VR BSOD Issue- faulty RAM?

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

CarlMarks
Leutnant
Leutnant

VR BSOD Issue- faulty RAM?

Post by CarlMarks » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:56 pm

Specs:
Reverb G2
i7 processor
32 gigs RAM

Since about May, my VR will cause my game to blue screen under certain conditions, such as exiting the game, leaving a server, or just sitting idle with the headset active on some occasions. This has happened with BOS and DCS, which I have saved to the same SSD. No other games or programs cause my system to crash, and even MSFS seems more stable though its saved to the same SSD yet it doesn't use Steam VR. I'm trying to find the culprit but I'm not sure what is at fault- steamVR, faulty RAM stick, or bad SSD?

I've run "Whocrashed" to get some more info, and most crashes show the same error:

Crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080722-35109-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B(0xC0000005, 0xFFFFD7594DCEA99D, 0xFFFFFA8A860BEC20, 0x0)
Bugcheck name: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Driver or module in which error occurred: win32kfull.sys (win32kfull+0xA99D)
File path: C:\Windows\System32\win32kfull.sys
Description: Full/Desktop Win32k Kernel Driver
Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company: Microsoft Corporation
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
Analysis: This is a typical software problem. Most likely this is caused by a bug in a driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, it is suggested that you look for an updated driver for your graphics hardware. It's also possible that your graphics hardware was non-functional or overheated.

or this error:
Crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080522-40046-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x50(0xFFFFB000CBFCF000, 0x2, 0xFFFFF80ECD48A706, 0x0)
Bugcheck name: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced. This can be caused by a faulty driver. Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume. It can also be caused by faulty hardware, (in particular faulty or overheated RAM or video RAM) or an overheated system component.
Analysis: This is likely a software problem which means that it was probably caused by a bug in a driver.
There is a possibility that this is caused by memory corruption. Memory corruption can be caused by a faulty driver, faulty RAM, overheating and more. Read this article on memory corruption. Read this article on thermal issues

I suspect faulty RAM. Does anyone have any insight or pointers?

Thank you :B:

Goodwin
Gefreiter
Gefreiter
contributor

Re: VR BSOD Issue- faulty RAM?

Post by Goodwin » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:11 am

I'm not an IT guy but I solved some of my problems by doing a clean install of an updated Nvidia driver and then installing open composite. That way you take steam out of the equation altogether.

Orb
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Staff
contributor

Post by Orb » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:33 am

I had a BSOD yesterday while cranking up WMR. Weird square artefacts appeared on the monitor then crashed to the sadface BSOD.

It rebooted and started again ok.

CarlMarks
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by CarlMarks » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:18 am

Thanks for the tip on Open Composite, I really think steam VR is the issue, as the suspect ram has been changed and still getting BSODs, though now all are indicated as being driver related. It usually happens if I idle for a bit with steam vr open and no game running, so very often I forget to close steam vr while chatting in a mission debrief for example and a crash will usually happen. I will try to make the switch.