1/24th Scale Me109 build thread

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Cerberus

Re: Models exposed.

Post by Cerberus » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:13 pm

27.png
I now started to turn my attention to the painting, starting with a pre shade of all the panel lines and I do mean ALL the panel lines. Now some prefer to do this with the airbrush others with a hairy stick, but whatever works for you, I did mine with thin paint on a hairy stick. Looks a bit odd but give it a try. Incidentally you don't have to but I just prefer the finished look on my models. For those that don't know when you apply your paint over this pre shade using the trusty airbrush later on you want a little of the darker colour to come through or bleed through the final colour. It is in effect a shadow effect on your panel lines or subtle weathering in effect.
28.png
30.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cerberus on Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:20 pm

31.png
The keen eyed amongst you will have noted that there is a "little snapper" in the photo, this is my 1 /72 Airfix Me109 E7 Trop, its having the same technique applied just to prove that these techniques work in any scale. Talk about "little" and "large". The other reason is I don't want to loose perspective working in 1/24 scale as I have done since January and forgetting how to tackle the smaller 1/72 that I usually work in.

Pre shaded wheel well from a "low down" perspective, hope you like the result.
32.png
First coat of RLM 65 over the pre shade.
33.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cerberus on Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:24 pm

Beautiful. I wish I had those skills.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:26 pm

34.png
36.png
Finally another shot of the little fella.
37.png
Hope you enjoyed the blog so far, I know it was a big update this time, keep plugging away at your builds, I will update you again soon.

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:27 pm

cerberus.png

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:40 pm

Looking good Ceberus and I'm looking forward to starting on mine. It's interesting to see how you've done the wheel wells. I've been wondering how to deal with those.

Are you gluing the engine cowls in - or leaving them removable? What is their fit like given that this model is from a mould from the 1970's?

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:35 pm

Hi Bonkin ,
The cowlings will be removable to show off all that Lovelly engine detail. I will be securing them with a little bit of blue tac, on their insides, it's simple and won't be seen but hey it works. The fit of the cowlings was not as bad as some reports I have heard suggest , my model had about a 0.5 mm gap on one side which I fiddled with and built up the engine cowling on that side with plastic card and filler. Page 5 on my thread covers it. I made it a bit more difficult as I mounted the electric motor inside the engine so the prop will spin and had to deal with the wiring, no massive traumas though. Be careful to line up both cowlings with the front windscreen glass when you do as the front glazing could be potentially be tilted and the canopy could be twisted off from being level. I had to build up the smaller cowling in front of the windscreen on one side as well making it all line up. Incidently if you sand back the inside if the engine cowling just by where the machine guns poke through it helps quite a bit to. My cowling sits better now and with the pre shade this helps improve the looks as well but the fit does need work. You will be fine with it honestly.☺

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:46 pm

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:24 pm

Verry good work. I always use an airbrush for preshading but your way works well and seems more simple.

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:20 pm

Latest update on the Airfix 1/24 ME109. Continuing with the paint scheme, I applied the first coat of RLM02 over the pre shaded panel lines over all respective area's of the airframe, having left this to dry I then made masks out of thin cardboard and secured them to the airframe in accordance with the paint instructions. This was by blue tac which lifted the cardboard about 1mm off the surface of the aircraft wit the use of the "little balls" technique!!! The methodology was that the vast majority of ME 109 aircraft had a feather edge between camouflage colours and by doing this technique and spraying straight down over the raised cardboard the effect will be the same. Not so prevalent in 1/72 scale but in 1/24 in my opinion it needed to be done. Pictures and results below.
44.png
43.png
48.png
Last edited by Cerberus on Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.