SSD/hardisk combo vs large SSD

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Welshy
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

SSD/hardisk combo vs large SSD

Post by Welshy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:03 pm

hi,
just looking for some advice really. ive currently got a single 1TB mechanical HD and im looking to upgrade im abit pushed for space as i never keep my HD more than 60% full so i may need more space. my question is do i go for a single 1TB SSD or a smaller SSD with a 2 TB HD? the combo option seems to be a lot cheaper and i get more space. are there any pros and cons for either of these setups i should be aware of before i commit to buy? usability maybe? which is faster? are SSDs ok to use as a main drive (lots of installing and unistalling etc..)?
Mae'n hawdd bod yn ddewr y tu ôl i wal castell

Woop

Re: SSD/hardisk combo vs large SSD

Post by Woop » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:10 pm

What I'd do, is get a small SSD just for the operating system and keep the large HD for storage. Then I'd get another medium size SSD to put games on, which need a good HD to work well, like DCS or ArmA3.

Rich

Post by Rich » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:20 pm

I found that flight Sims stuttered a bit on hdd significantly including box and was glad to upgrade to a ssd. I always had my operating system on ssd but 250gb was much too small. Now I have 250gb and a 1tb drive both ssd. The stuttering I had before was around loading scenery and sounds, that is gone now.

Plus dcs requires ssd and it absolutely mammoth in the amount of memory taken up. That said I am sure plenty of people are playing box on hdd, they may have better hdd than I had or they might be playing at lower fps.

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:20 pm

Yeah Imo the perfect solution is to get a 100GB SSD for your OS and stuff, larger 500-1000GB SSD for your favourite games and then a cheap, large HDD for anything else.

Matt
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Sqn Cdr

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:30 pm

I've got an SSD for the OS and a very large SDD for the games....

Ebuyer.com is normally reasonable

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:16 am

I use one SSD for OS and program files. Then another SSD for 'non-crucial' stuff like games and test/temporary program files. Finally I use a NAS with standard HDDs (Western Reds) in RAID for file storage - nothing lives on my PC that I don't want to lose should it die/get stolen/spontaneously combust. That NAS is backed up daily to another NAS in a different part of the house (separate garage), and it's also backed up to a pocketable portable drive, which I always forget to pocket.

I'm paranoid, but having lost work many moons ago, I couldn't afford to have it happen again.

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams