VR poll: Are you using / considering VR for sim flying?

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

VR poll: Are you using / considering VR for sim flying?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:24 pm

I never tried VR in a flight sim
36%
I tried VR but didn’t like the experience due to limitations of current devices
7%
I tried VR but not switching due to required upgrades to hardware (VR set, CPU / GPU, HOTAS)
12%
I tried VR and seriously considering switching
2%
I use VR, but interchangeably with a screen / indifferent between the two
10%
I already mostly fly in VR and will not go back to a screen
33%

Total votes: 42

Ginger
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
ACG Board
contributor
Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Re: VR poll: Are you using / considering VR for sim flying?

Post by Ginger » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:59 am

Windows VR Headsets | I saw HUGE performance improvements & better fps after doing these things!

DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Konaber

Post by Konaber » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:19 pm

Thx Ginger, will try.
Il2 is currently working fine for me, DCS not so ...

Crane

Post by Crane » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:04 am

Mephisto

Post by Mephisto » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:12 pm

Finally got my G2, tested some time yesterday directly head-to-head with my Index. Jesus is it sharp...Got shoot down because I was fascinated with the instruments...

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:13 pm

I finally unpacked my G2 after 3 weeks of waiting....much better than the Rift S. Controllers and using WMR is the hardest part to get used to, in addition To the headset being a tighter fit and not being able to see the keyboard as easy....now to figure out how to record on OBS with it is the next challenge

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Sure Shot
Unterfeldwebel
Unterfeldwebel

Post by Sure Shot » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:45 am

Also a new HP Reverb G2 owner coming from the first consumer edition of the Rift. It can only be described as a blind man who has been given glasses. It is so damn crystal clear in the center I might as well be looking at my 4k monitor. I tried so hard to see the screen door effect but it's almost impossible. It does blur around the edges, but I don't notice it when I'm in a game.

The speakers on the thing are incredible also. My only downsides are the controllers aren't as good as Oculus's. They track well for me but do feel a bit on the cheaper side. This is a nonissue when using a flight stick though. And I'm having some software issues with it. Steam's VR's home acts like it's having a seizure for some reason making it hard to start a game up.

I am a little worried about if something will break on it though. A good number of people report some parts of the headset not working after two days for whatever reason. Seems like the first batch had some bad eggs. If you are looking at getting the G2 I recommend waiting until early 2021 to order. That way most of the headsets with issues will be fixed in manufacturing. And if you have an AMD processor you might want to read up on the issues some people were having with that. But that's something I believe can be patched on AMD's side.

Over all great headset. Looking forward to being able to identify planes before I nearly land on them.

Ginger
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
ACG Board
contributor
Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Post by Ginger » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:05 pm

I'am on AMD , no issues at all. :nice:
DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Orb
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Staff
contributor

Post by Orb » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:48 pm

The first batch of HP G1s were also borked (crappy plug connector). They've been great at replacing dodgy kit though. They swapped my G1 out when it died a few months ago.

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:09 pm

I finally plugged the G2 in after a few weeks just sitting next to me. Felt no rush since i had the Rift S....

Well, It is night and day difference in clarity compared to the Rift S. I can identify aircraft types much sooner now without the screen door effect. Don't like the controllers at all, but then again, I rarely use them anyway. The only negative thing I can think of, is the there is very little room to see your keyboard, unlike Oculus that left a sliver of light come in on the bridge of the nose so you can look down on your keyboard. I might think about cutting a sliver in on the plastic , but we'll see. Right now I just lift my googles just a hair to get the key I need.

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Konaber

Post by Konaber » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:34 am

Anyone tried to use this as a kneeboard solution?

https://www.aerofly.com/community/forum ... -it-works/