Cockpit build electronics thread

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Bubi

Re: Cockpit build electronics thread

Post by Bubi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:48 pm

I converted a TM Cougar TQS' throttle pot to a HID using a super magnet (Rare Earth Neodymium strong Permanent Magnets) and Hall Effect A1302 transducer. Both are dirt cheap - forgive the pun, using this method:

"Train as you fight, fight as you train"

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:27 pm

Bubi wrote:Last Friday I made a quick turn from my house to pick up my kid from Uni 725 miles round trip. Some shots I made for CASCA as we where texting across the States whilst I was crusing the desert highway.
:shock: I'm doing about 150 miles more than that and we're calling it a holiday in a foreign country! You just wouldn't want to do those miles over here - too many people and cars, no fun. I can imagine sitting on a nice straight road though and enjoying it :D I'll shut up now - don't want to hijack the thread :D

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:13 am

Bunny wrote:
Bubi wrote:Last Friday I made a quick turn from my house to pick up my kid from Uni 725 miles round trip. Some shots I made for CASCA as we where texting across the States whilst I was crusing the desert highway.
:shock: I'm doing about 150 miles more than that and we're calling it a holiday in a foreign country!
You going to Scotland or Wales Bunny :lol:
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:18 am

Worse. France :D

Mind you - I can understand them only slightly better than you lot up there :D

On a note of localised jingoism, I love the quote from Raised by Wolves (family are Brummies so it holds some fond memories for me) - said with pride by the family's mum, educating her 'babbies',

"We're not Southern twats, we're not Northern twats...we're Midlands twats."

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:39 am

Best don your black and white stripy top, beret and cloves of garlic then.

To be fair, Sabre has much more of a northern accent than me. I like to think I'm a well spoken Geordie.
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Back to the light switches, or rather, what I am trying to set up is a reliable, simple, "non-slotted photo interrupter switch"

http://www.utopiamechanicus.com/article ... al-switch/

The only ones I've seen so far are slotted types such as this one;

I wonder it is is possible to cut this type of common switch in half and still have it function? I need to pass a large object to break it and fire the signal.

If not this, what else? Are there other switches which will perform the same function? I don't want anything 'physical', ie like momentary push button, I need something that detects.

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:50 pm

Osprey wrote:Back to the light switches, or rather, what I am trying to set up is a reliable, simple, "non-slotted photo interrupter...

I wonder it is is possible to cut this type of common switch in half and still have it function? I need to pass a large object to break it and fire the signal.
This one was designed for high precision. To cut it in half (and assuming no connections are shared between halves), it's ability to sense goes to zero past 3-4mm separation (see fig6). Plus their would be issues with alignment, precision, light noise, foreign object blockage, decreased precision
http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datashe ... pi-574.pdf
If not this, what else? Are there other switches which will perform the same function? I don't want anything 'physical', ie like momentary push button, I need something that detects.
Could use an IR beam splitter designed for slightly greater distances such as this:
https://learn.adafruit.com/ir-breakbeam-sensors
Or as I posted earlier, suggesting Hall effect sensors.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:23 pm

YES! That's it, that's what I'm after, the same thing which is on the handle of the Sidewinder FFB joystick which only enables FFB when you grip the stick.

I need to span 2cm in 4 different places.

Hall effect may be easier tbh from looking at your image above, i'll have a read up on those

Thanks for your help there Bubi :nice:

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:36 pm

A bit of reading and I'm in business I think. Hall Effect looks easier.

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:02 pm

This is what I used... dirt cheap and very stable

A1302KUA-T Allegro A1302 Ratiometric Linear Hall Effect Sensors
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-Original-A ... 1178595704?

8pcs 6mm x 6mm x 6mm Blocks Rare Earth Neodymium strong Permanent Magnets N35
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8pcs-6mm-x-6 ... 1101951607?