Opentrack is twitching

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Opentrack is twitching

Post by Kit Pepper » Wed May 05, 2021 3:41 pm

OK, so I thought I had my Opentrack headtracking working well enough to be able to function in Tobruk. It was smooth and had no problems... yesterday. Today however, (this is what I love about computers), without changing anything it's acting squirrely as hell, twitching so much that it's unusable. I can fly with it. I didn't change a thing. What gives? Anyone have this issue?

Konaber

Re: Opentrack is twitching

Post by Konaber » Wed May 05, 2021 3:51 pm

Probably some "Gain" settings need tweaking.
I found out the time of the day matters a lot, too. Damn sun interfering with the IR LEDs.

Try adjusting the gain settings until it only sees the 3 LEDs in a proper clear manner.

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Wed May 05, 2021 4:02 pm

Konaber wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:51 pm
Probably some "Gain" settings need tweaking.
I found out the time of the day matters a lot, too. Damn sun interfering with the IR LEDs.

Try adjusting the gain settings until it only sees the 3 LEDs in a proper clear manner.
I'm not sure what you mean by "gain" settings. I will say though, that I have never had lighting issues before, and I eliminated that possibility by drawing the curtains, so the room is blacked out. It had no effect on the "twitching".

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Wed May 05, 2021 4:24 pm

I deleted the app and downloaded the latest version on Opentrack 2.3.13, and it still is still twitching.
What drives me crazy is that it was fine yesterday, and for no apparent reason it's twitching today. And it's twitching so bad that it's impossible to use.

Konaber

Post by Konaber » Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm

Kit Pepper wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:24 pm
I deleted the app and downloaded the latest version on Opentrack 2.3.13, and it still is still twitching.
What drives me crazy is that it was fine yesterday, and for no apparent reason it's twitching today. And it's twitching so bad that it's impossible to use.
Can you do a screenshot of the Program while it is active?
Should look like this:
Maybe I can spot your problem.

Welshy
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Welshy » Wed May 05, 2021 5:36 pm

I have this problem when there are light sources in view of the camera. When it worked was it later in the evening (no sun). Do you have a light on behind or reflecting off a surface behind the camera. This tends to confuse the head tracking.
Mae'n hawdd bod yn ddewr y tu ôl i wal castell

Scooby

Post by Scooby » Wed May 05, 2021 5:44 pm

if it works using ir then check any curtains are shut and dont light a candle, that last 1 caused me nightmares lol

Woop

Post by Woop » Wed May 05, 2021 6:12 pm

My TrackIR 5 twitches in Cliffs too, which hella annoying but I haven't been able to fix it... Believe it's down to the reflectors on the hat getting a bit worn.

Konaber

Post by Konaber » Wed May 05, 2021 7:58 pm

This is the gain setting that fixed my issues with the twitching:

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Thu May 06, 2021 1:39 pm

Konaber wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:58 pm
This is the gain setting that fixed my issues with the twitching:
Sorry I didn't get back sooner Kon. My gain is set the same as yours.

Rostic and I tried everything and couldn't find a fix. At supper time I gave up for the day.

We found that the "Status - Camera Info: " value is jumping (twitching) from 2/13/75 FPS very fast. All in a spit second, over and over. I think that is showing where the twitching is accruing, but we don't know how to make it stop. I believe that it should be stable at 75 FPS.