HDD to SSD

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Paddy

Re: HDD to SSD

Post by Paddy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:01 pm

Even if you cloned it, in Windows disk administrator you should see the full size of the disk - windows will query the disk for its size, not just look at a partition and say, “That’s all folks”.

You can use disk administrator to grow the disk into the unused disk portion.
Cheers,

Paddy
Group Captain John 'Paddy' Hemingway, we salute you

Louisa von Dart

Post by Louisa von Dart » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:54 pm

Yes, the original C drive was 256 GB and yes, I did clone it using a Third party software. EaseUS Todo Backup Home to be precise. I had no idea it would stuff things up so badly. I'm not keen on delving any further into the mire with their software. It took me ages to get the annual subscription for their " Free " trial cancelled. Bunch of rouges, liars and thieves in my book. Thanks for the replies but I'll leave it there until I need a new pc. It actually doesn't load games any faster using SSD which was a disappointment. C'est la vie.... or mine at any rate. Cheers, Louisa.
If I'm going down...it's with all guns firing !

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:53 pm

It's not that hard to resize a partition. I find windows disk administrator to be a bit hit and miss, but gparted (which is fully free) works every time. Although I admit it's somewhat Linux-y. All you need is a USB stick to boot it from and a couple of mouse clicks. There are plenty of docs and tutorials online, shouldn't take long.

Louisa von Dart

Post by Louisa von Dart » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:33 am

" True wisdom is knowing how little you know "...... I'm reminded of that everytime I talk with you guys. :) I'll give it a go but not today. I need a walk in the countryside to clear my head.

Louisa von Dart

Post by Louisa von Dart » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:42 pm

Problem solved. I used the windows disc admin and I now have 718GB of free space to play with. Thanks again for all your help. Cheers, Louisa. :lux:

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:52 pm

huzzah!