Looking for new GPU - advice appreciated

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Vonhye

Looking for new GPU - advice appreciated

Post by Vonhye » Tue May 29, 2018 11:09 pm

Hey lads. I have old GTX 760 which is incapable of running modern games like Post Scriptum (which I am anxious to play), BoX with good view distance or bigger missions in Arma 3. I have my eyes on MSI GeForce GTX 1060 ARMOR 6G OCV1, which I can get for 312 EUR. I would like to ask, is it good idea to buy that card now for that price or shall I wait for release of new NVIDIA cards sometimes in fall? Also, do you think that they will be available, with that cryptocurrency craze all around?

Rest of my PC: i7 K 875 @ 2.93GHz, 8GB of RAM (Or should I upgrade my PC as a whole?)

Thanks for advice. :B:

BlackDog

Re: Looking for new GPU - advice appreciated

Post by BlackDog » Wed May 30, 2018 12:44 am

Vonhye hi,

We just did this exercise at the weekend and compared a bunch of cards including the MSI ones and I instead went for this one; https://www.cclonline.com/product/21303 ... d/VGA3544/

Slightly quicker on clock speeds and ASUS is pretty solid with good reviews for this card. May be worth considering... mine arrives tomorrow! Can let you know how it goes once installed.

:salute:
BD
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further; it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow across that angry or that glimmering sea

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Wed May 30, 2018 1:22 am

For pretty much the same price you can get an 8GB 1070, which you should get considering that it's only going to be 20-25EUR more expensive. The performance difference is much larger than the price difference.

Also the CPU is pretty ancient and might bottleneck a little bit and you should look to upgrade to 16/32 GBs of RAM at some point. I'd say get the 1070 now, get more RAM ASAP after that since RAM is fairly cheap and then start saving up for a new CPU. If you can afford to upgrade your PC as a whole then hit me up and we'll think about some parts for you to pick up.

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog » Wed May 30, 2018 12:06 pm

PSU is also an area to consider... some of the bigger cards require at least a 600 PSU
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further; it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow across that angry or that glimmering sea

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Wed May 30, 2018 12:36 pm

BlackDog wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:06 pm
PSU is also an area to consider... some of the bigger cards require at least a 600 PSU
True, and the extra dedicated GPU connectors that aren't always on older/smaller PSUs. Good call BlackDog.

Vonhye

Post by Vonhye » Wed May 30, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks Blackdog, I looked at it and it seems a bit more powerful than MSI one, however, none of Czech retailers has it available in stock for any good price atm, so I will either way I will have to wait for some time or buy MSI one :/

Onebad: Where did you find 1070 for just 25 EUR more? All I found were around 100 EUR more expensive. I am afraid I can't afford to get new PC now, so I will buy GPU now. My motherboard is compatible only with DDR3 and with LGA 1156 socket . Should I get DDR3 memory now and later get new motherboard with DDR3 slots and new CPU, or is it waste of money and I should save up for DDR4 RAM, new motherboard and new CPU?

Thanks for heads up with PSU, I have 650W, so fingers crossed all the connectors will be there.

Onebad

Post by Onebad » Wed May 30, 2018 2:10 pm

Just get the 1060 and make sure your cooling system is good enough to keep it cool. Then once you get enough money you can upgrade more stuff and get a decent PC around that 1060. I brainfarted with that 1070 price as I didn't realize I was looking at pounds and not Euros :D

Double

Post by Double » Wed May 30, 2018 8:14 pm

While the i7 875K is still a good CPU for being 8 years old, I think you're going to run into bottleneck issues with the 1070 and quite possibly even the 1060 GPU depending on what your doing.

:salute: DS
"I hate being bipolar, it's fucking awesome!

Vranac

Post by Vranac » Wed May 30, 2018 8:27 pm

Vonhye, don't worry about cooling and the PSU power, these cards are running much cooler than your current card and are drawing considerably less power. I just hope that your PSU isn't as old as your CPU because if you don't have a top quality PSU it should be on a brink what the capacitors inside could endure (these wear out in time).

That price is good and all of these cards are very similar, they don't need some special cooling and all of them could be easily oc'ed a bit if needed with just moving a few sliders in Afterburner.

Don't buy more RAM because you need a new PC and you'd need DDR4 for that one. I don't think you will utilize that 1060 fully with that CPU but that's a good choice if you're playing @1920.

Nev

Post by Nev » Wed May 30, 2018 8:38 pm

I’m in the process of upgrading my rig MB has blown so I have 12gb of ddr3 spare if you want? Either collect from duxford or pay postage and they are yours mate. Will tide you over until you can do a full upgrade.

I have an R9 380 spare but don’t think it’s much of an upgrade :oops:

As an aside i have £600 quid to spend do I go i5 or Ryzen 2?? I tried to build a i7 8700 but havin* to cheap out on mb and ram :?

Always above, seldom on the same level, never underneath.

- Edward Mannock 73 victories