can't install Mixed Reality

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

can't install Mixed Reality

Post by Kit Pepper » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:02 pm

I just added a new vid card and new ram sticks. The visuals and performance were great, but... my PC has been rebooting and acting up, and now I can't get in to Windows Mixed Reality. I've tried all the obvious.
I found one Windows upload that failed to upload, and I don't know how important it is.
Bottom line is, no WMR, no VR, means no flying.
The game works in 2D, but I won't go back to that. Never!

I need help with this problem. I can't figure it out. I've heard of similar problems with new cards after installed.
Anyone know what?

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Re: can't install Mixed Reality

Post by Donkey » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:59 pm

Hi Kit, I saw your pm. I don't know tbh, I don't use WMR. Google seems to suggest it's a more prevalent problem with Windows 11 (are you on 11 or 10?) .... but rather alarmingly most of the fixes seem to start off with complete uninstall of the GPU drivers (easy enough), but then progress to full windows reinstall.

What steps have you tried so far?

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:12 am

Thanks Donkey, I have windows 10. I did an uninstall of the drivers and that didn't do the trick. I've been advised by others that a windows reinstall might be the next try.
I've tried so many things (several times) my head is spinning. Probably have over 15 hours in this issue.
The problem is I can't open Windows Mixed Reality Portal. I go off on wild goose chases and end up back there. Everything else works.
I do get booted out from time to time with a blue screen that says it's found an error and collects info and then restarts. I think that is a different issue.
I think it's a windows issue, but I'm don't know computers.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:20 pm

Blue screen errors tend to (but are not exclusively) memory related. Either bad modules or bad timings. If it doesn't happen frequently then don't worry about it.

Honestly at this juncture a full wipe may be the easiest thing to do - it's quite quick with w10, and the only real issue is making sure to back everything up that you cannot simply redownload again.

I have the Valve Index and as such I don't use WMR - so I don't really know how to troubleshoot it in any depth I'm afraid :(

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:46 pm

I've found a repair shop around the corner from my house and the guy is a gamer in VR, so he should be up on what needs to be done. I'm waiting for the word.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:47 pm

Great, that sounds promising. Do ask him what he does to solve it, will be useful to add to the body of knowledge.

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:18 pm

In the end, I had to have Windows stricken from my hard drive, and reinstalled. They tried to save as much as they could, but I lost all my apps and settings. It's slow going getting everything sorted out again. But good news is that I'm back in the air, albeit very rusty.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:03 pm

The sledgehammer approach. Sadly it's sometimes the only way.