Eduard 1/48 spitfire Vb Trop 601 squadron

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

ArcEye
Leutnant
Leutnant
contributor

Eduard 1/48 spitfire Vb Trop 601 squadron

Post by ArcEye » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:57 pm

So this is my build of Eduards Southern star boxset Spifire Vb painted to match Squadron leader Stanislaw Skalskis plane in Italy 1943. The plane was damaged in a strafing practice a few months after this paint schemes time with another unit.

As always started in the cokpit drilling out some holes for extra detail and fitting a ton of photo etch which got quite tiresome in the end.

I then black based the model to give some modulation under the Paint.

This is a picture of the plane after paint with gloss coat and decals applied.

Bit of a Nightmare when this decal ripped and I left it for a week or two in annoyance.

Bought some Vallejo model air Signal blue and used a mix of rlm 23 and black to spray the decal damage. Managed to snag the cannon in my T shirt and snap the end of in the process ><.

Nightmare number 2 the interior green base i used for the cockpit had got under the mask and stained the front screen. Blondi suggested using a touch of thinners on a cotton bud and luckily it came off.

Did some initial weathering.

Wasn't happy with the effect so ordered some different shade oils and set to work. Was worried I went to far before i gave it a satin clear coat but I really like the finished effect.

Paints used were Mainly Mr Hobby Aqeuos, some 3rd gen Ak interactive for the Azure blue and interior Green, Tamiya Clears. Oils were a mix of cheapo Works stuff and a dust shade by Abteilung with Ak interactive odourless thinner.

Muddy
Major
Major
ACG Board
contributor

Re: Eduard 1/48 spitfire Vb Trop 601 squadron

Post by Muddy » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:36 am

Tip top dude. Desert camo ftw!
AMD 5800X3D || PNY RTX4080 16GB || 64GB DDR4 3600 || PICO 4
VPC Warbird-d / Constellation Alpha || VPC CM3 + BLACK SHARK PANEL || MFG CROSSWIND

Dubsy
Squadron Leader
Squadron Leader
Staff

Post by Dubsy » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:29 am

Lovely as always, really interesting to see the full process. Cool that it has the Aboukir dust filter.
"I am going to have these ships delivered on time and if you fail me your houses will be made a dunghill and your wives liquidated"
- Jackie Fisher, 1914

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:42 pm

Terrific effort. If you have a circle cutter, making masks to paint the roundels is easy. I could always send you some cut out if you try another Brit subject. The Silhouette cutter has been a great modeling tool.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

ArcEye
Leutnant
Leutnant
contributor

Post by ArcEye » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:50 pm

Yeah I think I'll definitely spray Roundels from now on. Thanks for the offer of stencils Tex, I might take you up on that at some point.

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:11 pm

Despite all your probs you really did a great job. Awesome paint and weathering.

secu :B:

Reginald
Unterfeldwebel
Unterfeldwebel

Post by Reginald » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:15 pm

You are a master builder and this Spitfire kit proves it. I'm anxiously waiting for the Revell Hurricane to arrive. Have you seen pictures of the new Border Model Fw190? It looks awesome, especially the engine details. Check out my website: modelairplanedepot.com. ACG members get 10% off their purchases. Just use the following promo code: ACGMEMBER when you check out.

Reginald

ArcEye
Leutnant
Leutnant
contributor

Post by ArcEye » Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:58 pm

Reginald wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:15 pm
You are a master builder and this Spitfire kit proves it. I'm anxiously waiting for the Revell Hurricane to arrive. Have you seen pictures of the new Border Model Fw190? It looks awesome, especially the engine details. Check out my website: modelairplanedepot.com. ACG members get 10% off their purchases. Just use the following promo code: ACGMEMBER when you check out.

Reginald
Thanks for the kind words Reggie, still much to learn but feel this is one of my best builds so far.

I have seen the Border FW190 and it does look very good but I've never built an aircraft bigger than 1/48 scale and don't really have the room to put the kits I have built so far/ Have in the stash.

I looked at your website but sadly the Shipping to the UK makes it a bit ineffective cost wise even with the Discount added. Nice range you have on there though.