NEW VR vs. Monitor poll - REQUEST ALL ACG MEMBERS TO VOTE!

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Are you using VR to fly ACG Campaign missions?

Yes, I have been using VR for a while (6 months +)
22%
Yes, I am using VR and have made the move recently (less then 6 months)
12%
No, I am not using VR but considering a move, e.g. after PC upgrade, etc.
23%
No, I am not using VR and not considering a move in the foreseeable future
43%

Total votes: 82

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Re: NEW VR poll

Post by Jaydog » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:45 pm

Donkey wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:52 pm
The only problem in my opinion with VR is that once you've tried it ... It's just not worth going back. I felt that way with the Vive, and with the new generation Indexes/G2s/Quests etc... It's even more compelling.
My thoughts exactly...which is why I'm very much not looking forward to Tobruk without VR

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Boyezee

Post by Boyezee » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:54 pm

I must be the only person that has VR but still prefers using a monitor :lol:

Bully

Post by Bully » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:39 am

I have VR but don't use it while flying the campaign though certainly prefer it for anything else. I find it limits the ability to spot and have access to the buttons and the joystick and throttle that do stuff. Maybe I need to upgrade to a G2...

Trystan

Post by Trystan » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:12 am

I have VR and love it and the different perspective it gives you. I realize using VR puts you at a disadvantage against head tracker users, but I would rather have the better immersion. And the enhanced depth perception makes takeoff, landing, formation flying, etc. much easier.
ASUS Z97 / Intel i7-4790K@4.2 GHz / 64 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080Ti 11GB / WINDOWS 10 64-bit / 3 x 27" Monitors / Oculus Rift / Thrustmaster 16000m / Thrustmaster FCS Throttle Quadrant / Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

Paddy

Post by Paddy » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:36 am

Boyezee wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:54 pm
Why's that Boyezee? All I hear is VR is the bees knees and, although happy with a monitor myself, there's a tidal wave a-coming that I'll eventually get swept up in.
Cheers,

Paddy
Group Captain John 'Paddy' Hemingway, we salute you

Ginger
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
ACG Board
contributor
Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Post by Ginger » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:39 am

Paddy wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:36 am
Boyezee wrote:
Why's that Boyezee? All I hear is VR is the bees knees and, although happy with a monitor myself, there's a tidal wave a-coming that I'll eventually get swept up in.
VR is the bees knees for immersion no doubt , but graphically it's not a patch on a monitor and don't be fooled into thinking so. ;)
DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Boyezee

Post by Boyezee » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:19 pm

Paddy wrote:
Boyezee wrote:
Pretty much what Ginger says, VR no doubt is great experience wise but I prefer the higher resolution of the monitor and it's far more usable, I find having a VR headset uncomfortable after a short time and don't like having screens so close to my eyes.

But I have a Rift CV1 and maybe the newer sets are better, but for now I see VR as more novelty than something that replaces monitor gaming.

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:39 pm

Boyezee wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:19 pm
Paddy wrote:
Boyezee wrote:
Pretty much what Ginger says, VR no doubt is great experience wise but I prefer the higher resolution of the monitor and it's far more usable, I find having a VR headset uncomfortable after a short time and don't like having screens so close to my eyes.

But I have a Rift CV1 and maybe the newer sets are better, but for now I see VR as more novelty than something that replaces monitor gaming.
Rift CV1 compared to the newer generation headsets is apples and oranges. I went from the Rift S to G2 and it is night and day difference in clarity and no screen door effect. Much depends on settings. Of course clarity will never rival that of a flat screen monitor, but there is something to be said about being in the cockpit vs. watching your dog lick his nuts next to your feet in the middle of a dogfight using track IR.

I suspect clarity will get better in the future in VR, butbots probably 5 years away to rivaling flat screens.

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Sure Shot
Unterfeldwebel
Unterfeldwebel

Post by Sure Shot » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:09 pm

Still quite happy with my G2. VR has improved my abilities by a good margin. Spotting isn't even that bad on the G2 compared to my old CV1. I see things before even some people on monitors. And other times I'll be blind as a bat. Identifying can still be hard, but it's so much better than my old rift was. Really the only downside is checking six for me, although having to look back is fun.

If I had to go back to a flat screen I'd be disappointed, but for the sake of the group I'd suck it up and just use my old IR.

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:18 pm

I also like to remind folks that although the VR goggles are somewhat cumbersome and uncomfortable, you tend to get used to them. And afterall, the real pilots had to wear goggles too. So in that way, it's more immersive.