A moment of silence...

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Broadsword

A moment of silence...

Post by Broadsword » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:56 pm

Gentlemen, it is with great sadness that I announce the untimely death of 'chair'.

'Chair' has been with me for fifteen years or so, and although I did not often think of it with the same affection that I have for 'joystick', 'monitor' or even 'mug', it is only fair to say that 'chair' has been with me for longer than any of them. 'Chair' has been my almost constant companion throughout the last decade and a half of gaming, following me loyally from house to house, giving much needed support to my tired limbs and never batting a plastic eyelid at the sometimes unspeakable acts of digital murder and mutilation to which it became a forced accomplice.

Sadly, even the best of relationships must come to an end. In its final months 'chair' became truculent and uncooperative. It began to balk at even the simplest of lateral movements, developed a small sharp bit that necessitated the purchase of a cushion, and gradually started to sink lower and lower despite my constant demands otherwise. Finally, in what some people might call an act of treason but I prefer to put down to senility, 'chair' began to try to throw me out. The locking mechanism for 'chair's' tilt action became worn to the point that any shifting of my weight ran the risk of suddenly firing the seat into the 'fully upright' position with an almighty bang, sending coffee, mice and keyboards flying. Gaming sessions began to resemble high-tension games of full-size Buckaroo, and I began to develop a bad back.

In the end something had to give, and it had to be 'chair'. With tears in my eyes I ordered 'new chair' from Overclockers, and it arrived yesterday. I am pleased to say that it is comfy as fuck, and I will miss 'old chair' not one whit whilst I am riding into battle perched on my new mount, like a medieval knight riding on a chubby red-striped pig.

The chair is dead! Long live the chair!

(Pictured: Old chair and new chair, obviously.)
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Thaine

Re: A moment of silence...

Post by Thaine » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:07 pm

:D brilliant. I wish you and chair (new and old) all the best..
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Robo

Post by Robo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:37 pm

To the chair!

Ninja

Post by Ninja » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:49 pm

Piano burned and Badgers drank in honour of chair RIP (Recycled In Parts)

vonLazan

Post by vonLazan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:30 pm

Miki

Post by Miki » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:17 pm

Are you playing Silent Hunter or Dangerous Waters, Broadsword ? :?:

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:28 pm

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

Bear

Post by Bear » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:14 pm

May it rest in pieces....

Goat

Post by Goat » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:45 pm

This post is hilarious...

I'm singing some songs for chair...

"Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling...
From glen to glen...
and down the mountainside..."

"Ther'll be blue birds over,
The white Cliffs of Dover...
Just you wait and see..."

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:48 pm

I parted ways with my chair recently after about the same amount of time. I must have got it in around '00-'01 or so. I just chucked it in another room like an old girlfriend, used, abused and now neglected. :D