Albion Refueler

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Albion Refueler

Post by Tex » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:22 pm

I found this model while on a recent business trip. Working on it while I await the arrival of masks for Bunny's Bird.
These new Airfix models are quite nice. Fit is good, instructions are mostly very clear and the decals perform well. The molding and plastic are also good. Not much bad to say about this little model.

Still have to paint the camouflage and weather it a bit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Re: Albion Refueler

Post by Secu » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:37 am

Nice, I'm interrested in british vehicles colours, what about this one ? What is the name given by Airfix for these, khaki ?, bronze green ?, or RAF dark earth and dark green ?.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:42 am

Bottom image

"It's fucked Sir"

:lol:

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:20 pm

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:17 pm

I did a little research on he RAF vehicle colors. Maddeningly, it looks like they did not simply use the same paints as were used on aircraft. Best I can learn, they used colors that were a slight variation on the aircraft hues. The Airfix instructions call out the normal Humbrol paint codes. I seem to have a few other Airfix plane models on my desk at the moment. A comparison of the call outs in the two showed they use the same Green color but a slightly different brown. The online research indicated to me that the tones varied but the Brown was described as a bit more Olive than aircraft Brown.
I decided to use some of my old Aero Masters dark earth as it has a nice "olive" tint in my opinion.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:20 pm

I just noticed he light in the two photos really makes the brown color look different. Top photo which I think is more "brown" is more like what it looks like in real life.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Good news, the camouflage and markings masks for Bunny's Bird are finally on their way across the pond. That means, I need to wrap up work on the Ably so I can focus on finishing his Hurricane. I did a quick weathering job on it, going fairly light on the assumption that the ground equipment was kept in reasonably good shape. I did insert a small hole in the cab window in honor of Jammy. You'll have to look hard to find it though.
I still have not decided on the final positioning of the refueling arms. so the astute among you will likely notice that the hoses are not fully connected to the pumping mechanism. I found an Eduard detail set for the Hurricane and may do the full open panel job on one. If so, I will likely substitute thin solder for the hose on one of the arms and deploy it as if it is refueling the bird.
Ah for future plans. . .

More research indicates that I probably got the wrong color for the "brown" shade. I used the same color Earth that I used on the Hurricanes from my old Aeromaster bottle. (Love that shade) But I recently found research that states the ground units used different hues than were used on the planes. No plans to repaint, although my OCD sure pulls me to consider it, and I will just pretend that the boys at 501 decided to make everything uniformly colored in the unit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:45 pm

:nice:

In truth, I can imagine 501 not really wanting to waste good brown paint once the lid's been prised off, so anything needing a lick of paint would have ended up the same Earth colour as the Hurricanes. Nigsy had better watch out :D

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:56 pm

Class :)

Yeah and to make it authentic a Nigsy piss stain on the wheel would look great :lol:

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:08 pm