Macnihilist

RoF events still a thing?

Post by Macnihilist » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Hello friends of cloth and plywood,

What is the state of affairs regarding our RoF-events? Specifically:
* which planes do you fly?
* when?
* and what do I need to join?
I realized that this game actually runs quite decently on my laptop, and I'd like to see how it holds up online. If it does I can at least get some virtual flying in before I buy a new, over-expensive, rich-kid VR gaming PC.

Cheers,
Mac

Miek

Re: RoF events still a thing?

Post by Miek » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Some squadrons still fly, yep. Spectre and I fly on Fridays (when we can, its not always an assured thing) at 8pm EST. We're flying mostly Neiuport 17s and SPADs. Can't speak for the others but I think a few still get up in the air.

The N17 requires only to download the base Rise of Flight United game. It's one of the free planes. Spectre and I actually own most of them but we chose the N17 in case anyone wanted to join who didn't buy any of the extras. A flight stick is a must, otherwise the flying bit is a bit hard. Throttle/Pedals make a better experience. TrackIR is a heaven-sent if you can afford it.

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:09 pm

No.29 squadron is very much alive and kicking, led by our fearless (literally - he'll headbutt anything out of the skies) Pariah, but unfortunately we have a full complement. There must be enough chaps other than us to get something together on a more permanent basis?

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:56 pm

My 'crew' ended up a bit like one of Hitler's phantom armies, so I gave up after buying loads of the fucking aircraft :veryangry:

Shadepiece

Post by Shadepiece » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:08 pm

I really wish I had time to get Jasta 7 up on Fridays as well, but just can't seem to fit it in my tight schedule with all the work with BoX to be done at the moment. Not to mention the turnout was dwindling. I have recently been joining the JG1 Teamspeak on Thursday nights. They alternate populating the Cuban and Wargrounds servers, and usually there's 30 people in the server, which unfortunately is a pretty big deal for RoF. If you want even more, I have been participating in Flanders in Flames with JG1. It's a competition style weekly event that I posted a thread about here. It did just end for the next month, but there is an event called Bloody April that J5 runs, and that should be announced any day.

Spectre

Post by Spectre » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:20 pm

As Miek said, we run on Friday @ 9:00pm but *I* am sometimes falling asleep at my desk like an idiot - so thanks for Miek and his endless patience for my crap. We are always welcome to more people but the EST part usually means that most people will be long asleep by the time we start (LIKE MYSELF). We are doing a very casual approach so we chat and banter all the way to and through the fight and although it isn't "Realistic" it is way more enjoyable for a Friday night usually full of technical issues, me being late + tired, and probably a beer or two in.
"On the edge of destiny, you must test your strength"
- Air Marshal Billy Bishop

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:37 am

If anyone else is interested in getting a crew together for a weekly squadron get in touch. I can talk you through the setup and how to host. We use Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator to create the missions but as Bunny says 29 squadron is very much full.

If there is a good few of you it might be worth deciding what you want to fly and deciding on who to host the game.

Macnihilist

Post by Macnihilist » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:24 pm

@Miek: If you're going to fly this friday, I'll try to show up. (Probably in a state of coffee-induced vigil coma, since Friday 9 pm EST is Saturday 2 am for me, and I'm getting old, but still...)

@Shadepiece: Thanks, I'll keep an eye on the servers you mentioned and the FiF-event.

In the meantime I'll be hanging out in the RoF TS channel from time to time, in case anybody wants to do some ad-hoc casual flying.

Shadepiece

Post by Shadepiece » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:01 pm

Not sure how populated the RoF TS is normally, but you might find more people to fly with by joining JG1's TS or J5's TS. A lot of squads tend to hangout in their own channels.

Miek

Post by Miek » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:55 pm

Macnihilist wrote:@Miek: If you're going to fly this friday, I'll try to show up. (Probably in a state of coffee-induced vigil coma, since Friday 9 pm EST is Saturday 2 am for me, and I'm getting old, but still...)
Sounds good! Either I or Spectre will be there I'm sure. America just had its stupid daylight savings time so I'm not sure when is when at this point. Feel free to ad me on Steam as well: No.615_Miek and you might catch me there easier. Same with spectre. If it's too late for you mate, no worries.