Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Matt
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Sqn Cdr

Re: Actual flying in the UK

Post by Matt » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:33 pm

Tex wrote:Thanks so much for the tips on this. I was content to think about a Cessna 152 but have now elevated my aspirations. I need to work out exactly where we are staying to figure out the distances, time involved, etc. And then, I have to work on the spouse to get the green light to make it happen. The idea of flying in the Spit is growing on me. The price is a bit steep but I think I can justify it as a "bucket list" item and work to open the savings account a bit. We shall see.
It would also be great to run into the "real" 501 while over there. I will keep you posted on my plans as the develop.
Tex : if you look at the site i mentioned above they are doing a reduced price for the spitfire now

Stribers
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Post by Stribers » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:10 pm

I am suprised to be able to get airborne in a Spitfire £2750 a bargin!! That would be on everyones bucket list. However you could fly in something not quite so relevant for a lot less and proberbly spend more time stooging round familier countryside of Cliffs. Also in booking a flight in something not so dependant on the very best weather conditions would give you more of a chance to go where you wanted and the opportunity to delay take off if necessary.
I have done this and its a wonderful experience especially at low level, I get the same buz now as I put the nose of my 109 on the nick in the hillside, fly down the valley from Canterbury then out through the cliffs at Dover then bank left as you view the harbour then head along the cliffs up to Manston . Just get it booked,chance in a life time. :lux:

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:24 pm

That's a good point - what was the aircraft that Dickie had a fly in, and took the controls himself? That looked like fun!

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Jammy

Post by Jammy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:33 pm

I hear the T6 Texan is the most affordable plane to have a flight in if you're looking for a WW2 aircraft feel. It's certainly on my bucket list
I do like to shoot down planes yes I do

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:51 pm

Or if you come up to South Derbyshire Tex, for £499 you could have 60 minutes in a Tiger Moth, flying over the dams that 617 Dambuster Squadron used to practice on - you can take the controls yourself :nice:

https://vintageflying.co.uk/product/dambuster-run/

You'd even get to try some decent cider which should be ready by then ;)

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Maltloaf
Location: Salisbury Plain, birthplace of British military aviation.

Post by Maltloaf » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:09 pm

I think the T6 is still fairly eye watering. What about a DHC1 Chippie ? I know it lacks about a thousand horsepower compared to the Spit but the cockpit is very similar, it flys like a dream and smells as bad. Clearly I am biased. I did some maths and if you want to do something like Biggin, Manston, Deal, Dungeness to Biggin in something that does 100kts without any messing about it will take well over an hour. The summer is a long way off but if you pm me much nearer the time I might be able to arrange something. No promises! On the other hand, if you break open the piggy bank and go for a Spit, book now!
"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 am

Either way Tex... if you're coming to the UK we need to organise a meet up.

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:36 pm

Agreed on the meet up. And, I have to share a funny and relevant story.
So, this flight has been on my bucket list for a long time. I initially learned to fly gliders and trained with some exRAF pilots who told me stories that have helped inspire my love of flight and interest in the Battle of Britain. But, the cost of being in a Spit was always a bit of a concern.
Enter my wife.
You may have seen my recent photos of the DVII after interest in Rise of Flight. It was a lovely model and has stood protected on my desk shelf for some time. After photographing it for the forum, my wife commented on how nice it looked and said “why don’t you leave it out so we can admire it.” You know where this is going.
A few days later, she comes to me dour faced and confessed to accidentally hitting it with a pillow. It is toast, and I don’t mean the kind you put Marmite on. I accepted her apology because, let’s face it whether it is rc model or static, sooner or later it is getting broken.
Next day, all on her own, she says to me “why don’t you look into taking that flight in the Spitfire you were talking about? It would mean so much to you.”
I’m a lucky guy for many different reasons.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:37 pm

My main concern now is whether I have enough hair for the Brylcream.
Image Howdy Ya'll!

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:48 pm

Damnit man - we can lend you a wig!!

That's a special lady you have there, though I'm sure you don't need that pointing out!