VR for Tobruk? vorpX

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Snowy

VR for Tobruk? vorpX

Post by Snowy » Sat May 22, 2021 1:30 pm

I just tried VorpX with my Valve Index and found it works reasonably well. It is not BoX nor DCS but it is not that far off actually. I can see the cockpit clearly and the outside views are actually just as clear for me as on a flat screen, a little better in fact as I can look around more easily and see a lot more. I am getting a 360 degree field of view so can see behind me for the awkwardly placed landing gear and other out of the way controls. I also get a much better perspective for turns, landing etc.
Because I have Opentrack installed it loads that to make use of my TrackIR like settings there so was quicker to configure than I expected. It only starts after you press 'Create' in game. There is a bit of setting up and you have to link it to Tobruk in the config section. I had it going in about 30 minutes but will be tweaking it some more.

This is a difficult one to recommend as it costs approx 34 quid but it seems to work, at least for me. It can be used with other games too, such as Witcher 3 and other non-VR games so the investment isn't just for Tobruk. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

I've created this post in case it is of interest for the VR enthusiasts among us who are not aware of this option. I'd be interested in your thoughts and experience if you have used it. Please don't buy it just on my recommendation. Make your own mind up about it.

To be clear, I am not recommending this solution to anyone, make up your own mind. I will use it and merely wanted to make people aware of it.

Update 25/5/21 Here is a step by step guide (I'll update this as and when to make it clearer.)

This is how I got it going, using a Valve Index and Opentrack. I had read up on it, particularly on Mudspike and noted the mixed comments but I was prepared to take a chance on it. You can find all that in the link if you want to read thought it: https://forums.mudspike.com/t/vorpx-impressions/9628. I basically followed what BeachAV8R did for Cliffs and it worked for me. I have tried to distil the essentials here.

Step 1. Note to self: I am willing to take the chance on this as it may not work and I will not blame Snowy!

Step 2 Purchase vorpX, download and install it (not as straightforward as it could be but follow their instructions)

Step 3. Run the vorpX config. Load an existing profile so as to be able to create and modify one for Cliffs. I picked ARMA III but I don't think it matters that much. Edit it and link to the Cliffs Launcher.exe.

Step 4 Run Steam VR, vorpX in Admin mode, have Opentrack with a usable profile running. I used my DCS profile from a while back. VorpX attempts to hook in the launcher and you get a message from Steam about launching into VR or something, just click OK.

Step 5 Load Cliffs and set up your mission using your monitor. I used the ACG server.

Step 6 When your aircraft is set up click on 'Create' then put on your headset. Note the display is now in your headset and also on the computer screen so it will use a lot of resources. What I saw surprised me as the first time I put it on I had a pretty good VR view of the cockpit and airfield.

Step 7 (optional) Press 'Delete' to bring up the vorpX menu. I noted it was already in Full VR mode but you can change it to other views. Full VR view was the best by far so I left it at that.

Issues:

1. I have noted some unwanted changes to the view if I muck around in OpenTrack. I initially used a DCS profile I have made some time ago which worked well. So I think you have to have a reasonably comfortable TrackIR or OpenTrack profile in place already. It uses that to get the VR 3D look around, otherwise it is just a flat view and may be what some complain about. Basically without that part working properly it is a waste of time.

I hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

2 26/5 It is very fussy about the forward view. I think its to do with where your headset is looking when you click on create but am yet to confirm this. If it starts off in the right view its fine but it is a but of a pain if not. Tobruk is crashing on me occasionally, which it does without vorpX running so can’t be sure what is the cause of this.

3 28/5 I find the best way to recentre the view is to stop and restart Opentrack. Only needed if the initial view is out.
Last edited by Snowy on Fri May 28, 2021 9:16 am, edited 6 times in total.

Valve Index, Intel Core i7- 11700K Processor, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 RAM, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070, ASUS TUF Z590 ATX Motherboard, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler, be quiet! Straight Power 11 Power Supply, 240GB NVME M.2 SSD and Samsung 970 EVOplus 1T SSD storage, BeQuiet 500DX Midi-Tower Case.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Re: VR for Tobruk? vorpX

Post by Donkey » Sat May 22, 2021 4:49 pm

My understanding is that vorpx in Tobruk doesn't actually give you a different image to each eye but rather the same, so you don't actually get a 3d image. Is this true?

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Sat May 22, 2021 6:15 pm

That’s not what I experienced Donkey. It was just as if I was in the cockpit. Much like BoX. The default key for vorpx configuration is Delete and you get quite a few options to play with.

Valve Index, Intel Core i7- 11700K Processor, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 RAM, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070, ASUS TUF Z590 ATX Motherboard, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler, be quiet! Straight Power 11 Power Supply, 240GB NVME M.2 SSD and Samsung 970 EVOplus 1T SSD storage, BeQuiet 500DX Midi-Tower Case.

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Sat May 22, 2021 6:29 pm

Hmm. Interesting. I may have to check it out then.

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Sat May 22, 2021 6:37 pm

I've only just got it this morning so early days for me Donkey. I'll report any issues I experience.

I found some very useful information on Mudspike:
https://forums.mudspike.com/t/vorpx-imp ... s/9628/157

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Sat May 22, 2021 10:55 pm

No bueno for me. Proper VR or nothing at all.

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Sun May 23, 2021 2:48 pm

So you've made your decision without seeing it?

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Sun May 23, 2021 2:58 pm

Yes...I've seen Youtube examples before and I am in no mood go through a bunch of set up hassles

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Sun May 23, 2021 5:00 pm

I don't necessarily blame Jaydog - all the youtube vids and commentary I've seeon on VorpX with CloD suggest it's a poor substitute, comes at a price, is a pain to set up etc... I had also heard from more than one source that it is the same image to each eye which is why I asked Snowy specifically about that.

Cliffs without proper VR is a pain, the sooner those of without VR stop suggesting we try a hacky 3rd party solution like VorpX the better. Not everyone wants to spend money and hours tinkering to get a solution that may or may not be worth the effort. I may try it, I'm quite techy and I kind of enjoy getting things working - but I certainly don't blame those who don't want to go down that path.

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Mon May 24, 2021 1:18 pm

I'm sorry I put this post up. I was just trying to be helpful and didn't think it would cause offence.
Last edited by Snowy on Mon May 24, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.