No votes
Cosford Air Show 9 June
3%

Total votes: 36

BlackDog

ACG Gathering 2019

Post by BlackDog » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:54 pm

Its that time chaps!!!

To seriously start considering if the pilgrimage to Duxford Flying Legends is to carry on this year
https://www.iwm.org.uk/events/flying-legends-2019
July 13th-14th 2019

Tickets not been released yet, but we should probably tap up the hotel again if we are heading there?

Also of note, I think if people have interest, there is the new Biggin Hill Memorial Museum
https://bhmm.org.uk/

and not far away, the Brooklands Museum
https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/

Both of which could be visited on the Saturday.

Or..........CAMPING!!! No not the CS-GO type.... or even the OneBad type :o .... but the tent variety at RIAT!
https://www.airtattoo.com/
July 19th to the 21st 2019

As we now have a growing DCS community and some may like a mix of Jets and WW2 stuff.... RIAT this year looks like it will be pretty good, including the return of the Harrier :nice: (granted in Spanish hands...pffft) but we could do this quite effectively.

For those that want to attend the show itself, whilst it is quite expensive, maybe folks could do this on the Saturday, then massive BBQ style gathering Saturday night in an ACG area, with those not wanting to pay the entry price, there are some truly superb viewing spots that I have attended over the last couple of years, like Totterdown Farm campsite where you overlook the entire airfield.

Anyhoo....

Let the debate begin!! :popcorn:

:salute:
BD
Last edited by BlackDog on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further; it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow across that angry or that glimmering sea

Sharpe

Re: ACG Gathering 2019

Post by Sharpe » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:16 pm

BlackDog wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:54 pm
including the return of the Harrier :nice: (granted in Spanish hands...pffft)
Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood and the last drop of fuel - to the last beat of the heart.

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:46 pm

I'd be bang up for RIAT and Totterdown Farm however my days of living in fields under canvas are well and truly over so will look at hiring a motorhome for the weekend :lol:
Professional manchild

Darky

Post by Darky » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:13 pm

Brooklands is good but it will not have the flying legends and it has lots of pushbikes buses and motor cars and less aircraft

"I, Brian Anthony Dark, Swear by Almighty God that I will be Faithful and bear True Allegiance to His Royal Highness King George VI, his Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in Duty bound, Honestly and Faithfully Defend His Highness, his Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all Enemies and will Observe and Obey all Orders of His Highness, his Heirs and Successors, and of the Air Officers and other Officers set over me."

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:26 pm

Yeah Darky, Brooklands is simply a few hours visit as part of a Legends weekender! They have 'R' for Robert, Wellington being restored and of course its anniversary year for the Concorde so a chance for some to go into the mighty bird!

I think RIAT could be a blast, especially as many like the idea of lounging in the sun watching planes for relatively low cost.

I agree Jonesy, I would probably find a small motorhome as well, which if we could all get our act together, we could have 'UNIT' motorhomes to share the cost?

An idea anyway...

Need more input from folks! Feb is just a few days away and certainly RIAT tickets sell out fast, especially Saturday.

In terms of transport, Gatwick to Reading via train is easy and then train to Swindon where ACG members could pick folks up to transfer to nearby RAF Fairford.

:salute:
BD
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further; it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow across that angry or that glimmering sea

Bully

Post by Bully » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:19 pm

If we did Fairford then a field would be better - it’s bloody expensive to get into the airfield and there’s not much more to do (no museums like Duxford) Sunday would be better for me, if that matters.

Duxford is easier for our foreign visitors but we’ve done it so many times that it’s getting a bit repetitive, unless a mosquito or something turns up. But does it matter where we go? More for the company than what we do. A big fuck off ACG paintball event?

Guido

Post by Guido » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:42 pm

For a different venue, RNAS Yeovilton having a RN International Air Day on 13th July.

Not much detail yet

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/yeovilton-airday

The Fleet Air Arm Museum there is worth a visit too.

Guido

Digby

Post by Digby » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:00 pm

Flying Legends has my vote. :salute:

Matt
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Sqn Cdr

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:08 pm

Flying legends... maybe on the saturday, go capel le ferne or hawkinge and manston musuem

Bully

Post by Bully » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:51 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:08 pm
Flying legends... maybe on the saturday, go capel le ferne or hawkinge and manston musuem
:nice: