The DH2 and it's biggest drawback !

The original knights of the skies

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Meaker

The DH2 and it's biggest drawback !

Post by Meaker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:02 pm

After putting in many hours now flying the DH2 I found the biggest flaw to be the rear view,the blindspot caused by the engine mounted on the back is just bloody terrible,lol

Couple this major drawback with the very underpowered 'flymo' of an engine,and the whole package is nothing more than a 1916 widowmaker.I will definitely be taking along one's trusty Webley service revolver for tonight's shenanigans.....just in case things turn decidedly bleak mid battle with the Hun.

This being said I am ready to stand shoulder to shoulder with my fellow RFC comrades,or as I prefer to think of us as ' Ginger's twenty minuters ' :D

Nev

Re: The DH2 and it's biggest drawback !

Post by Nev » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Rudder is your friend Meaks :nice:

Always above, seldom on the same level, never underneath.

- Edward Mannock 73 victories

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:07 pm

Perhaps a pocket periscope should be on your shopping list! :mrgreen:

The pilot shall be considered to have above-average intelligence and normal (average) common sense.

NATOPS A1-F18AC-NFM-000, Preface, p. 55.

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:20 pm

@ Nev......of course mate,nothing like a bit of rudder pedal dancing at 10,000 ft........however,being honest here and hand on heart,I was never a great shot during my Campaign days,but boy,could I dance my way out of trouble when the Bosch were on my tail,back in the day :D

@Vanguard........That's it,that's what's needed here,a bally periscope,top idea Vanguard,in fact all,ideas being researched at the moment,before going over the top tonight.......love the advert mate,however at 12/6,I can't see the RFC stumping up the readies for this piece of kit.

No......I like this idea,get a mate(probably not wise to ask ya best buddy)to sit in a rearwards facing position with a machine gun in ya bath tub,wilst you fly.......nothing funny going on though of course,cough,cough,cough !.........however just remember to shout DUCK ! to him,before you open fire yourself.

Is it me,or does this French WW1 fighter resemble Jules Verne's Nautilus.......portholes in an aircraft,what's going here ?,it's not as if Pierre here,is gonna be able to use the bloody thing anyway :nuts:

DUCK Pierre,Eindekker on our 12'o clock !......daga,daga,daga...... :lol:

Toast

Post by Toast » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:01 pm

Think it’s biggest drawback is that it actually flew, and therefore, used.

Anything apart from the Eindecker it’s totally outclassed. Jumping into a Pup or similar early days aircraft feels like a massive leap forward.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:24 pm

Brought in to stop the Fokker scourge and stop it it did.

Meaks, you aren't facing 109's, what are you worried about? Also, try to think of the positives.

1. The engine block is the first bit of armour plating ever introduced
2. When it catches fire you'll be fine

:nice:

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:32 pm

The great thing about starting with the DH2 is we get to appreciate the newer aircraft as they arrive and see the advancements that are made.

Plus to start with we’re up against Eindeckers which is what the DH2 is designed to take out.

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:13 pm

The view in the DH.2 is glorious! On our long jaunts I like to crack open a decent bottle of Chablis and admire the scenery - such fun.

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Secu
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Staff

Post by Secu » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:52 pm

And it will be a great honour to be shot down in such a typical British plane... :mrgreen:

Nev

Post by Nev » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:33 pm

Bunny wrote:The view in the DH.2 is glorious! On our long jaunts I like to crack open a decent bottle of Chablis and admire the scenery - such fun.
I agree bunny plenty of room for a picnic hamper old bean.

Always above, seldom on the same level, never underneath.

- Edward Mannock 73 victories