Graphics problem in CoD - ac flickering help!

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Bounder

Graphics problem in CoD - ac flickering help!

Post by Bounder » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:50 am

For quite some time now I've had a problem with flickering aircraft in CoD at certain ranges. Amongst all the other problems we've had in CoD I have ignored it but now we have a semi decent patch it's really driving me nuts. I'm sure it wasn't always like this but I can't remember when I haven't had this issue.

Basically aircraft flicker, particularly the 109 at mid range and it makes tracking them very difficult as they almost disappear. I've tried messing with my in game settings, the nvidia control panel settings, turning ShowMeshLod on/off in the conf.ini file but I can't get rid of it. I have rolled back to the official Steam version of the game but it's still there so it isn't this new patch.

Here's a video of the problem. I filmed the quick mission "aerial battle - dover". Best to watch in HD full screen at 1080p but you can see the 109s at range suddenly become more difficult to see before coming back into view and there is a flickering on the wings as they come closer into view. Although I usually run the game at high settings this was captured with very modest settings and with shadows off (in case it was that). See below for in game settings and nvidia control panel etc.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any help would be great, cheers!

Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lRz4ppe ... e=youtu.be

I've tried uninstalling my graphic card drivers and reinstalling with the latest from nvidia but it doesn't help.

better add my PC specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64
CPU: i7-3820 GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampagae IV
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPX: Nvidia 680 GTX

GPX drivers: nvidia 306.23

Also, here is my Conf.ini file:

[BOB]
EpilepsyFilter=0

[window]
DepthBits =24
StencilBits=8
DrawIfNotFocused=0
SaveAspect=0
Render=D3D10_0
width=1920
height=1200
posLeft=0
posTop=0
ColourBits=32
FullScreen=1
ChangeScreenRes=1
Frequency=60
StereoMode=0

[NET]
speed=100000
localPort=27015
serverName=My Server
serverDescription=IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
serverInfo1=
serverInfo2=
serverInfo3=
serverInfo4=
VAC=1
maxPlayers=255
socksEnable=0
socksHost=
socksPort=1080
socksUser=
socksPwd=

[Console]
IP=20001
UseStartLog=1
WRAP=1
PAUSE=1
HISTORY=1024
HISTORYCMD=1024
PAGE=20
LOG=0
LOGTIME=0
LOAD=console.cmd
SAVE=console.cmd
LOGFILE=log.txt
LOGKEEP=0

[rts]
; 0 - not use, 1 - show cursor and not capture, 2 - not show cursor, and capture
mouseUse=2
; 0 - not use, 1 - use if hardware exist
joyUse=1
; 0 - not use, 1 - use if hardware exist
trackIRUse=1

[rts_mouse]
SensitivityX=1.0
SensitivityY=1.0
SensitivityZ=1.0
Invert=0
SwapButtons = 0

[rts_joystick]
FF=1

[core]
RandSeed = 0
TexQual=3
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
Shadows=0
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=1
LandShading=1
LandDetails=1
Sky=3
Forest=2
VisibilityDistance=3
LandGeom=2
DrawCollisions=1
Water=-1
Effects=1
EffFlags.Light=1
EffFlags.SpriteRender=0
Grass=3
CordEffect=1
UseFog=0
UseLandCube=1
UseLandConnectedObject=1
LinearObjectManager=1
Roads=1
Sun=1
Clouds=1
EffFlags.LightSpritesProj=1
ShadowMapSize=5
TexFlags.AsyncLoad=1
TexFlags.ShowTexture=0
SimpleMesh.SWTransform=0
SimpleMesh.QuadTreeClip=1
SimpleMesh.InstancingHW=1
EffFlags.LightContextSprites=1
CloudsFlags.Detailed=1
TexFlags.CreateHDR=1
Decals=1
EffFlags.SWLight=0
TexFlags.CockpitOnePass=0
MegaTexture=0
TexFlags.Reflection=0
RenderTargetQual=3
MSAA=0
MeshStatics=1
MeshStaticsDetail=2
SimpleMesh.QTNoCompose=0
MeshFirstLod=0
MeshShowLod=0
SpawnHumans=0
TexFlags.SSAO=0
TexFlags.VSync=0
TexFlags.FastTransparency=1

[sound]
SoundUse=1
DebugSound=0
SoundEngine=1
Speakers=1
Placement=0
SoundFlags.reversestereo=0
RadioFlags.Enabled=1
RadioEngine=2
MusicVolume=14
ObjectVolume=7
MusState.takeoff=1
MusState.inflight=1
MusState.crash=1
MusFlags.play=1
MasterVolume=14
Attenuation=7
SoundMode=0
SamplingRate=0
NumChannels=2
SoundExt.occlusions=1
SoundFlags.hardware=1
SoundFlags.streams=1
SoundFlags.duplex=1
SoundExt.acoustics=1
SoundExt.volumefx=1
SoundFlags.voicemgr=1
SoundFlags.static=1
VoiceVolume=8
Channels=1
SoundFlags.bugscorrect=0
SoundExt.extrender=0
SoundSetupId=8
ActivationLevel=0.02
Preemphasis=0.8
RadioLatency=0.5
AGC=1
PTTMode=1
RadioFlags.PTTMode=0
RadioFlags.PlayClicks=1
ActLevel=9
MicLevel=10
SoundFlags.UseRadioChatter=0
SoundFlags.AutoActivation=0
SoundFlags.forceEAX1=0
speakers=1
vgMaster=15
vgMusic=0
vgVoice=15

[game]
mirror=0
My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).
Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5, & a bottle of Scotch.

Gromic
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Re: Graphics problem in CoD - ac flickering help!

Post by Gromic » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:32 am

Hi Bounder,

Everything looks alright to me BUT have you tried the "easy fix" yet?

What I mean is, clear your cache folder, rename your conf.ini to something like conf.ini.old and then restart your game? You'll have to reset your graphics settings ingame afterwards. If it doesn't help then you can always rename your renamed conf.ini.old back to conf.ini
32 Squadron / USAAF 84 Squadron

Robo

Post by Robo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:51 am

That's pretty annoying Bounder! No I have never seen this flickering myself on my rig (which is weaker but similar to yours - Intel + nVidia)

I see you posted a screenie of the Global Settings in your nVidia panel, it's all on default. It seems the flickering might be antialiasing issue, I see your AA is off within application as well as in nVidia control panel (both FXAA and AA are inactive). I suppose you might be using some FXAA inject files though, please confirm.

Did you setup your launcher.exe to something else? You can define specific profiles for each and every programme executable by clicking at Program Settings, then selecting the launcher.exe (it might be not in the list by default in which case you will have to browse for it). Then try to swithc the FXAA to 'ON' and see what happens.

Starting with Gromic's advice would be good though - you can't go wrong by doing that anyway.

Bounder

Post by Bounder » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Gromic's post:
I have tried clearing my cahce folder but the problem remains. With the conf.ini file I tried deleting it (both in steam folder and 1c soft docs folder) and letting steam rebuild it. To do this I deleted the files and then ran 'verify game cache' in steam and went back to the official steam patch version -> tried that in game and had the saw the same flickering problem. I've reinstalled the patch again, which is what you see in the video.

Robo's post:
I've tried a whole range of different settings in my Nvidia panel on Global - the video and info above was one test where I removed all the effects (AA, FXAA etc) just to see what would happen. I get the same flickering effect with these turned on. I don't have any of the FXAA inject files (I guess you mean like in this thread http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=25281).

One thing... the video I recorded actually had Vsync on in my nvidia control panel (tried turning it off immediately after recording the video - it didn't help with the ac flickering. I then took the screen shot of the control panel which is why Vsync is off in the pic I posted here)

I did have a specific profile for CoD under the second tab (Program Settings -> Launcher.exe in the list) in the Nvidia manage 3D settings. Originally I had tried playing with this to sort out the flickering problem but with no avail. I then thought maybe the custom profile could be part of the problem but when I tried removing it I couldn't... clicking 'remove' caused the nvidia panel to crash! So, in desperation I used brute force and deleted the control panel as well as deleting my graphics card drivers and then reinstalled. I haven't set up a new custom profile since and it is not in the list anymore.
My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).
Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5, & a bottle of Scotch.

Robo

Post by Robo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:23 pm

I see you've tried pretty much everything... :(

Vsync should have no effect on the flickering whatsoever. I only asked about the FXAA inject files (yes the link is what I ment) because it seemed to me that you used some AA on game and it was off in nVidia and in game. I understand now. Sorry I got into too much detail with Program Settings, I though you might have missed the possibility. Obviously you have tried that as well. Honestly I have no idea.

I suggest you try asking on Banana forum, someone must have the same problem!

Bounder

Post by Bounder » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks for trying guys, will try the banana forums too (going to be painful but you never know ;) ).

One other thing which makes me think it is my nvidia graphics drivers/settings/card is that I also see flickering on the ac tags at certain ranges too! Not noticed this on Replica before but maybe I've not concentrated on it. Anyway:

Here is a video of the Tags (and ac) flickering; go to 27 seconds into video to see flickering tags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUlVtQs7 ... e=youtu.be

I filmed this video using the default global Nvidia settings which are:

Under Programs tab, CoD (Launcher.exe not listed anymore) but do get Steam listed:

These are the default Nvidia Control Panel Settings for Steam:

DavidRed

Post by DavidRed » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:25 am

well im really surprised that some guys like robo dont have this issue!
i have the same problem, but even worse,...from a 109 perspective, if you look at spits, they will flicker youst like in your vid, but completely disappear as well in a certain distance ranging from ~1,6-2km...there they are completely invisible,while 109s and hurris keep flickering in that range.

Robo

Post by Robo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:23 am

DavidRed wrote:well im really surprised that some guys like robo dont have this issue!
i have the same problem, but even worse,...from a 109 perspective, if you look at spits, they will flicker youst like in your vid, but completely disappear as well in a certain distance ranging from ~1,6-2km...there they are completely invisible,while 109s and hurris keep flickering in that range.
Doesn't happen to me. I have i5 2500K and 560Ti @ 304.79 drivers, all maxed out at native resolution, FXAA enabled. I have to switch the shadows off for bigger maps but that's because my GPU is not that good. I also had issues with LODs dissapearing at certain distance but haven't had that since one of the recent beta patches. I have no clue...

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:25 pm

Soz chaps - I'm also using a 560Ti but I'm running older 296.10 drivers. CPU is an i7-2600K @4.4GHz. Screen is maxed out. OS Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

Only difference I can see in 'Manage 3D Settings' is I have maximum pre-rendered frames: 3

I don't have the Antialiasing - FXAA option in my panel.

As for your Steam settings I have the same as you except I have the same pre-rendered frames entry as above (3 frames) and also I don't have the FXAA option.

Have you tried rolling back your drivers?

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:34 pm

The FXAA option was introduced in the beta drivers later than yours. I have it but forget which drivers I have. If you get new drivers you will see it.