Airfix 1/48 Spitfire FR Mk. XIV

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Dubsy
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Staff

Airfix 1/48 Spitfire FR Mk. XIV

Post by Dubsy » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:55 pm

A return to the RAF for this one, with James Prendergast's Lazy Lady V. A decent kit from Airfix, but I had some (hopefully mostly concealed) trouble with the fit on the wings, and Eduard's Mk IX definitely beats it on detail. I must admit some temptation to do it in campaign markings, but not being a high-back it would be a bit much of a leap. Someone really needs to get a high-back 1/48 XIV out, I'm not quite up to the kitbashing required.

I think this one is a decent step forwards for me. I had a bit more restraint and care with the chipping, though it's still on the heavy side. I did it in the old-fashioned way with a new very fine brush and silver paint. I was more careful with sanding and polishing the paint and gloss layer to get a better finish. Main issue, apart from the wing joints not quite lining up as I assembled it, was a pretty ineffective attempt at covering up the fuselage seams with modelling putty. I think I need a bit more practice with it, and some finer sandpaper.

As an interesting comparison, this is it compared to the first of my 'recent' models, a rather bizarre and garish Mk IX from late 2020 (it was the skin I had in WT at the time), from the days when 'varnish', 'enamel' and 'thinning' were scary words I tried to avoid. Definitely some progression!
"I am going to have these ships delivered on time and if you fail me your houses will be made a dunghill and your wives liquidated"
- Jackie Fisher, 1914

ArcEye
Leutnant
Leutnant
contributor

Re: Airfix 1/48 Spitfire FR Mk. XIV

Post by ArcEye » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:24 pm

Looks good mate. I haven't made a spit since 2020 when I started modelling again might need to have a bash at one soon.

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:37 pm

I’m jealous. I’ll build again one day. These look good n
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Rob
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Rob » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:07 pm

That looks great, nice job

Reginald
Unterfeldwebel
Unterfeldwebel

Post by Reginald » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:51 pm

Great job on this kit. I wish I had such talent. The only thing I can do is sell the things.