need suggestions on new vid card

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

need suggestions on new vid card

Post by Kit Pepper » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:38 pm

I really need a better video card. As much as I love VR, ID'ing is very difficult. The contacts look like smudges till I get close. I got my ass kicked thoroughly yesterday, and I want to change that!

Here's what I use with my Reverb G-2 ...
Zotac GeForce 1070 Ti 8GB AMP, Extreme Video Card.

Any suggestions on what I should upgrade too? All I know is the higher the number value, probably means it's better.

I know that nothing is available yet, but I'm planning ahead, and would like some advice.

Bunny

Re: need suggestions on new vid card

Post by Bunny » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:59 am

I'm not sure a better card will improve the smudginess of your VR headset, it will just improve the smudge framerate. I run a 2080 Ti on a Rift S and mine are also smudges.

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Etherlight

Post by Etherlight » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:56 am

I've done a quick check on the prices for modern GPUs just now and at least here in Germany the scalping of those GPUs still has the market price all messed up. If that is also still true where you are at, there are 2 smart choices to make: 1. Wait it out. or 2. go for a new PC.
I've been lucky enough that my employer has a very good IT@Home contract with a big supplier of IT and I could lease a new, powerful gaming PC with a 3080 in it for cheap, but from what I've seen you're better off buying a new machine with a decent graphics card than just upgrading the GPU itself. I do not know if that still holds true today, because I basically leased that baby 2 months before the 3080 was released and therefore wasn't affected by the scalping going on at all and I also leased directly from MSI, basically.

Depending on what kind of money you're willing to drop and if just buying a new machine is a sensible option, you might want to look into that. If you want to properly play VR and want to be prepared for new releases, I wouldn't go much lower than a 2080 with a high-res VR headset.

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:26 am

The good news is the prices should start to come down and availability go up Kit. I recently got an RTX 3070, going from an RTX 2070 and see a significant improvement in my flight simming, especially for MSFS2020. I’d get an RTX 3080 if you can but an RTX 3070 would be a good option as well based on my experience. I have a Valve Index however so perhaps a 3080 for your G2.

Valve Index, Intel Core i7- 11700K Processor, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 RAM, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070, ASUS TUF Z590 ATX Motherboard, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler, be quiet! Straight Power 11 Power Supply, 240GB NVME M.2 SSD and Samsung 970 EVOplus 1T SSD storage, BeQuiet 500DX Midi-Tower Case.

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:41 pm

This is great advice. I'm computer literate, so I appreciate the help. Thanks and keep it coming.
Price is not a huge concern if makes a significant improvement.
I'm on the fence about going new, or upgrading what I've got.
If I go new, I hadn't considered leasing. That could make a huge improvement affordable if the lease is right.
If I upgrade what I've got, then it's down to what is the best I can do with my system.

I'll pull the trigger as soon as I know what to get, and when I can get it.

Paddy

Post by Paddy » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:11 pm

Snowy wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:26 am
The good news is the prices should start to come down and availability go up Kit.
Where’d you fathom this from?

Still global silicon shortages, still production issues, still Covid dancin’ about, still miners hammering away at bitcoin.

No time soon unless you consider 2023 at earliest.
Cheers,

Paddy
Group Captain John 'Paddy' Hemingway, we salute you

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:19 am

Paddy wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:11 pm
Snowy wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:26 am
The good news is the prices should start to come down and availability go up Kit.
Where’d you fathom this from?

Still global silicon shortages, still production issues, still Covid dancin’ about, still miners hammering away at bitcoin.

No time soon unless you consider 2023 at earliest.
I’ve been watching for months now. I’m seeing them appear for sale at various on-line retailers and prices are indeed coming down. Annoyingly after I made my purchase.

Valve Index, Intel Core i7- 11700K Processor, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 RAM, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070, ASUS TUF Z590 ATX Motherboard, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler, be quiet! Straight Power 11 Power Supply, 240GB NVME M.2 SSD and Samsung 970 EVOplus 1T SSD storage, BeQuiet 500DX Midi-Tower Case.

Cule

Post by Cule » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:38 pm

Hey Kit

I run a 3070 (more or less equivalent to 2080 ti) with my G2 and the result is acceptable but leaves something to be desired considering the price of the card

I would recommend you get a 3070 ti or a 3080 (preferable).