HOW TO: Virtual Cockpit / Device Link

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

HOW TO: Virtual Cockpit / Device Link

Post by Dickie » Tue May 12, 2015 6:10 pm

These are 2 different things. Device Link allows you to send game info to cockpit guages (separate prephirals) and I have included the software and instructions to do this but I have not set this up myself, so you will have to suck it and see. Virtual Cockpit is for doing the same thing but sending the cockpit info to a second screen, and that may be via wifi in a tablet, or to a connected monitor.

I'm zipping up EVERYTHING I downloaded, including working cockpits I found, some of it is not needed, so please work that out, and post things that are wrong or right, I can then edit my post.

From the readme for idisplay
In your case you are talking about using a Tablet as a second screen. There are two ways to get a second screen on your gaming PC, either simply plug another monitor into the second video output of your video card or use a couple of applications (software) to connect your Tablet as a second monitor. So, first lets get the Tablet connected. Here is where you need the "Air Display" App on your Tablet (or "iDisplay" App for a MAC Tablet although I think Air Display works on the Mac devices too). Next you need the PC application which you will find is a free download where you buy your Tablet App from. Install the Tablet App on your Tablet and the PC application on your PC. Now start the Tablet App and then start the PC app and the PC App will find the Tablet and "connect it" as a second screen. It connects over your home network Wifi, it is not a wired connection. OK, so far you have connected a Tablet as a second screen instead of simply plugging a second monitor into your video card.

Getting the instruments onto a second screen is a separate matter. That is where you need the VC application (software) on your PC. You don't 'install' it, you just unzip it to a folder of your choice. When you start it you can select which cockpit layout you want to use, select the monitor you want to display it on (probably #2), select 'Scale to monitor' so that if the layout is for a different resolution to your Tablet/second monitor it will fit it as best it can, then click on Start. Odd messages may appear on the second screen until you are in a cockpit. Now when you go into a CoD cockpit it will display the instruments on the second screen.

Things to be aware of (I'm putting this here to save coming back again later):
1. I gave up on using my Samsung Note 8 Tablet because it kept losing the Wifi connection. Just a warning. I now use an old monitor plugged into the second socket on my video card (see attached image).
2. The cockpit selections are kept in their own folders under a /Cockpits/ folder where the VC software was unzipped to and it will already contain some depending on which download you take from this Thread. You can just add more cockpit folders into that Cockpits folder for them to appear on the list and you can get them from other posts in this Thread. You'll see what I mean when you unzip it.
3. If you 'Scale to monitor' you may get squished layouts but someone here is likely to be able to help you with that. If you don't 'Scale...' and your screen isn't the same resolution as the layout design it can either partly disappear off the screen or simply be smaller than the entire screen. Suck it and see.
4. Actually its not difficult to create your own simple layouts if you look carefully at how other people have done it.
Here's the whole damn lot. For the Virtual Cockpit all I needed was the stuff in the VC folder, then I ran the VirtualCockpit.exe, I set it to Hurricane and pointed to the monitor I wanted to display on, then started it up. It will ERROR until you are spawned in, then be blank. I had to alt+tab to windows and back, fanny about a few times, into game to get it running and tbh you may need the engine actually running before it works properly - it's a bit awkward to get going sometimes but I haven't found the knack yet.

Good luck!
Device Link.zip
HurricaneI.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Miki

Re: HOW TO: Virtual Cockpit / Device Link

Post by Miki » Tue May 12, 2015 7:30 pm

Oh yes ! :nice:

Working well, on a second monitor, thank you Osprey :salute:

Nitrous

Post by Nitrous » Wed May 13, 2015 11:51 am

Pseudo mode setting in clod is the only way mine will work correctly.

Miki

Post by Miki » Thu May 14, 2015 7:23 pm

Work of the day :

I've got two MDF, mainly for Falcon, but I've put some comands for CoD as well. That why I've placed some of my instruments like that.

In game :

Happy. ;)

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Fri May 15, 2015 8:22 am

Where do you get the nice graphics for the cockpit? Mine look like they are from an Audi A6. Could you email me the files for that cockpit? 334th_osprey@tiscali.co.uk

Indeed, if anyone has cockpits for this stuff please email me and I'll add to the OP.

Gromic
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Gromic » Fri May 15, 2015 10:49 am

Thanks Osprey 'ole chap.

Setup VC last night and worked perfectly on first try.
My old lady thinks I've gone completely mad now.

:nice:
32 Squadron / USAAF 84 Squadron

Robo

Post by Robo » Fri May 22, 2015 12:18 am

Pretty impressive, guys.

Gromic
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Gromic » Fri May 22, 2015 7:16 am

Osprey wrote:Where do you get the nice graphics for the cockpit? Mine look like they are from an Audi A6. Could you email me the files for that cockpit? 334th_osprey@tiscali.co.uk

Indeed, if anyone has cockpits for this stuff please email me and I'll add to the OP.
Osp, did you ever get a response from miki about the cockpit skins?
Btw., thx for the heads up on VC. Works fantastic on my second monitor.
:nice:
Grom
32 Squadron / USAAF 84 Squadron

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am

No he hasn't done it yet, I'll chase him up.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Fri May 22, 2015 9:46 am

Miki how have you adjusted the ositions of some of the instruments? Also is there a way to stop certain instruments/indicators from being displayed permanently? I uncheck certain things but I haven't found a way to save it so every time VC restarts it's back to everything checked.
No.111 (Fighter) Squadron - "Adstantes" - Standing by
"Worry only on the things you can influence and accept there are things beyond your control"