HOWTO: Saitek Pz55 Switch Panel ... And Me

Problems with your PC? Is your game screwed? Need advice? Let us know in here, we may be able to help.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Lee
Leutnant
Leutnant

HOWTO: Saitek Pz55 Switch Panel ... And Me

Post by Lee » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:16 pm

I feel like a triamphent hero ... and No , It did not claim kill or conducted a great Jabo mission last night ...
And All I want to do now is fly ..
But tonight , I will park my Black "4" ass down , take a sip of that beer ... Ah , This one
And tell you the story of the Saitek Pz55 Switch Panel ... me .. CloD and the greatest fighter aircraft in the world (bf 109) .
So , Yes , it is going to be a long post , and yes , I would probably wonder off topic here and there , but to those of you who will endure , I promise a practical guide of the above for the above ( Ha , the poetry of Pilots :) ) .
About a month ago , I have come to a shocking discovery .
As many discoveries go , this was a last minute discovery .
My Staffelkapitän couldn't make a campaign , and I was more or less abducted to the Stab's tent to finds out on a moment's notice that I will be leading the entire Staffle ! .
But that was not the earry discovery .
The discovery was that me and my X55 Rhino have run out of switches .
It was 2 minutes to takeoff , and Operations Offizier Boyezee , that was the designated Ground Controller for this mission asked me to dedicate another button on my whisper list for the Stab ... a minute and a half before takeoff I was stairing at my x55 which was in turn , stairing at me as I have realized , I have no key , switch , button or nob to spair .
A minute before takeoff , we were already called in , I looked at my keyboard and decided to use "G" for "Ground Control" ...
I guess most of you know the rest ( those who don't - should look up what is the default CloD action for the "G" key ) .
After this horrific mission - I have tried to reset several switches on my Rhino , just to find out - that during each flight , something in my key combination closes both Rads in an engagement .
It was obvious to me that something needs to be done ...
I was scanning the web for solution one night , when I saw this :
Its beauty was its simplicity - No elaborate buttons or slide bars , just some switches a nob and a lever .
I fell in love instantly .
Price tag was as expected painful , and the chances that Galy would ever authorize this looked as slim as me shooting down Robo ( One day man , One glorious day ) .
I decided to apply some pressure , and after the not surprising first "No" brought the mater up in any conversation ....
Then a miracle happened , and my youngest (Lucas ) broke my oldest daughter's iPhone ...
The dudes in the Apple Store pulled a quick one and managed to get Galy to by our pressure daughter a brand new iPhone 6 ..
It cost - 4K ( Shekels gentleman ) .
It was the best news ever , In a short rant I managed to secure both the Saitek Pz55 Switch Panel and the DCS: M-2000C by RAZBAM .
After 3 failed attempts , I finally found someone in ebay that ships to my country and it arrived 2 days ago ...
I couldn't wait , and on the same night , I asked Noga to help me and we installed in just under my screen as seen above .
The plan was simple - move Magneto switch , Landing Gear switch , Propeller Pitch automation button and master arms to the panel and free more switches on the x55 for my duties for the Rich .
I installed the drivers from the CDROM that arrived with the panel , connected the USB cable and fired up CloD , stupidly expecting in my thick skull that everything would work together ...
and - Nothing , CloD did not register ANT switch movement , lever position or nob switch .
Dismayed I scanned the Internet fearing the worst ( confronting Galy ) when I saw This:
This thing works only with FSX, and is NOT programmable.
http://www.saitek.com/UK/prod/pfpanel.htm
Don't get it thinking it is a keyboard emulator, like I did. It is certainly not, and will not work with ANYTHING other than FSX. There are, I think, some work around patches for FS9 and maybe X-plane, but won't work with IL-2, or anything else out there.
Considering selling it, really really disappointed in Saitek and the buyer beware - you should have known better - response. And right they are, so don't be like me.
Now trying to decide if I even want to keep the damn thing and fly with FSX.
Ripcord
Read more: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/t ... z3o0GnNM4o
Follow us: @SimHQ on Twitter | SimHQ on Facebook
I was shocked , despaired I opened up XFS just to see if as promised , it would work there .. It didn't :shock:

But I am Blue , that means I am methodical , and as stubborn as a mule .
It was late at night , but at that point , I thought that with my background in technology and sheer will , I will find something ...
Well I did .
It turns out that the guys in DCS , specifically in ED forums are more stubborn and thickheaded then me .
There is a whole thread dedicated to this issue :
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p ... ost2293326
It appears as if someone from DCS couldn't let thing lye and wrote a programmable software specifically for this hardware .
The software is free and open - source :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/flightpanels/
Thing is , that software is old , it was written when DCS was just beginning its current reincarnation , and it supports only a handful of aircrafts , non of which are of ANY use for me ( A-10 ; Huey ; TF51D ; Mig 21 ) .
Since it was my only lead , and targets a Sim I am flying - I decided to go for it .
The software requires (other then the Flightpanels software itself ) a component called DCS Bios .
I got busy downloading , reading the entire user manual , and installing the thing .
HOLD ON - Do NOT Do what I did - Don't go downloading the software and the DCS Bios quite yet , Read through , I promise you It's worth it .
Reading through the manual , I found out that other then already mentioned above DCS modules the software also supports a "non" configuration .
The non configuration is a key board emulater that does NOT use DCS-BIOS or the Strike driver and software but rather the Human Interface Windows driver .
Granted - it was not designed originally for Windows 10 , but it looked generic as it can be - with a clear path for CloD .
I decided to install the software (which essentially means unzipping an archive and lining one executable ) and running it .
I figured that if it would run on a Windows Notepad - it would run on anything .
So , I entered the software and dedicated Gear Down to "D" and Gear Up to "U" , I dedicated the nob "0" to "off "A" for R (Right Magneto - AKA M1) "B" for L (Left Magneto - AKA M2) and "C" for Both/All (AKA M1+2) and "I" for "Start" .. and a couple of other switches ...
I then opened a Notepad and began turning the nob .
Success .
With a Joy in my heart , I opened CloD and assigned the relevant keys .... It took me a second or two to remember how crappy CloD controls are and much much longer to find out that "Engine Start" or "Ignition" or "Starup" are called "Toggle Selected Engine(s)" in CloD .
The horrific truth is that the controls in CloD are Crappy that Magnetos cannot be set that way .
For Tommies , it is much easier as there are settings for "Magneto 1 on" and "Magneto 1 Off" but for us Huns , we only have the "Magneto Next position" and "Magneto Previous Position" , which is totally incompatible with the realistic design of the switch panel .
Well I have set "0" for "Toggle Magneto previouse Position" and "C" for "Toggle Magneto Next position" , I figured I would fiddle around with this a little , all this time blind to the one true thing that would really bite me in the ass ...
When I was done I entered CloD , Too afraid to open TS , and entered a bf-109 in DangerDogs .
I had to fiddle around with the magneto switch some , but it seem to work .
I slowly taxied to the Runway in Coquelles and started my takeoff run , thinking that the bulk of it all is behind me ... How wrong was I ...
As I rotated my heart filled with joy , and then , I did what any pilot would do , in the cockpit or next to his PC , I held my hand out and lifted the liver handle for the Landing gear ... The blue text in the upper corner of my screen said "Landing gear - " , My hear sunk .. There is no middle position for the landing gear lever and the Crappy CloD control setting that provided a successful early warning system for many things I encountered did nothing to prepare me for that .
I decided to pull the lever down and up again ... No Joy - The blue text informed me "Landing Gear Down" .
I discussed the matter with Adjutant Falcon and Geschwaderkommodore Pitti hoping for a solution - but was only suggested to use the same methodology as I have used In the Magneto settings - "Toggle next Landing Gear Position" :cry: .
I don't know about you , but even tough it worked (Up for Toggle ) It was NOT good enough for me ...
I really wanted the entire use of my landing gear lever .
As they were leaving Falcon said - "Set the software for a sequence , so if "U" is for up , program the software to put "U" ... and then another "U" .
I began reading the manual that suggested to manually edit the settings file to send a combination ...
No Joy - Sending U + U did nothing ... What I needed is a sequence ....
Well in the above mentioned ED forum thread - there was announcement that the software now supports timed sequence - Instead of clicking a position for assignment - Right click the setting and select "Sequence" , Then provide the sequence and the time spacing - and save .
I have set Both Magnetos position to the sequence of (A .. half a second .. B .. half a second .. C ) and the Gear up position to ( U .. One Second U ) Gear Down to (D .. One Second .. D ) , and finally magnetos off to B.. half a second ..A.. half a second ..0) ....
It was quarter past one in the morning and I was extremely tiered , but could not wait to sit in my bird ...
Turned the nob to Magnetos both position and watched them go from off to M1 .. M2 .. M1+2 .
With my heart pounding I taxied to the runway ... lined up and pushed full throttle ..
As I have rotated - I pulled the gear lever to the "up" position ..
I cannot explain the joy I felt as gear went from down , to neutral to up ...
It works ... and it works well and it works well in CloD , and it works well in CloD with the bf-109 .
Is it perfect ? - No , there are concessions you will have to do , but they are minor ... and nothing is perfect ( except that feeling at quarter past one in the morning ) .
Is it over - Hell no , I still want to configure the LED indicators on the panel ( yes , there is a way ) , and I haven't even tried DCS yet ...
So much to do ... yet .
Shortcomings :
One more software that needs to be open before I fire up CloD .
In DCS , it requires different profile per each module you fly .
And there is no way around it - you have to configure things .
Is it worth it ? the money , the effort ,arguing with Galy ....
Hell Yeah !!!!

Ninja

Re: Saitek Pz55 Switch Panel ... And Me

Post by Ninja » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Nice Lee,
If I read this correctly you just need the Flightpanel software ?
Let us know how you get on I have the PZ55 and the PZ70 which I believe can also be used.
Would like to get them both working in CLoD and DCS :).

Ruff

Post by Ruff » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:10 pm

Excellent post Lee!
Thank-you for sharing.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:54 am

Lee made boring technical instructions into a joyous story, but you need to imagine Lee reading it especially if you have had the pleasure of meeting him :lux:

I'll put this into the helpdesk as a sticky HowTo

Bunny

Re: HOWTO: Saitek Pz55 Switch Panel ... And Me

Post by Bunny » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:58 am

That's a great write-up Lee - thanks! I love the panel too - it'd be great to have a visual indication of gear up or down - tempting!

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Lee
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by Lee » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi Everyone ...
As you know , I have got the panel working in CloD - Not without hitches , but working nonetheless .
All that was missing for my complete for the above CloD implementation - was the LED indicators ...
And then I saw THIS:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=137670&page=24
Hi, you cannot use the led lights without using the currently supported DCS-BIOS modules which are .... Your profile says "None", when you create a profile make sure to choose either of the supported modules. Make sure you have a working DCS-BIOS installation, see first post in this thread
So let me clarify
Flightpanels supports PZ55 switch panel either as "Keyboard Emulator" (profile=None) or as DCS-BIOS device (profile = Any of the currently supported flight modules ) .
To achieve what I have achieved , I needed to use PZ55 as a keyboard emulator .
Mapping keys to PZ55 switched via Flightpanels software and then setting and tweaking them in CloD .
Setting LED's proved a much harder task .
The way I see it there are 2 possible action plans
Naive configuration , in which LED lights (or absence there of ) is depended of lever position + timing .
While it does look good , it does not provide a realistic depiction of Landing Gear positioning in-game .
Realistic indication - in which LED lighting correctly depicts landing gear positioning in - game .

While the first is easier to achieve then the ladder , neither can be configured simply be documented software settings .
To achieve any of the above , I would need to find out if the Flightpanels has an API to which I can connect and "Ask" for LED settings .
I am almost sure there is - since clicking the LED's in the program does activate them .
Once accomplished , I will need to see if CloD has an API - and if I can create triggers depending on warning lights , or gages .
Since there are already applications that connect to CloD (and DCS ) to show gages , I am sure that this too can be achieved .
It would require coding ... and time ...
So - if anyone has any leads to the above I would love to hear about it :-)

Just found this:
http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/f ... nextoldest
Useful

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:06 pm

Hi Lee,

This is broadly similar to some work that Miki has been doing using an arduino and c#. You may find some thing of use there in terms of leads for interfacing to CloD.

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/forum/v ... =18&t=4782

Lee
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by Lee » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:11 pm

Amazing - Will do and post :-)

OldRed

Post by OldRed » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:39 am

I just bought one of these myself, so I'm grateful for the detailed walk through ;) I just need to figure out where I'm going to mount it :)

Works, too :)

In the Information Age, the only excuse for ignorance is laziness

Darky

Post by Darky » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:56 pm

Lee thank you very much :D this was in depth and accurate i have my landing gear working fine with the lever all thanks to you and will have plenty of fun assigning my keys :nice:

"I, Brian Anthony Dark, Swear by Almighty God that I will be Faithful and bear True Allegiance to His Royal Highness King George VI, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in Duty bound, Honestly and Faithfully Defend His Highness, his Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all Enemies and will Observe and Obey all Orders of His Highness, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Air Officers and other Officers set over me."