HOWTO: EDTracker. Free Head Tracking

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

HOWTO: EDTracker. Free Head Tracking

Post by Dickie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:06 pm

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

EDTracker - Review - WIP

Post by Dickie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:08 pm

By M_Klimek
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/f ... hp?t=18389
Called it Work In Progress as I document my full experience with this tracking unit from point of order through to usage in game together with calibration etc etc.

I am not tech savvy at all so this will be a point of view from the average Jo perspective. Hope you will all find it useful in the long run of testing the product for the use in Cliffs of Dover.

I will populate each point below as the testing happens. Additional points may be added as needed. This post will be edited as I go along to keep everything in one post at the top.

Product detail:
EDTracker Pro - preassembled version as I don't like messing with electronics
Website and info: http://www.edtracker.org.uk/index.ph.../edtracker-pro

1. Ordering
So I jumped on developer website on 12/08/2015 afternoon and ordered the unit plus the cable. The price seems reasonable and website is easy enough to navigate. Quick payment using PayPal and I received the confirmation of payment and order to my email. 13/08/2015 I received email to notify me that product will be posted today.
Price:
£45 for the unit
£2 for the cable (optional)
£2 postage and packing

Total: £49

2. Unpacking (quality of postage and first impressions)
The unit arrived on 15/08/2015 and on first impression it's a small package, wrapped and packed very securely. Very little likelihood of damage in post.

It's a smart looking little unit, plain black ABS plastic box. The cable looks sturdy too and definitely able to handle large amount of rotational stress.

First impressions are very good and I am pleasantly surprised by the quality.

3. Connecting and calibration
On with connecting and calibration, just plugged it in and following the instructions from the website I downloaded the GUI 1.0.0 (one for the Pro unit). The GUI recognised the unit and connected it.
Step 1 was to calibrate the magnetometer. Quick video popped up instructing me how to do it and after a few tries I had it dialed in properly.
Step 2 was to leave the unit horizontally and perfectly still, then press "Auto Bias". Did that and 20 or so seconds later it was ready to go... not really as I found out.

4. First test and results with CLOD without additional software
The native GUI programme does not work for the CLOD (if it does, please someone tell me how) so after starting up CLOD I had to exit and read on with the instructions (it was worth an initial try).

5. Setting up EDTracker with Opentrack and first test in CLOD
So I followed the EDTracker developers instructions in setting up the Opentrack. Happy to say that after certain tinkering with various settings and Inverting axis it was working in the directions I wanted it to, so time to fly.

After the first 30 minutes I experienced symptoms similar to vertigo, dizziness and generally feeling ill (apparently the normal reaction for most people, even with TrackIR)

So I had a break and re-calibrated the device as I have noticed some Yaw Sway to the left.

After a short break I tried again, with better results. It felt a lot smoother and I did not feel as ill.

Quick points I have noticed:
1. Occasional Yaw view drag can be annoying but it is usually sorted with "Autobias" which can be ran whilst still in game or a view reset button.
2. It's smooth for the most parts and unlike IR, not affected by lighting
3. Even when looking fully back, you can't check behind your plane properly, probably a blind spot of around 15% to 25%, big enough to miss a BF109 on your tail.

Edit 19.08.2015
Regarding Yaw drift, I have now noticed that if you switch off the Native GUI for the EDTracker and have just the OpenTrack running for gameplay, there is no Yaw drift. Last night I have played using EDTracker for approximately 6 hours and haven't noticed any Yaw drift, now I don't have a great deal of experience, but in my eyes, this is GOOD.

Edit 25.08.2015
Thanks to Lewis getting in touch with Brumster and other folks in the discussion below, a work around for "checking 6" with off set camera has been shown to us by the developer, Brumster. I have incorporated that yesterday into my set up and wow, it works an absolute treat. I had no problem checking behind me with the work around leaning my head out the cockpit if it was open, or a simulation of pressing my face against cockpit glass whilst looking behind if the cockpit was closed.
The solution has provided a great solution to a problem that few have mentioned before. Therefore I believe it is fitting to update my score of the product.

So I give this initial score of 9.5 out of 10.

The only thing that affects the score is the 6DOF that TrackIR may provide for that fully immersive feel, but this product gets you pretty damn close. Just to give a little bit of comparison; I have been flying two and a half weeks, in the first two weeks I have managed to score a total of 5 kills and plenty of my deaths. Last night alone I scored 6 kills (one of them on the ground), by having the extra security set for checking my tail, it allowed me to stay up longer, and avoid those 109s trying to bounce me (of course I died few times too).

Pros:
Not affected by lighting
Smooth
Fairly easy setup

Cons:
Lack of 6DOF - albeit a work around is available for certain aspects

I will update review after a few weeks of using it to show how the unit is holding up. Also I will note here any quickfixes to known problems (sway, tail checking etc), as well as any new problems that occur during the normal use.

Dave

Re: HOWTO: EDTracker. Free Head Tracking

Post by Dave » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:12 pm

I've got one of these http://www.trackhat.org/#!trackhat-clip/c6i2 ordered, and it should arrive within the next week or so. It does support 6DOF, is just as precise as TrackIR, and is more durable. So sayeth the reviews anyway. It's also cheaper than EDTracker at £32 in total, including the camera. Will let you guys know how I get on with it.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:08 pm

If this is yet another solution then I'll split this thread into another headtracker solution thread.

Archangel

Post by Archangel » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:26 pm

Yea man... I found a link to this product range a while back and I posted a request of an opinion somewhere in this forum.

I have not seen a response yet mostly because I have been rebuilding my box.

However, I am definitely saving to get me 1 of those...... :)

Thanks for the reminder though.
"Never argue with an idiot - they only drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience" (Unknown)

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:34 pm

EDTracker/Opentrack configuration for 6DOF:
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Paddy

Post by Paddy » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:50 am

Any update on how this is working out for you? I'm pondering buying a trackir but interested to see if this is a goa or not.
Cheers,

Paddy
Group Captain John 'Paddy' Hemingway, we salute you

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:58 pm

TrackIR is a solution, no doubts, but it's expensive, so if you can do something else you should, then spend that cash on a high end stick like the warthog or some rudder pedals.

Viking

Post by Viking » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:48 am

I saw this last night for head tracking has anyone used this type of head tracker before?

http://www.delanengineering.com/

Kondor

Post by Kondor » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:19 am

HurstLlama does use the device made by this manufacturer, and, as far as I know, he is pretty happy with it.
Personally, I am using very similar device made by one guy here in Poland and it works like a charm with Open Track, requiring only to change the 9V batteries every two or three weeks.
Go for it if you don't want to spend ridiculous amount of currency on genuine TrackIR.
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you, He will not fail you or forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6