HOW TO: Virtual Cockpit / Device Link

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Maltloaf
Location: Salisbury Plain, birthplace of British military aviation.

Re: HOW TO: Virtual Cockpit / Device Link

Post by Maltloaf » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:57 pm

I would go further and say any sort of realistic navigation with out it is pretty much impossible. It is essential for all OCs and anybody who needs to fly a proper bearing.
"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:51 pm

I can't get it to come up when in cockpit without difficulty, and then when it does so I lose all FFB. VC or FFB? I choose FFB.

Von Webber

Post by Von Webber » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:24 pm

Dave;
Yes sir indeed. The compass and gauges are totally worth it. I like it when flying the Spitfire and Hurri, as the compass is a bit of a pup to view when in flight. I can vector in much easier for the bounce.

I still have that window though, I can't figure out why it's there.

Miki

Device link to drive some gauge...

Post by Miki » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:11 am

... do you think it should work ?

Hello.

I saw some beautiful homebuilt cockpit. FSX and Falcon 4 seem to be the two main supports.

What about CoD ? We have device link, working pretty well to display gauges on a second screen. Anybody knows if it may be suitable to drive some real gauge with servo ?

Miki

Re: Device link to drive some gauge...

Post by Miki » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:02 pm

Seems... yes :

Adruino + UDP...

Miki

Post by Miki » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:47 pm

Ok, I'm a complete noob, but, at least I can try...

With Cliffs of Dover and TF patch, I understand that we have a plugin named DeviceLink, that brings us some parameters.
=> virtual cokpit is an interface, using DL to display gauges on a second screen =>> working good !

Now, what I would like, is a servo to drive a gauge.

Here is a comment of Andrea from the above You Tube video :

So basically you want to go here: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/f ... php?t=3887 in the first post you find the class for c# to read the data; basically you copy and paste in your program. then in a timer you take the data with something like that: GameCommunications Comm = new GameCommunications(); double Rpm = Comm.GetParameter(GameCommunications.ParameterTypes.I_EngineRPM, 0); when you have the variables you can feed them to arduino via serial. about the gauges there is a good amount of tutorials and projects: http://guy.carpenter.id.au/gaugette/201 ... -gaugette/

Ok, so I understand that I've to create a C# program, paste the TF plugin text in it and extract the data.
After that, using this time Arduino program, I've to take this data and drive a servo.

Easy ?

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Miki wrote:Ok, I'm a complete noob, but, at least I can try...

With Cliffs of Dover and TF patch, I understand that we have a plugin named DeviceLink, that brings us some parameters.
=> virtual cokpit is an interface, using DL to display gauges on a second screen =>> working good !

Now, what I would like, is a servo to drive a gauge.

Here is a comment of Andrea from the above You Tube video :

So basically you want to go here: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/f ... php?t=3887 in the first post you find the class for c# to read the data; basically you copy and paste in your program. then in a timer you take the data with something like that: GameCommunications Comm = new GameCommunications(); double Rpm = Comm.GetParameter(GameCommunications.ParameterTypes.I_EngineRPM, 0); when you have the variables you can feed them to arduino via serial. about the gauges there is a good amount of tutorials and projects: http://guy.carpenter.id.au/gaugette/201 ... -gaugette/

Ok, so I understand that I've to create a C# program, paste the TF plugin text in it and extract the data.
After that, using this time Arduino program, I've to take this data and drive a servo.

Easy ?
All seems to make sense to me. Should be a fun project!

D

Miki

Post by Miki » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:44 am

Ok, I've got something !

You can see above my RPM extracted via a C# program !

As I don't really know C# (or any other language...) you can imagine that I'm very happy, it's the first big step !

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:47 am

Brilliant!

Miki

Post by Miki » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:57 pm

Progress is low.

Anyway, I was able to link my arduino to my PC and sent to my card some info.
Now I've to link the previous prog using DL to my Arduino.

I sure to be near the solution...