Hi all

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Maltloaf
Location: Salisbury Plain, birthplace of British military aviation.

Re: Hi all

Post by Maltloaf » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:41 am

Excellent, if Fred doesn't reply just try and turn up on Sundat 1900 BST and someone will sort you out. It is not an official mission on Sunday so a good time to play and meet people.
"I have never once lost my gratitude for those who were the sentinels and held the line between tyranny and civilisation"

Barba

Post by Barba » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:54 am

Maltloaf wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:41 am
Excellent, if Fred doesn't reply just try and turn up on Sundat 1900 BST and someone will sort you out. It is not an official mission on Sunday so a good time to play and meet people.
Thanks for your reply Maltloaf...See you on Sunday!
:salute:

Elos

Post by Elos » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:46 am

Barba wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:54 am
Maltloaf wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:41 am
Thanks for your reply Maltloaf...See you on Sunday!
:salute:
Saw you disappear a bit early on Sunday, everything allright, Barba?

Gelobt sei, was hart macht.

Barba

Post by Barba » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:25 pm

Hi Elos...Thanks for your message.
No, really not. I tried to take off 2 times but every time I crashed into the ground. Maybe I was too heavy, or maybe I didnt know how to fly the JU-88...or maybe both thing together.
Anyway...I thing it's too early to fly a mission with you. Yesterday I was so confused: I dindt know the target (I didnt understand the briefing pre-mission), I didnt know the route, who was my leader and a lot of other things...

Than, my english is worse than I thought and when there is a lot of people in the channel it's very frustrating :nuts:

Really bad start...
:veryangry:
Last edited by Barba on Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elos

Post by Elos » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:30 pm

Barba wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:25 pm
No, really not. I tried to take off 2 times but every time I crashed into the ground. Maybe I was to heavy, or maybe I didnt know how to fly the JU-88...or maybe both thing together.
Anyway...I thing it's too early to fly a mission with you. Yesterday I was so confused: I dindt know the target (I didnt understand the briefing pre-mission), I didnt know the route, who was my leader and a lot of other things...

Really bad start...
No problem there Barba. There was a lot of confusion because this was a new map, new airfield and we couldn't pre-plan. We all had our issues there, no worries. Hence I strongly encourage you to come and fly with us in real campaign mission coming Sunday, it will be easier for you than yesterday i think. And it's totally OK to have some issues in the beginning. You will really be missing out on something if you don't try it at least once.

Gelobt sei, was hart macht.

Passion

Post by Passion » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:20 pm

Barba wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:25 pm
No, really not. I tried to take off 2 times but every time I crashed into the ground. Maybe I was too heavy, or maybe I didnt know how to fly the JU-88...or maybe both thing together.

Than, my english is worse than I thought and when there is a lot of people in the channel it's very frustrating :nuts:

Really bad start...
:veryangry:
Hi Braba

Firstly I'm going to take a bit of responsibility for you not enjoying last night. You were assigned to 208 for the night but we were flying ju88s which isn't our usual aircraft and the learning curve is steep. We probably overloaded them and it was a very short runway. It took people a few attempts to get airborne.

I thought your English was fine, I dont think my weird Lincolnshire accent helped. I will be on Thursday evening from around half 7. Please don't think you're not ready for campaign. We were all in the same position when we started. The pe2 is easier to fly than the ju88 and we'll get you up to speed in no time.

Passion

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi Barba,

what the others have said is true. In the broader sense, I firmly believe that starting with ACG is actually more fun if you feel a bit out of your depth. It's historically more accurate for new pilots to feel somewhat lost and overwhelmed when faced with real battles, and the feeling of progress as you begin to learn what's what and become part of the well-oiled machine is hugely enjoyable.

I fondly remember my first few flights in 501 Squadron, desperately trying to fly formation and hoping to stay alive long enough to attempt a landing, and now 128 campaign sorties later I'm really looking forward to the day I actually become useful :D My advice would be to stick with it, throw yourself into the campaign and if you feel a bit disoriented at times that's probably about right :nice:
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Passion

Post by Passion » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:51 pm

Broadsword wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:44 pm
Hi Barba,

what the others have said is true. In the broader sense, I firmly believe that starting with ACG is actually more fun if you feel a bit out of your depth. It's historically more accurate for new pilots to feel somewhat lost and overwhelmed when faced with real battles, and the feeling of progress as you begin to learn what's what and become part of the well-oiled machine is hugely enjoyable.

I fondly remember my first few flights in 501 Squadron, desperately trying to fly formation and hoping to stay alive long enough to attempt a landing, and now 128 campaign sorties later I'm really looking forward to the day I actually become useful :D My advice would be to stick with it, throw yourself into the campaign and if you feel a bit disoriented at times that's probably about right :nice:
+1 I sort of miss the nervousness I used to feel when I started flying with ACG on the campaign missions.

Barba

Post by Barba » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:48 pm

Your messagges are so comforting: they help me a lot and they make me feel accepted and encouraged to move forward.

Thank you so much!

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:20 pm

As the others said, you (and all newcomers) are absolutely welcome in ACG. It can be disorientating at first - I remember my first few flights when *everyone* else seemed to know *everything*, were using arcane language I couldn't even understand as a native English speaker (what the fuck was a boost setting? And where could I find one??) - and it was all I could do to flounder through the sky trying to keep the pointy end going forwards. Nowadays I know what a boost setting is, but there is still quite a lot of floundering, low situational awareness, controlled flight into terrain and other such fun... :D

Don't feel bad, don't give up, do come and fly a few proper campaign missions with us - you will be hooked. Because apart from anything else I need someone I can practice my broken Italian on!