HowTo: Display images in your posts

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Thaine

Re: IMPORTANT: Using attachments in your posts

Post by Thaine » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:11 am

Images are not the problem. Using attachments for it is. There's absolutely no reason to do so. It's really easy to create a picture repository for sharing outside of ACG and using it for the forums.

If you do not dissable attachments in general or the image attachements, nothing will change and people will continue as before. In fact, they do so already after this post has been up.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:09 am

As a way of keeping the current content (is that right, that the current content is done away with if you stop all uploads?), could you not set a very small minimum attachment size, of 1kb or similar?

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

MarLeo

Post by MarLeo » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:23 pm

I think, the discussion is if only images are disabled in attachments or attachments are disabled all together.

The problem with disabling just image files will be that all already uploaded images will be gone as well. I don't support this since it would take a part of the forums history out.

However, I support that the attachment option is just disabled completely. Thus, old images would be kept and new ones would have to be uploaded onto an external host. There is also no important file that has to be attached in the forum that cannot be uploaded to another host as well.
Valar f*ing morghulis. Valar dohaeris.
The all is one and the one is all.

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:41 pm

My two pennies worth.......It will be a very sad day if we can't upload images on here anymore :(

I have no intention of causing our website any costs whatsoever,but I am hoping,later this year,hopefully,to reintroduce 'Bomber Night'back on Thursday nights,once Team Fusion pull their finger out and grace us with the Wellington.As I have to brief bomber pilots with briefings,maps and so forth,I need the ability to upload images on our website,without this ability,my whole 'Bomber Night' will have no atmosphere,no feel to it,and will just be another boring flight from A to B and back. again.

I endeavour to make these 'Bomber Nights' as atmospheric and as historic as possible and rely heavily on uploaded images to do this,just sticking a few threads of info on these briefings does'nt quite do it for me,or others interested in bombing I would suggest.

I upload my images on here by way of using 'Photobucket',does this cause the website a cost? if so I do need to know,as I have already started work behind the scenes of the new Bomber Night,plotting new targets,routes and briefings etc,which are heavily reliant on images to give interest and to inform pilots of their task ahead.

I have to say I am pretty ignorant in the understanding of these costs,I had no idea it was causing a financial problem to the website,for this,I can only apologise if I have in the past caused unnecessary costs :?

The new Bomber Night will be far superior than that of it's predecessor,I intend the new version to really capture the feel of the early daylight bombing raids of a period between 1939-41.There will be tutorials on how to pilot the bomber,how to use it's autopilots and how to use the bombsight correctly,and of course flying on a raid to a target,but if I can't upload images the whole thing will be dead in the water before it gets off the ground.

Meaks ;)

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:45 pm

Meaks,

It's alright if you use photobucket. Your images are stored somewhere else and you only put the link to them into our forum. This does not consume webspace and is the way it should be done (using the tags). Images won't be banned from the forum. It's just about the direct upload via the attachment that is under discussion.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Meaker

Post by Meaker » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:17 pm

Thaine wrote:Meaks,

It's alright if you use photobucket. Your images are stored somewhere else and you only put the link to them into our forum. This does not consume webspace and is the way it should be done (using the tags). Images won't be banned from the forum. It's just about the direct upload via the attachment that is under discussion.
Thanks for clearing that up Thaine old boy,that's great,did'nt want to become a drain on ACG resources heaven forbid :lol:

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:50 pm

I've got no problem with attachments being stopped. I post on other forums which do the same and it just means hosting elsewhere.

I will get my 'cockpit' photo put onto Photobucket and share it from there.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:36 pm

Yes lads, this is about posting images as attachments rather than by reference, not stopping people from sharing dirty pictures.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:03 am

Thank god for that, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to share this pic of your missus...

(You can see the rest of the set by changing the squadron number in the filename :D )
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Casca
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel
contributor

Post by Casca » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:12 am

Ok, ok! I'm having a problem. Explain how to do this because I'm doing something wrong. I've downloaded pics to photo bucket but when i try to upload here I get this (using Img):