Fuck-it Attitude and Bad Vision Make The Elderly Poor Fighter Pilots

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Wordy

Fuck-it Attitude and Bad Vision Make The Elderly Poor Fighter Pilots

Post by Wordy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:07 pm

My 2-year anniversary with ACG comes this month, just in time for the group's transition. It feels like an appropriate time to say goodbye.

I'm going to give in to my first impulse and say, "Thank You!" to everyone. I always felt warmly welcomed and enjoyed all the assistance one could ask for . . . and more, thanks to my staffel-mates and especially our fearless-leader, Goat. The traits of a good leader are sometimes difficult to define because they're often context dependent and subjective, but I saw true leadership here.

I also want to commend ACG high command for their dedicated service to the group and their emphasis on fun and inclusion. As a pilot with serious limitations I wouldn't have lasted this long otherwise.

There's an obvious reason old people don't fly combat; they can't see shit! My own cataract-burdened eyeballs also have to contend with looking through the bottoms of my bifocals when trying to see things close up. It's an unavoidable consequence of aging so there's no escape for any of you, but maybe you'll have better options.

Before joining the group it had been nearly 25 years since my old PC gaming days. During that time the internet became the thing and an entire new gaming culture formed while I wasn't paying attention.

Coming back into this world felt a bit like returning to one's home planet and realizing you still understand the language but have no idea what people are talking about! I'm not exaggerating when I say it was pretty overwhelming.

Assimilating into the culture was the hard part. The games were easy by comparison, though the fact that nearly every one of you were (and still are) miles ahead in terms of experience makes it feel like I'm stuck in the steep part of the learning curve. But I love every minute and always have fun.

In my inaugural post as a full-fledged ACG member I said I wouldn't quit until I had my fill of character deaths. My characters did die a lot but I was actually referring to enemy characters! It's funny how things work out.

I counted just one (enemy) kill in my two years with the group and that came only a few missions ago. But oh how glorious it was! Because of Zyk and BlackDog I even have 5 amazing screenshots of it. Thanks guys! The images are awesome and I plan to keep them.

I'm leaving to explore Central and South America in a couple months but until then you can hunt me down in BoX. I'll be attacking ground targets . . . they don't move very fast and are a whole lot easier to see!

To everyone I played with: gg

Wordy out

Onebad

Re: Fuck-it Attitude and Bad Vision Make The Elderly Poor Fighter Pilots

Post by Onebad » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:38 pm

Hey Wordy if you think that your eyes aren't good enough fly a swift mover would you considering joining a Pe-2 or Stuka unit we have now? As you said, you don't need good eyes to attack ground targets and you could still partake in campaign.

Rich

Post by Rich » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:03 pm

Gg mate. Enjoy central and south America and I have no doubt you would always be welcome to come back. You could always get a bigger screen.

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:07 pm

All the best Wordy! You'll be missed!
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Shadepiece

Post by Shadepiece » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:33 pm

Wordy, I can honestly say that you were one of my favorite individuals to have shared the airspace with. You have always had a very positive attitude, and been a wealth of human experience from which I've drawn of these past two years. I will sincerely miss you and your laid-back hippie voice in my ear. I am so glad that you have been able to stay as long as you have even through your health issues, and it brings an actual tear to my eye knowing that you are leaving to go explore the world, and not because you were hospitalized or worse. I very much hope to hear from you from time-to-time, and I hope that we may even be blessed with some pictures of the beautiful places you're going to see. Safe travels my friend, we will always have your engine warm if you are ever wishing to fly one more time with us.

Smokejumper

Post by Smokejumper » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:44 am

Bye Wordy!!!

I hope you have a good adventure. Hopefully I can catch you before you go. IF not take care buddy.

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:52 pm

Enjoy the travels mate... and I am glad the piccies brought you joy!

Stay safe and see you around!

:B:
BD
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further; it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow across that angry or that glimmering sea

Kubo
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by Kubo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:10 am

All the best Wordy,

Thanks for your time in ACG. Enjoy your travelling.

Kubo :salute:

Wordy

Post by Wordy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:10 pm

Aw shit, I already miss you guys! I did try to drop into your new TS channel ahead of mission time but it was locked.

Still 4 weeks before leaving Las Vegas (Oct 30 flight); no clue where I'll ultimately end up but it won't be here. I paid 36% more than the previous tenet and rents are still rising!

Maybe look for me trolling our old TS channel? I'll make an effort.

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:45 am

Enjoy your new travels Wordy - grab it whilst you can is a great mantra :nice:

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams