FIX: IL2 with Windows 8.0/8.1

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

FIX: IL2 with Windows 8.0/8.1

Post by Dickie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:11 pm

For those who have purchased a new PC and are stuck with Windows 8 (or 8.1) OEM preloaded, here's an easy work around to running Cliffs of Dover:

1) right click on Launcher.exe in the Clod core folder: C:/Programs(x86)/Steam/Steam Apps/Common/IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover

2) left click on the Properties tab

3) left click on the Compatibility tab

4) check the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for: "

5) directly underneath select "Windows 7"

6) left click on Apply

7) left click on OK

Clod can now be started normally by double left clicking on Launcher.exe -- the Cloder.exe and Cloder.dll files are no longer required.

Story behind this: I had been playing Clod in Win 8.1 using the Cloder exe/dll files. By disabling all my anti-virus programs (Malwarebytes, Windows Defender, Windows Firewall) I was able to get fairly smooth gameplay, also some stutters still persisted -- especially when engaging enemy aircraft. However, for reasons unknown I found my microphone was no longer working in TeamSpeak when in-game.....it worked fine in TS when ALT TAB'd out of the game. Arrgh. By poking around my sound properties I somehow stumbled upon "test compatibility troubleshooter". This led to trying Cliffs of Dover in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode (as described in the 7 steps above). Not only did my microphone resume working normally in TS while running Clod, but I noticed the game itself running silk smooth in online play, even when engaging a large formation of AI He 111's. Importantly, I found gameplay equally smooth when running Windows Defender and Windows Firewall enabled. (I'm leaving Malwarebytes disabled for the time being while I play Clod, but will try running it in the background next time to see if any stuttering crops up again.)

The above is completely reversible if for any reason it doesn't work on your system, and should be completely risk-free.