Hardware recomendations for VR

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Ginger
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
ACG Board
contributor
Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Re: Hardware recomendations for VR

Post by Ginger » Thu May 07, 2020 2:21 pm

Cheers Django :nice:
DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Crane

Post by Crane » Thu May 07, 2020 6:38 pm

Django wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:48 pm
I have the Reverb and find it great for DCS and IL-2. Love the immersion. I also use the free version of voiceattack which allows you to "press" keyboard keys by saying a word or words (eg: the escape key can't be mapped to a joystick button in IL-2 so I just say "escape" and the menu pops up).

HP OMEN 17" Laptop

i7 -9750H, RTX2070, 16Gb RAM, HP REVERB PRO 2
Hey Django, how sharp is you image in the Reverb? Do you also experiance a crisp image at the centre that gets blurry moving out to the sides?

Django

Post by Django » Fri May 08, 2020 6:37 pm

Yes, a bit. I just get used to turning my head rather than looking to the side of the headset. I don't really notice it. My image is really sharp. I've read a lot of stuff that people have kindly posted on various forums and followed their lead. I've tried comparing VR with 2D play on a monitor. When we went back to CLOD for a previous campaign I loathed it because of the lack of VR support. I used to play IL-2 in 4k but I can't go back. In fact, my previous VR headset (Lenovo Explorer) which has a much lower resolution was still preferable to playing with a monitor and TrackIR.
I do (or did) a lot of travelling for work and am away from home quite often so my setup of Laptop, VR Headset and T15000 stick works great for me. I also built a USB Button Box to give me some more buttons. Not so much for IL-2 as for DCS. Those bloody jets have a lot of stuff you have to press.

Crane

Post by Crane » Fri May 08, 2020 7:44 pm

I understand and feel the same way about VR vs Monitor, there's no going back. One can only imagine how gaming will be in 5 to 10 years...

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Fri May 08, 2020 8:21 pm

Likewise. I hate CloD nowadays because of lack of VR support - I can't go back either.

Jackman
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan
contributor

Post by Jackman » Tue May 12, 2020 1:56 pm

I have the Rift S and for me it's great with general vr games. But my issue is I struggle to run it on BOX with only about 25 FPS.
My pc spec is
Gtx 1080
I5 6600 3.5gHz
16 GB of Ram 3000MHz
Running on SSD drive
I think the main issue is my CPU only has 4 cores and 4 Threads.
Am looking at a big upgrade this year on my PC with a CPU 9900k a 2080ti and faster RAM. Then I should be good to go on VR.
The Rift S is very comfortable and with the inside out tracking you need nothing else to run it.

May today be better than yesterday, but, not as good as tomorrow.

Flyby
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by Flyby » Fri May 22, 2020 12:10 am

Jackman wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:56 pm
I have the Rift S and for me it's great with general vr games. But my issue is I struggle to run it on BOX with only about 25 FPS.
My pc spec is
Gtx 1080
I5 6600 3.5gHz
16 GB of Ram 3000MHz
Running on SSD drive
I think the main issue is my CPU only has 4 cores and 4 Threads.
Am looking at a big upgrade this year on my PC with a CPU 9900k a 2080ti and faster RAM. Then I should be good to go on VR.
The Rift S is very comfortable and with the inside out tracking you need nothing else to run it.
Is the 9900k compatible with your current motherboard? If not, price that cpu against the new Intel 10600k or maybe go AMD 3600x. Here's a link showing comparisons: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... k+vs+3600x Both of these CPUs seem to have vrey good potential. but the 10600k has way more overclocking headroom, and that's what you need to feed a VR rig with a hungry GPU, as I understand it. Plus the Intel processor is only about $250.00 ~ $280.00 USD. It will require a new mobo too.
This video and similar is why I'd choose the Intel 10600k (it's close enough to the 9900k in performance that the price break favors the 10600k): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVBlCfb72M
As I said, it it's my choice. At half the price of the i9-9900K, it only loses 4~5% in performance, ie: 100 fps versus 95 fps (in gaming ) The price difference can be put towards a monster GPU with lots of ddr6 ram, good for a VR rig.
my two cents,
Flyby out
My Warrior creed:ACG; A good place to be.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Fri May 22, 2020 2:28 pm

Good points Flyby - but remember that VR is locked to frame rate, if it can't maintain (e.g. 90) it will drop to (e.g. 45) so sometimes that 5% performance differential costs significantly more then 5% in terms of frame loss. However, as you say money is always a consideration and i think your advice is good. If money is at all tight, look at the 10600k.

Flyby
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by Flyby » Fri May 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Donkey wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:28 pm
Good points Flyby - but remember that VR is locked to frame rate, if it can't maintain (e.g. 90) it will drop to (e.g. 45) so sometimes that 5% performance differential costs significantly more then 5% in terms of frame loss. However, as you say money is always a consideration and i think your advice is good. If money is at all tight, look at the 10600k.
Donkey, i was thinking the cost savings would be put towards a more capable GPU. I was under the impression that VR is more dependent on GPU performance (including lots of speedy VRAM), though a fast CPU is also essential. I'm hoping to purchase the HP Reverb somewhere along the way, Meanwhile my trusty i5-3570k is doing a yeoman's job as paired with my Zotac 1080-Mini GPU. Both are overclocked, and so not really challenged by BoS at this point, but may become a bit stressed if I strap on that Reverb.
Always appreciate added perspectives. :salute:
Flyby out
My Warrior creed:ACG; A good place to be.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Fri May 22, 2020 7:28 pm

So as a rule GPU > CPU for VR.... But complex flight sims are the exception to this rule (although not to the point where CPU > GPU, just that it's no longer the case of "all you need is GPU")! Why did we have to pick an expensive hobby??? :D :shock: