I didn't quite know where to post this .....

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Nails

I didn't quite know where to post this .....

Post by Nails » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:48 pm

What can I say? I was on the server (alone), checking out a few recent Controller button moves.

I was joined by TeePee, and we were just warming up at Lympne, when the Mission ended. So we restarted, at Boulogne, France. By this time MJ, Luke, and Bonkin joined in.

For the first time ever, I was in the Sim taxing out to the aerodrome runway threshold with 4 other "real" people. TeePee became Squadron Leader, and provided a mini-brief, including DG settings. While we were waiting for Luke to join us, TeePee told me how I can adjust my flap settings in increments for take-off - Thanks very much for that advice.

I was looking out of my cockpit at the three other Hurricanes in line abreast ready for take-off. This was my first time ever, taking off in a group. I was a bit apprehensive that I might make a cock up, and end up showing how crap I am. But the actual take-off went by the numbers, and I was airborne, following MJ & Bonkin banking to Starboard.

We all formed up on the heading provided by TeePee. Who had to keep adjusting boost/speed/Alt so I could catch up now and again. However, on the whole, I surprised myself by actually sticking (loosely) in formation.

We flew the course provided, until the moment I saw a stream of cannon shells zipping past my cockpit. I think I even managed to inform everyone that I was breaking left - alerting them to the fact Bandits were amongst us! (I think MJ was calling out at about the same time too). In the ensuing dogfight(s) the Pro's were calling out enemy positions. For one brief moment, I even managed to get on one of the BnZ's six, but then lost him after a bit of ducking and diving. All this time, the feeling that there was a real person somewhere in the world sitting in that 109's cockpit never left me.

However, I never made it back to our aerodrome. In the heat of it all, I had left Boost Cut Out on for to long, and had left my Radiator at 50%. The inevitable happened, and my engine blew, then stopped. I briefly thought I should bail out. But I staid where I was, and carried out my very first dead stick landing - which I survived.

It was certainly one of the most exciting and exhilarating things I have ever done in recent years. Absolutely fantastic.

Unfortunately, I'm Nights this weekend and had to quit the Sim to get ready for work. I just wanted to say thanks to each and everyone of you who helped me out today. My inexperience in CEM let me down.

Robo

Re: I didn't quite know where to post this .....

Post by Robo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Great post mate, hope to fly with you soon!

Farber

Post by Farber » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:46 pm

and so your addiction begins sir... :)

Pitti

Post by Pitti » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Ha! That was good fighting action. The bandits were Trautloft, Ape and me. :)

Suddenly we saw a formation of Hurricans flying above and past us. Then we followed ....
Here's a screenshot, which I made while getting behind you all. One Hurricane isn't visble since it was a bit more to the right side.

:)

Bonkin

Post by Bonkin » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:43 pm

It was a really enjoyable couple of sorties and knowing who we were up against added to the tension. Thankfully I didn't get shot down (all though I was quite badly peppered) - and the celebrations after about five of us managed to shoot down Pitti was rather funny.

Thanks for posting this - it was a good read.

Trautloft

Post by Trautloft » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:38 am

Absolut! That was fun gents. But......got a Headshot from Luke this old sniper ;) . Very fast Kill and the best way to die in combat, i think. :roll:

Kristorf

Post by Kristorf » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:49 pm

The fights are good, teamwork and a sense of achievement is brilliant, especially when a group of 'vastly superior' Hurricanes get the edge ;)
Regards

Chris

Toxic

Post by Toxic » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:46 am

Great story mate!

Wait until you get good enough that you get wing tip to wing tip in formations and start playing around!
It's a thrill when you get that hun on your tail and you hear, "Toxic break left" and you pull hard left without question. And when you land, you turn off the engine, and I ask myself, "Why am I sweaty?" hahaha! God I love games that give you that total emersion factor!

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:04 pm

It'l be great to have you back flying Toxic, you just need to select if you want to go into No.501 or No.615 (assuming Hurricanes), then pick one of the available machines from the workshop :)

Check the website roster.

Gromic
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Post by Gromic » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:59 pm

Had a flight with the mates yesterday on a new frenchie map. Fun through and through. Had to fly a parchment bucket (seems Dowding is holding back his best equipment) but admit I had fun operating ancient technology. My hair went to shit though.
32 Squadron / USAAF 84 Squadron