Blenheims in Swastikas....

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

BlackDog

Blenheims in Swastikas....

Post by BlackDog » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:54 am

An interesting tale involving the Brits sending Blenheims to the Finns...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2people ... 3341.shtml

:salute:
BD
Last edited by BlackDog on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further; it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow across that angry or that glimmering sea

Onebad

Re: Blenheims in Swastikas....

Post by Onebad » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:14 am

You'd think a Swastika would make any plane look good, but apparently it doesn't.
The Blenheim still looks like Blenheim.

HansWind

Post by HansWind » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:33 pm

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

In that picture you see the Blenheim IV BL-200 in the aviation museum at Tikkakoski, Finland.
(I did my military service in the air force there in 1982-1983; not in the museum but in the unit stationed in Tikkakoski)

In addition to the 12 Blenheim IV and 12 Blenheim I types purchased from England, the Finnish Air Force acquired manufacturing licence in 1938 and built 45 Blenheim I and 10 Blenheim IV during the war. Bomb bay doors were removed which enabled doubling the payload.

The total number of Blenheims in Finnish service was 99 aircraft. They were finally decommissioned in 1958.

P.S. The blue swastika was the original symbol of the Finnish Air Force in the honour of the Swedish count Carl Gustaf Bloomfield Eric von Rosen who donated the very first aircraft to us, a Thulin Typ D on 6 March 1918. You can still see that swastika in the current Air Force flag.
Stab/JG26 aka 4 Squadriglia

Genisis

Post by Genisis » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi Blackdog........Hope all is well with you sir..Me ? I'm still floating around CLOD......Thats a fanastic story.. thanks fo that. My best Regards Gen.