LOOKING TO JOIN

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Re: LOOKING TO JOIN

Post by Dickie » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:46 pm

Don't limit yourself to Nvidia. AMD make equivalent cards which may be cheaper.

What is your parts list so we can check it out?

Majii

Post by Majii » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:28 pm

Dickie,
sorry for the delay in responding. Here is what I am looking to purchase for my new rig:

CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - 8-Core 3.8 GHz Socket AM4 105W

Motherboard:
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero AM4 AMD X570S SATA 6Gb/s ATX

Graphics Card:
ASUS ROG-STRIX-RTX3060-O12G-V2-GAMING Graphics Card

PSU:
Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Memory
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

Storage:
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Case:
LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic Black Tempered Glass - PC-O11DX

Case Fans:
Cooler Master SickleFlow 62 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack

Please let me know if anything looks out of place. Monitor and GPU already purchased as a package deal and I hope to purchase everything else in the next few days to be able and join you guys soon.

Thanks
Steve

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:45 pm

Everything looks good from here - that's a good build.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:20 pm

It is, looks sweet - you've future proofed!

OK, so small details now.

1. Does that CPU come with a cooler? If there is no CPU cooler then you need one. When you fix your cooler to the chip after you've fitted it into the motherboard socket you must use heatsink compound between the cooler base and the CPU top to conduct the heat away. You'll very likely be supplied a thermal compound pad to stick onto the chip which makes it easy, otherwise you need a tube of thermal compound to squirt a blob on. eg https://www.overclockers.co.uk/prolimat ... 01-pl.html

You can spend what you like but this is the kind of thing to go for as a minimum https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cooler-m ... 81-cm.html Check dimensions to be sure whatever you get will fit in your case, there are loads of options in the world of cooling - you do not need water cooling btw!

2. Do you have anyone to build this for you? Or is it your first build? It's doable from instructions tbh but if you know someone who has done it before then get them involved.

3. Do you have a monitor? You only need 22inch, they are pretty cheap because they are so common. You don't even need a new one. If you are getting VR then you don't need a fancy big screen anyway.

4. Scrounge a keyboard and mouse.

5. You need to connect this to the internet. That means either you run a Cat6 cable to it from your router and plug into the motherboard. If this is a problem just buy a wifi card, they are cheap and work well these days

6. A tip, when you fit the motherboard it comes with a bit of metal trim for all the sockets it has to fit the case 'letterbox' - make sure you fit that first otherwise you'll plug it all together and realise it's missing!!! I've made that mistake myself!

7. Very important tip. NEVER poke around in it with the power on. ALWAYS unplug and wait for that residual power to drain out (the motherboard should have an LED on it) before touching. ALWAYS earth yourself to drain any static from your body before touching components, you can do this by putting one hand on the case bare metal before fiddling about. And finally, AVOID touching any metal circuit parts of the components, it's best to remove static risk.

What VR headset you getting?

All looking sound though - that's a proper spend but will last you a long time

Majii

Post by Majii » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:43 am

Here is the link for the build in the parts picker I probably should have linked this earlier. I will be using the Reverb G2 VR headset. Mouse and keyboard will be added as well. My wife will be doing the build and this will be her 4th assembly. She has built a few for the kids. Thank you all for taking the time to look at this and offer advise. Very cool of you! Hopefully all goes well with the next part of the journey and I will be flying with you soon.
Last edited by Majii on Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:46 pm

Excellent stuff. Just ask if you need further help

Majii

Post by Majii » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:58 pm

Parts have started arriving. I hope to have everything here by the weekend and start assembly by next week, I can almost feel the flames that are sure to be engulfing my aircraft … the sweet sweet smell of Avgas.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:39 pm

lol it'll be awesome :nice:

Majii

Post by Majii » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:12 pm

Good afternoon everyone,

So anticipation is starting to get the better of me and I am about to purchase the game, however, I want to make sure I get the correct version. I see the Great Battles series which version do I need to get BoS, BoM, BoN All the above ?? My apologies for all the questions. I just want to make sure I am straight when I finally get my stuff together. Thanks again for the help.

Jackman
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan
contributor

Post by Jackman » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:34 pm

smercer wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:12 pm
Good afternoon everyone,

So anticipation is starting to get the better of me and I am about to purchase the game, however, I want to make sure I get the correct version. I see the Great Battles series which version do I need to get BoS, BoM, BoN All the above ?? My apologies for all the questions. I just want to make sure I am straight when I finally get my stuff together. Thanks again for the help.
https://il2sturmovik.com/store/battle-of-bodenplatte/ Get the Standard Edition that's all you nee now :salute:

May today be better than yesterday, but, not as good as tomorrow.