HOWTO: EDTracker. Free Head Tracking

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Von Archie

Re: HOWTO: EDTracker. Free Head Tracking

Post by Von Archie » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:50 am

Definitely get the Delan clip over the official TiR clip, which is made of flimsy plastic and breaks easily! The Delan clip works much better than the trackhat for me.
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Viking

Post by Viking » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:12 am

Thanks Kondor and Von Archie, I will order the £35 one don't see the need for a power pack when it will be plugged into the PC whilst playing

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:27 am

Is that Delan clip for TrackIR only or other head tracker solutions? Only TIR is fucking expensive and you wanted to save money Viking

Viking

Post by Viking » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:32 am

This is what it says its compatible with on the site .. Compatible with FaceTrackNoIR, OpenTrack, Free-Track and TrackIR – you can replace your weak Track Clip Pro with DelanClip directly?

Here's the link I was looking at the £35 one Dickie http://www.delanengineering.com/

Kondor

Post by Kondor » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:17 pm

TrackClip pro and DelanClip both use the same working principle (emitting infrared light to the "receiver"- either TIR thingy or PSEye3 camera), only in slightly different "packaging" and DelanClip's seems sturdier.
That said, DelanClip is superb replacement for flimsy TrackClip pro.
I've found battery- powered clip to be better solution for me comfort- wise (one cable less to manage, I have bloody spider web under my desk already), however that's everybody's personal decision.
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you, He will not fail you or forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6

Viking

Post by Viking » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:41 pm

So which one will be best to download free-track, FaceTrackNoIR or Opentrack to use it on?

Archangel

Post by Archangel » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:03 pm

Viking wrote:So which one will be best to download free-track, FaceTrackNoIR or Opentrack to use it on?
HI,

I have downloaded FreeTrack and FaceTrackNoIR. I could not getFreeTrack to integrate with the PS3 Camera at setup time.

On the other hand, setting up FaceTrackNoIR was straight forward for the most part. In that product you use the PointTracker 1.1 Protocol to integrate with the camera and FreeTrack 2.0 to integrate with the game.

It is a great deal easier to only set up the Yaw and Pitch settings (Roll is not really required for CLOD and complicates life dramatically if you try to get that right at the outset). It was also necessary to check the Invert Pitch box to get the look up/down to translate correctly.

You also need to configure the shortcut keys as well as the aid you in setting the Center and Game Zero settings at the press of the button.
At the beginning you need to make sure that you are sitting in a comfortable position at the correct distance from the camera so that you are able to lean back and forwards. Then you get to setting the 'zeros' both for the tracking software and the game layer.. these need to synchronised.

Once you get this done (and it is not too difficult) then you will find it is an amazing experience, and so far In my limited usage with the product I have not experienced any difficulties with drift or loss of precision.

Good luck!

Caveat: I have presumed that your question is related to the use of something like the Delan clip (for the full 6 degrees of freedom) as opposed to the Edtracker products which only provides 3 DOF.
"Never argue with an idiot - they only drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience" (Unknown)