Driving tanks

WW2 tactical shooter reliving Operation Market Garden.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Driving tanks

Post by Tex » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Finally got on Post Scriptum last night and had my first go at the game. Maybe the veterans know how to help.
I decided to try operating tanks. I noticed that it was very difficult to turn them. Found you have to start moving forward, mash the turn key and be rewarded with a minimal deviation in my direction of travel.
My question: Is this the way it is supposed to work or am I missing some magical keystroke combination?

I really struggled with this while driving the Stug as it requires the entire vehicle to be repositioned to aim.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Broadsword

Re: Driving tanks

Post by Broadsword » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:53 pm

Have turned off the tailwheel lock?
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Berethor

Post by Berethor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:03 pm

well back in the day most tanks didn't have the ability to neutral steer (one track forward while the other turns backwards)
so you had to combine the turn with either a forward or backward movement of the vehicle. (the stug for example)
No idea though why you have this minimal deviation only. Are you sure you weren't side on to a obstacle that was hampering your turning ability?

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:42 pm

I was tooling around in the open area of a training server. Initially, I thought I had hit something too but checked and that was not the case. For example, took out a Panther and drove it out away from the spawn camping nuts. Then, tried to turn back to face the base area. I found I could not turn very well while moving forward and had to stop, reverse, get a bit of turn, go forward, turn, get a bit more turn, back, rinse repeat. I found it very akward and assumed I was doing it wrong. I did realize about the neutral steer but, since I have never driven a tank before, did not know if that was what was happening.
And Broadie, I did check for the tailwheel lock.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:42 pm

I was tooling around in the open area of a training server. Initially, I thought I had hit something too but checked and that was not the case. For example, took out a Panther and drove it out away from the spawn camping nuts. Then, tried to turn back to face the base area. I found I could not turn very well while moving forward and had to stop, reverse, get a bit of turn, go forward, turn, get a bit more turn, back, rinse repeat. I found it very akward and assumed I was doing it wrong. I did realize about the neutral steer but, since I have never driven a tank before, did not know if that was what was happening.
And Broadie, I did check for the tailwheel lock.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Berethor

Post by Berethor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:37 pm

I'll check it out myself tomorrow Tex, currently i'm busy hunting monster who pack a much heavier punch than a tank ;)

Berethor

Post by Berethor » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:30 am

just played around a bit, seems like you turn best at around 15 kph depending on the tank. that's when you reach sick hull traverse times otherwise, it really is as bad as you described it. It wasn't like that before, maybe it's a bug that came with the most recent patch.

IronJockel

Post by IronJockel » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Berethor wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:03 pm
well back in the day most tanks didn't have the ability to neutral steer (one track forward while the other turns backwards)
so you had to combine the turn with either a forward or backward movement of the vehicle. (the stug for example)
No idea though why you have this minimal deviation only. Are you sure you weren't side on to a obstacle that was hampering your turning ability?
Since the Panzer III line all German tanks could do neutral steer. This is a inaccuracy in the game. Including the absence of Tiger 2, as the Schwere Panzer Abteilung 506 had actually more of them (28) than Tiger I (12).
I had been telling Hitler for over a year, since my first flight in an Me-262, that only Focke Wulf Fw-190 fighter production should continue in conventional aircraft, to discontinue the Me-109, which was outdated, and to focus on building a massive jet-fighter force. - Galland
Any idiot could fly a Spitfire, but it took a lot of training to fly a 109. - Gerald Stapleton

Berethor

Post by Berethor » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:00 pm

IronJockel wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:38 pm
Since the Panzer III line all German tanks could do neutral steer. This is a inaccuracy in the game. Including the absence of Tiger 2, as the Schwere Panzer Abteilung 506 had actually more of them (28) than Tiger I (12).
hm okay, I thought it only came later on with Tigers.
Currently, I would rather describe it as a bug since tanks had moved a lot better before.

BTW what about Tiger 2 not being in the game that's totally irrelevant to the discussion, if it's a problem for you sent a message to the devs with your source.

Lexius

Post by Lexius » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:37 pm

i found that driving forward a bit then holding the left/right(depending on where you want to go) key you'll turn slowly first but will turn faster if you hold the key