Airfix 1/48 scale Hawker Hurricane Mk1 discontinued

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Airfix 1/48 scale Hawker Hurricane Mk1 discontinued

Post by Tex » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:22 pm

Well, I have finally had confirmation of what I have been fearing. Just had word from Airfix that they have discontinued the Hawker Hurricane Mk1 Battle of Britain model. I fortunately, have had a chance to build several for my friends in 501. Sadly, I did not purchase enough to complete the entire set. The model came with 501 markings, which made it a easy start, and was a nice build. I believe the Sea Hurricane and Desert versions, which are still currently available, contain the same parts as the discontinued model but lack the decals.
Here is why I am writing. If you are so inclined, ship off an email to Airfix's marketing and development team about bringing the model back. The email I had was customercare@hornby.com and the website is www.hornbyhobbies.co.uk. Given this is a British outfit, I would think they should understand how important the Hurri is. Of course, it could be staffed with a bunch of brylcreem Spitfire types, which would explain a lot.
Finally, if you should happen to see any for sale in a local hobby store, let me know.
Last edited by Tex on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Broadsword

Re: Airfix 1/48 scale Hawker Hurricane Mk! discontinued

Post by Broadsword » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Want us to snaffle up any that we see at Duxford ? :D
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:33 pm

It's official Tex - you've eaten yourself through an entire production batch of MkI Hurricanes!!

I'll fire an email off, and check our local model shops for any that might be lying around. It'd be worth checking with Bully, to see if his shop has any in :nice:

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Nev

Post by Nev » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:44 pm

I tried looking online in the uk rarer than hens teeth :?

Shame I wanted to try and build one.

Always above, seldom on the same level, never underneath.

- Edward Mannock 73 victories

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Re: Airfix 1/48 scale Hawker Hurricane Mk1 discontinued

Post by Tex » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:56 pm

Truth be told, I have squirreled one away. It may have been destined to carry SD-T at some point.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Biggs

Post by Biggs » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:37 pm

Email sent Tex, just as you asked!

Subject title: More Spitfires and less flying sheds!

mission accomplished glad I could help :salute:

Kondor

Post by Kondor » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:53 am

Tex, the trop Hurricane Mk.I contains all the parts you'd need to build a BoB Hurri. The tropical air filter can be ommitted and standard chin installed instead, the problem would be to find No.501 decals on aftermarket or just to print them yourself.
Here's how sprues of Hurricane Mk.I Trop look like and what you'd need to do:
I'm sure such an experienced modeller as yourself will manage to swap these bits using just one hand :salute:
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you, He will not fail you or forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:23 am

Tex, I've still got my one sitting in a box as new. I think I might bring it to you whenever we meet up when you're over.