Where to purchase and download Il2 Sturmovik

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Re: Where to purchase and download Il2 Sturmovik

Post by Kit Pepper » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi Mike, Welcome!
I'm probably the newest ACG member and I just went through what you are starting. Here are a few things
that I learned that might make it easier. In my opinion...

First, get a comfortable headset with mic so you can hook up on Team Speak. The guys are great and will help you trough any problems that might come up and it will save you a lot of time

I bought BoM from the IL 2 site. Keep the money with the design team is my belief.

Get the best PC and monitor you can afford.

Controls are subjective. You don't have to spend a fortune on them. Get what is comfortable for you. If you want to get the total physical emersion I would recommend getting rudder pedals with toe brakes, and a throttle control. You don't need anything but a joystick, but they make the simulation more fun and you will have better flight control in the long run.
I have CH Products that are very durable. I got them used online where the best deals are.

I feel that Head Tracking is a must. I was very frustrated trying to have good situational awareness without it. When I finally got it, my experience leaped forward for the better. I use the Delan Clip with the free Open Track app. It is a fraction of the cost of Track IR, easy to set up, and works perfectly.

Finally, don't get frustrated. The game has a steep learning curve and can be very humbling (and tons of fun). The equipment you use can help speed up the learning process, and watching tutorials help a lot too, but in the end it comes down to practice, practice, practice.

Good Luck. See you in the clouds.
Kit

+mikey+

Post by +mikey+ » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:05 pm

Thank you for the valuable information there, Kit. To be honest, I came across these head trackers whilst looking around the internet, concerning the headset and mics that others recommended. I will have a look at the head tracker that you have mentioned here.
Meantime....has anyone heard of "Hattracker" ? I came across the ads for it accidentally and have seen good reviews about it on YouTube. Seems like a good bit of kit for the price....but was wondering if ok to use and compatible with IL2. Regarding buying the sim, I will definitely download it from the original Sturmovik site...because I agree that the original developers should benefit from any sales etc for the sheer amount of hard work and ingenuity that has gone into making this classic flight sim environment a reality for us to enjoy.
I might add that I have had several flying lessons in the past, piloting a Cessna 172 here in Plymouth and flying in sailplanes just outside of Tavistock and have had extensive flying on my paraglider for a long period of time. What I guess I'm trying to say is that my knowledge of flight theory, weather conditions etc and aviation in general is based on sound techniques and professional teachings that I have learnt over a long period of time. That said, I am more than happy to answer any questions that anyone might have and pass on sound advice and facts regarding this fascinating topic, particularly the "secondary effects of controls", whereas every primary control movement has a secondary effect....things like that.
I want to thank you all for being so welcoming and look forward to meeting you all on a mission in the very near future!
All the best....Mike.

Passion

Post by Passion » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:18 pm

What are you interested in flying in campaign Mikey?

+mikey+

Post by +mikey+ » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:08 am

Hi there Passion....regarding aircraft in the BoX campaigns, I have a keen interest in the Me bf 109...the ubiquitous German fighter plane, in that it was a worthy adversary to just about any other fighter plane of any nation in that era. Spitfires and Hurricanes are also my favourite aircraft....these fighters also highly regarded due to their particular design and performance criteria. Of course I'm slightly biased....being British myself....but the fascination for me is that each design had its strengths and weaknesses and it was the skill of the men flying these aircraft that sorted out the wheat from the chaff as it were, probing the enemies tactics and aircraft during combat and learning how to outwit and stay one jump ahead of the enemy....if only to stay alive !
That said, I do realise that I have a lot of learning to do....getting to know these aircraft...how they fly, their advantages and
of course their vices. In my experience practise and procedure is key to the learning curve.
Thanks for getting in touch, Passion and good luck in the skies!

Kai Lae

Post by Kai Lae » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:58 am

Headtracking: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/34 ... opentrack/

The aircraft you choose is up to you, but we're actually short of russian pilots right now so if you are agreeable it's preferred that you be placed in a russian squadron.

Guido

Post by Guido » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:56 am

Mikey

"The fascists have thrown all their reserves into this offensive, including untrained soldiers and every sort of random rabble, drunkards and degenerates." - General Zhukov, October 1941.

While that could describe most ACG members :D , choose carefully!
The VVS has much to offer - as part of our recruitment drive we offer a free potato to every new pilot :B:

A cheap alternative head tracker might suit your needs before you invest too heavily:

http://www.edtracker.org.uk/

Guido

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Guido wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:56 am
"The fascists have thrown all their reserves into this offensive, including untrained soldiers and every sort of random rabble, drunkards and degenerates." - General Zhukov, October 1941.
Can confirm.

+mikey+

Post by +mikey+ » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:47 pm

Hi again Kai Lae and cheers for the potato there, Guido !
Thanks for considering me to join one of the Russian Squadrons...it's no problem at all. I have just ordered a high spec pc from Scan Uk in preparation for joining up, including a 144 meg. monitor and wireless headphones.
The pc won't be delivered until late next week...and I've still yet to decide on which to buy....a yoke setup or a stick set up.
What are your thoughts on this???
I have made my mind up on the head tracker...and will soon be ordering a Track Hat wireless set up....'cause I hate wires!!
I have also yet to download the Sturmovik sim....but obviously will have to wait until my new pc arrives to download it.
I am keen to get up and running as you can probably imagine....and the next few days are going to be a drag until everything arrives.
Thanks again for all the info and advice....and be lucky.
Regards....Mike.

Passion

Post by Passion » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:55 pm

Wait until you've got the game and tried the different types of aircraft before you decide what you want to fly, but as said above VVS pilots are in more demand. If you fancy have a go at some level bombing then come and have a practice with 208.

Good luck

Passion

Jackman
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan
contributor

Post by Jackman » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:31 pm

+mikey+ wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:47 pm
Hi again Kai Lae and cheers for the potato there, Guido !
Thanks for considering me to join one of the Russian Squadrons...it's no problem at all. I have just ordered a high spec pc from Scan Uk in preparation for joining up, including a 144 meg. monitor and wireless headphones.
The pc won't be delivered until late next week...and I've still yet to decide on which to buy....a yoke setup or a stick set up.
What are your thoughts on this???
I have made my mind up on the head tracker...and will soon be ordering a Track Hat wireless set up....'cause I hate wires!!
I have also yet to download the Sturmovik sim....but obviously will have to wait until my new pc arrives to download it.
I am keen to get up and running as you can probably imagine....and the next few days are going to be a drag until everything arrives.
Thanks again for all the info and advice....and be lucky.
Regards....Mike.
This is what i have and the price is not to bad.
http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/produ ... -fcs-hotas

May today be better than yesterday, but, not as good as tomorrow.