SETUP: RAF brakes on rudder pedals

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Von Archie

SETUP: RAF brakes on rudder pedals

Post by Von Archie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:14 pm

Not historical but, if you want left/right rudder operated brakes, this post from ATAG explains how to do it:

''whether I apply the left or right brake there is only one brake but . . . . because I have the right rudder pedal depressed and apply the right brake the right side brakes and for the left the same. This works similar to pressing a rudder pedal and applying a slider by hand. Left will turn left and right will turn right.

You have to make a small adjustment in the userconfig.ini file to accomplish this and when you do, it shows up in the settings area. You need to know what the axis name is for your rudder brake pedals. To do this, go into the COD AXIS config area and set your left brake pedal in the window. It will give a name of the axis assignment. Then leave COD and go to the userconfig.ini and go to [HotKey pilotMove] and find the same line that was showing in the COD window. For me it was Joystick1+AXE_Y=1brakes. Then I manually created Joystick1+AXE_X=1brakes as shown below. Voila! Brake pedal left and right on a rudder setup works.''

[HotKey pilotMove]
Joystick1+AXE_RZ=1rudder
Joystick+AXE_RZ=-1throttle0
Joystick+AXE_Z=-1throttle1
Joystick1+AXE_Y=1brakes
Joystick+AXE_Y=1elevator
Alt C=1trimelevator
Joystick1+AXE_X=1brakes
Joystick+AXE_X=1aileron
Joystick+AXE_V=-1pitch
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Bubi

Re: SETUP: RAF brakes on rudder pedals

Post by Bubi » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:30 am

This didn't work for me.

1. There isn't a USERCONFIG.INI under my install folder: ...\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD

2. There is a CONFIGUSER.INI file that has:
[HotKey pilotMove]
Joystick3+AXE_RZ=1rudder
W=1throttle_wep
Joystick+AXE_Y=1elevator
Joystick+AXE_X=1aileron
Joystick+AXE_U=-1throttle

Adding these made no difference for the Spitfire
Joystick3+AXE_X=1brakes
Joystick3+AXE_Y=1brakes

3. There is also an user defined and named file that saves the OPTIONS/CONTROL mapping settings (BUBI-WartHog-81215) that is the last version I saved and is loaded in the Controls GUI.

[HotKey pilotMove]
Joystick+AXE_RZ=-1throttle
W=1throttle_wep
Joystick+Key27=-1pitch
Joystick+AXE_Y=1elevator
Joystick+AXE_X=1aileron
Joystick3+AXE_RZ=1rudder
Joystick3+AXE_X=1brakeslt (these were there by the CLOD Control GUI mapping for my rudders for right/left brakes)
Joystick3+AXE_Y=1brakesrt
Joystick4+AXE_Z=1mix
Joystick4+AXE_X=1oilradiator
Joystick4+AXE_Y=1radiator

Adding these in and loading it made no difference in the Spitfire
Joystick3+AXE_X=1brakes
Joystick3+AXE_Y=1brakes

With or without adding these two additional brake commands, the differential brakes work for the LW a/c and not for the RAF.

Note that Im using a TM WartHog running TARGET which register as (joystick) and the rudders show up as (joystick3) and Saitek throttle quad as (joystick4). The rudders work fine and are not associated with the WartHog or TARGET, so they are not part of the equation.

So Im back to square one w/r/t getting wheel brakes, differential or combined, for the RAF a/c.
"Train as you fight, fight as you train"

Bubi

Re: SETUP: RAF brakes on rudder pedals

Post by Bubi » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:56 am

OK Im testing a theory....

By removing the mapping assignments for the RIGHT WHEEL BRAKES and LEFT WHEEL BRAKES which are mapped to my rudder's X/Y toe brake axis (and what the LW a/c use)

essentially removing these from the BUBI-WartHog-81215.ini file
Joystick3+AXE_X=1brakeslt
Joystick3+AXE_Y=1brakesrt

and manually adding these two (per the OP suggestion) to the same file
Joystick3+AXE_X=1brakes
Joystick3+AXE_Y=1brakes

Now in the OPTIONS/Controls GUI on the Axes page, there are now TWO lines for WHEEL BRAKES instead of one, plus the original RIGHT WHEEL BRAKES and LEFT WHEEL BRAKES two lines (which are now empty, not mapped to the rudders).

I go back into the control mapping gui, and assign my rudder X/Y toe brake axes to the two WHEEL BRAKES lines respectively, check the sensitivity and response bar settings, and save the BUBI-WartHog-81215.ini file, and apply it, and test fly it.

Also, I believe that CLOD creates a CONFUSER.INI during each session based of what is mapped from the Loaded/Saved Controls GUI. So any changes there and saved to the user named file, when applied, gets written into the CONFIGUSER.INI. That's the link between the two, AFAIK.

Which means ill have to use two user defined mapping files, one for LW and one for RAF, load and apply it before flying. The one I pick ends up written in the session's configuser.ini file.

Sooooo....
The testing seems to work, albeit the braking power on the Spit is nothing compared to whats on the Me109 (if it infact is working). Using a in game INFO Window using SECONDARY CONTROLS does show the left/right braking going from 0-100%. Again, it seems to be working, but very weak braking power. Id be all over my blackshirt about changing the brake shoes/pads. Let me know if others see differently.

:joyman:
"Train as you fight, fight as you train"