SETUP: Spotting Contacts in CLoD

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Bounder

SETUP: Spotting Contacts in CLoD

Post by Bounder » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:53 am

Not sure if this has been posted on our forums but thought I'd cross post it from the banana forums as the ability to spot contacts varies wildly from person to person and this might help some people? (link to original post by VO101_Tom http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=35843)

Take a look at the following image in it's normal size (don't zoom in), you should see 5 contacts at 1 O'clock low http://www.pumaszallas.hu/Private/Tom/f ... rteszt.bmp

If you are struggling to see the contacts, look at this next image for their location http://www.pumaszallas.hu/Private/Tom/f ... t_help.bmp Now go back to the above image and check to see if you can see them!

I always thought my contact spotting was pretty good but I couldn't see the contacts in the 1st picture at all. Apparently one of the variables people are playing with is their monitor settings, adjusting brightness, contrast, gamma and sharpness to aid spotting contacts. After playing with my monitor settings using the 1st picture as a calibration template, I tried a "game" preset and suddenly I could see them. Colours were slightly off so I played with the monitor settings manually a little as well as adjusting some settings in the nvidia control panel to get things looking right. If it works I'm hoping this helps make contact spotting less taxing.
Last edited by Dickie on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This is for pre-4.0 COD where spotting was an art. From 4.0 everything is easy.
My PC specs: Win10 64 Pro, CPU i7-3820 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, GPU Nvidia 1070 (8gb vram).
Controls: Microsoft FFB2, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Pedals, TrackIR5, & a bottle of Scotch.

DavidRed

Re: Spotting Contacts in CLoD

Post by DavidRed » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:07 pm

nice Bounder!
i already saw the thread on 1c forum, but your post finally made me to try my monitor settings...
one thing i noticed, is that nothing really helped except to reduce the brightness on my screen at least....now that i reduced it, the contacts on the screenshot are way better visible than before, although i saw them with my inital settings as well...
i will have to look though how that really works out ingame...

incog

Re: SETUP: Spotting Contacts in CLoD

Post by incog » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:56 am

Great thread! Never realized playing around with monitor settings helped with this.

I have an LED monitor and something I realized (thanks to this thread) is that tilting the monitor so that it's facing your face directly, you see contacts much better. Not sure about IPS and stuff like that but this is already a good improvement, if only using the two images in the OP.

Nice guys, thanks!