Hardware recomendations for VR

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Flyby
Leutnant
Leutnant

Re: Hardware recomendations for VR

Post by Flyby » Fri May 22, 2020 8:11 pm

Donkey, I got in when the price of aluminum (aluminium?) Was high and empty beer cans were plentiful. :D
I recall replacing my Orchid 3d GPU with a Matrox gpu which had a whopping 8 megs of ram versus the Orchid's 2 megs. Hot stuff! Also my modem connected me online at a blazing 14.4 kbps. I can hardly wait for 5G servers and new ACG campaigns.
Flyby out
My Warrior creed:ACG; A good place to be.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Fri May 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Which means you've spent more than most! :D

I remember matrox cards, they were great. Replaced mine with a PowerVR card.

Flyby
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by Flyby » Fri May 22, 2020 10:19 pm

Donkey wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:21 pm
Which means you've spent more than most! :D

I remember matrox cards, they were great. Replaced mine with a PowerVR card.
Yeah, wiped out our national debt that year. When I upgraded to a 28.8 modem the FBI started checking up on me and Brehznev! :lol:
Still, a 30mb download meant "check it in the morning".
I don't recall the PowerVR, but I have very fond memories of the ATi 9500 Pro. The good old golden days. :D
Flyby out

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Fri May 22, 2020 11:36 pm

PowerVR were a manufacturer of early 3D accelerators. Had one of those, then a 3DFX Voodoo, then a Voodoo2. Then ATI and nVidia took over the world...

The golden days indeed! :)

Flyby
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by Flyby » Sat May 23, 2020 2:43 pm

Donkey wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:36 pm
PowerVR were a manufacturer of early 3D accelerators. Had one of those, then a 3DFX Voodoo, then a Voodoo2. Then ATI and nVidia took over the world...

The golden days indeed! :)
to the golden days! :salute: :B:
Now start bank-robbing career to finance a 30xx GPU :vadar:
Flyby out

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Sat May 23, 2020 2:47 pm

yeah, those things won't be cheap...

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:34 pm

Crane wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:45 am
I switched from the Rift CV1 to the Reverb. After two weeks I can say the following:

Pro:
- Image clarity at the center of the FOV. Dials are nearly as clear as on a monitor.
- No FPS drop despite much higher resolution display

Cons:
- I'm quite disapointed by the bluryness of the image at the corners of the FOV. The Rift CV1 seemd to be better in that regard (it had an overall worse resolution display, but it was constant. The Reverb seems to have issues with the lens clarity moving out of centre.
- Going from 90degr to 114degr FOV doesn't seem that much.
- Missing the mechanical IPD adjustment.
- Spotting is harder, ID'ing is easyer (but thats just how contacts are rendered in the sim, same as with low / high resolution monitor)
- Less comfortable than the Rift
- Can't peek out under the nose to type (actually quite an issue)

Verdict:
Was the upgrade from the Rift CV1 worth it? I'd say yes, but just barely. I was able to sell the Rift for 250.- so it wasn't as expensive as I thought at first. Would I upgrade if I had a Rift S? No.
I'll wait and see what the Reverb G2 brings in and maybe switch if it ticks the boxes. But who knows when this will launch, with the whole crisis going on...
If you were buying your first headset. Would you go for the rift s or the reverb? How is user-friendliness with the reverb?
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Flyby
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by Flyby » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:36 pm

So far as my first-buy choice, the Reveb-G2 seems to be the most attractive to me. It's now improved over the G1 with better lenses, richer colors, and better sound; all thanks to it's HP's collaboration with Valve (Index). It also has a mechanical IPD adjustment, though the range of adjustment still finds me on the fringes, and I don't know how that will effect the experience for me. My ipd is 69 and the G2's range is 62~68. So banana heads and melon heads take note. :lol:
Flyby out
PS the G2 seems like a less expensive Index, and without the need for outside tracking towers.
Last edited by Flyby on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crane

Post by Crane » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:40 pm

Thaine wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:34 pm
If you were buying your first headset. Would you go for the rift s or the reverb? How is user-friendliness with the reverb?
If I was to buy a headset now, I would probably look for a cheap used one and upgrade to the HP Reverb G2, if it holds what it promises. If you're looking to buy a new Rift-s or Reverb now, it really comes down to your preferences. The Rift-s is a bit cheaper, more comfortable and requires a bit less setup on Steam than the Reverb. The Reverb has a sharper image, which makes spotting contacts harder and reading dials easier. Maybe if you want to fly fighters get the Rift-S and if you want to fly bombers get the Reverb.
Flyby wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:36 pm
So far as my first-buy choice, the Reveb-G2 seems to be the most attractive to me. It's now improved over the G1 with better lenses, richer colors, and better sound; all thanks to it's HP's collaboration with Valve (Index). It also have a mechanical IPD adjustment, though the range of adjustment still finds me on the fringes, and I don't know how that will effect the experience for me. My ipd is 69 and the G2's range is 62~68. So banana heads and melon heads take note. :lol:
Flyby out
PS the G2 seems like a less expensive Index, and without the need for outside tracking towers.
I agree.

Flyby
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by Flyby » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:31 pm

I forgot to mention that the G2 is said to have had it's sweet spot improved (for example, glancing around the cockpit with only your eyes, and not turning your head is better/more in focus now). As for contact-spotting, I'm using a 27-inch monitor with 2560 x 1440 rez. In BoX I'd better spot contacts before they get in gun range. I'm trying not to zoom in on contacts because of how disorienting it is when the contact engages its "cloaking device" at that magical distance. The resolution on the G2 isn't quite that high, so I'd take my chances when flying solo.

I'm waiting on test results for the new Intel 10600K , and for the coming Nvidia RTX 3070 (comparison to the RTX 2080ti). I'm hoping this combo will make my VR experience future-proof for the next couple of years. My current system is now 7 years old, but still handling BoX easily enough. Still, I'm open to suggestions as I do my due diligence before plopping down my therapy money. :nuts:
Flyby out