My Journey to Creating a Button Box

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Geordie

My Journey to Creating a Button Box

Post by Geordie » Tue May 21, 2019 9:10 pm

Over the past few months I've been toying with the idea of creating a button box to help improve my flight sim experience. Recently I've found myself getting back into BMS with the release of BMS 4.34 I've realised you can never have too many buttons and switches (I should have really figured this out with BMS but better late than never).

I have decided to create my very own USB button box and my supplies have arrived.

I have ordered myself an arduino microcontroller alongside several buttons and switches to get me started. A friend of mine is also 3d printing me some housing once everything is wired up. This is going to be my first project using an arduino and I haven't done anyhting with electronics for over 11 years so this should be a fun experenice for me. I have placed pictures below bits of the housing which have been printed so far.

Due to trhe size of the housing all in all the print is going to take around 50 hours to complete, Luckily this is very hands off and can be left over night/during the day.

I will upload more pictures as the project gets underwar. My first task will be drawing up a desgin for the wiring and putting this into action.

I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Django

Re: My Journey to Creating a Button Box

Post by Django » Tue May 21, 2019 9:44 pm

Where did you source your components from? I'm getting round to building a similar contraption.

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Tue May 21, 2019 9:53 pm

Django wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:44 pm
Where did you source your components from? I'm getting round to building a similar contraption.
Mostly Amazon. It cost me around £25 for everything pictured. The bigest expense was having to buy a new soldering iron since I haven't seen mine in years! That added another £15 onto that however.
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Ginger
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
ACG Board
contributor
Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Post by Ginger » Wed May 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Nice one Geordie, that's a big organ you have, and where did you get that miniature statue of onebad? :D
DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Wed May 22, 2019 9:10 pm

Ginger wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:56 pm
Nice one Geordie, that's a big organ you have, and where did you get that miniature statue of onebad? :D
That's a photo sent from my friend who's printing the parts mate ;)