Meaks's WW1 Gun Sight Zeroing Tutorial

The original knights of the skies

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Meaker

Meaks's WW1 Gun Sight Zeroing Tutorial

Post by Meaker » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:19 pm

OK,we all know that to hit anything flying in combat,firstly we need to set up our gun equipment correctly,and especially our gunsights,for those of you that are not aware how to do this within RoF,this is for you.

How To Zero Your Gun Sight

1. Whilst in cockpit,get into the position you would normally be in when flying,sitting comfortably ? this is important,then simply PAUSE your TrackIR,the default is F9.

2. Then using the default RoF keyboard commands adjust your view to sight,the commands are thus.

DELETE = LEFT
END = RIGHT
PAGE UP = UP
PAGE DOWN = DOWN
INSERT = FORWARD
HOME = BACK

When you are happy with the view you have altered,press F10 to save the view.
Then press PAUSE again,with the F9 key,to release your TrackIR back to it’s normal panning view.
Right Job Done !

After you have done this your view down your sight should look like this below.,note how central the inner bead/ring is.

Now when you open fire,your chances of hitting something will be greatly increased,get in really close and open up your guns,using 1-2 second bursts.Of course your gun range to target will also play a big part.I actually have my range set to 75 metres which is very close,however,when I am in range,as in the picture below,note the Albatross filling my sight,my guns will do damage.

You'll find,when you have your gun sight is set up up correctly,the results are more than satisfying :D

Last edited by Meaker on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shadepiece

Re: Meaks's WW1 Gun Sight Zeroing Tutorial

Post by Shadepiece » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:51 pm

That's a good tutorial right there!. For the German planes I actually save my head position a bit off centered to allow me to easily slide in behind my gunsight that is actually mounted on the MG itself.

Toast

Post by Toast » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:46 pm

This is also good demo - using parts of aircraft rather than gunsight can be easier on some machines

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:58 pm

Yeah,hehe :D ......that's much better than my attempt,kinda put's mine in the shade a tad.

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Shadepiece wrote:That's a good tutorial right there!. For the German planes I actually save my head position a bit off centered to allow me to easily slide in behind my gunsight that is actually mounted on the MG itself.
Thanks Shadepiece,yes,something I did fail to mention is that a different view can be saved to each aircraft you have in your collection.

So the view saved for say,an SE5a,which has a pretty much central view,will be different to that of an Albatross DVa which as Shadepiece points out,is one of these German aircraft that has an offset view.In fact the Albatross DVa's view is mounted on the MG,which is sited on the left side of the aircraft,and requires the gunsight altering,so that you are viewing it through the circular cutout in the windshield.

These different views are also highlighted in the Youtube video that Toast has uploaded.

I have now altered and saved every aircraft view within my RoF aircraft collection,so despite which aircraft I choose to fly,on load up,I'll be sitting in that chosen aircraft with the view that I have altered /saved for it......perfect.

This really does make the difference gents.If you haven't done so far,I advise you to do likewise.

Happy days :D