LOOKING TO JOIN

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Re: LOOKING TO JOIN

Post by Donkey » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:29 pm

Laptop is a seriously bad idea. They are more expensive for the equivalent parts, cannot be (easily) upgraded, can often run really hot etc... Desktop every day of the week.

Majii

Post by Majii » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:49 pm

Donkey thank you for the input. I didn’t even think about heating issues (not a computer guy) I will definitely take all your points into account. Thanks again and have a great day.

Steve

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:50 pm

Also, the MS Sidewinder is a great stick - keep it.

I would go budget on the system case but get one with fans and a full size. Don't go mad on the SSD you can install other disks later, even 256Gb will be enough for now. Get a reliable PSU of at least 700W, a brand name Motherboard like ASUS, MSi or Gigabyte but don't go mad, 16Gb RAM minimum in 2x8Gb sticks, I'm not up on the CPU model but you can save on AMD bang for buck, and look for one with a gaming cooler built in. As you are on a budget look at AMD cards too, better bang for buck. Try and maximise your spend on the video card

Beg borrow and scrounge mouse/keyboard. You want at least a 22" monitor - sit closer to it rather than buy a bigger screen, or scrounge one from someone, better that you spend more on the card.

I guess you are going to need a copy of Windows, I have no idea what this costs these days. Sadly most games won't run on Linux afaik because this is free.

I'm happy to be corrected on this as I'm not up to date, this is general philosophy. There's no head tracking with this but you don't need it to fly. Don't be afraid to look second hand for video card, I have a 6 year old Nvidia 970GTX and get plenty of frames, you can probably get a decent rig whole on ebay tbh. If not and you don't know about this stuff do you have someone who can build it for you?

ArcEye
Leutnant
Leutnant
contributor

Post by ArcEye » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:09 pm

Agree with all Dickie has said for component's, personally I prefer intel, Nvidia builds but the new AMD stuff is pretty damn good.

May be worth looking on eBay, or other such auction sites for second hand builds also but don't be tempted to buy the cheap Refurbed gaming pcs that are advertised everywhere as they are generally running CPUs which are well behind times.

With regards to windows I paid £20 for Windows 10 pro for the pc I've just built my son, through a key site and did the same for my build about three and a half years ago.

Look forward to seeing you in the skies soon

Arc

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:50 pm

If you are buying components for a self build please list here first so we can check. For instance Motherboards are designed for 1 chip manufacturer only, but potentially several models. So if you get a motherboard for an intel chipset it'll fit only certain Intel CPUs. This data is listed but happy to confirm it for you.

Majii

Post by Majii » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:33 am

I absolutely will list them for your input/advise. Thanks for offering, this is in the above and beyond category for customer service 😄.

Looks like the wife might be loosening the purse strings a little…would a VR build be worth it our just stick with an IR head tracker? I have no experience with either. Thanks again for your help

Steve

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:36 am

VR absolutely worth it if you can convince the wife to loosen the purse strings. And the IL2 Great Battles series which is the platform we are flying for the foreseeable future is one of the best PC VR experiences available. Although obviously a PC capable of driving VR could also be used to drive track-IR and a 2D screen if you want to split the cost and buy the VR headset later.

Storyteller

Post by Storyteller » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:29 am

I totally agree with Donkey. I bought my VR headset just a couple of months ago and I don't want to miss it in IL-2 ever again. Once I tried to fly in 2D again, but it felt wrong.

So be warned, if you go down that rabbit hole you might not want to come back. ;-)
"The engine's overheating and so am I. Either we stand down or blow up. Now which do you want?"
Squadron Leader Canfield

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:35 am

If you go VR you'll need to be spending another thousand. You can go cheaper for cheaper VR sets however the HP Reverb G2 is the one to get bang for buck (I am told as I'm looking myself) and although you can run that on a 1080 you really should be getting an RTX2060. I can't comment on the best AMD card for it.

I've had one go with VR on an old system about 8 years ago and it was amazeballs, I can't imagine how good it is now.

Tex
Flight Sergeant
Flight Sergeant

Post by Tex » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:44 pm

What part of the world are you in? The reason I ask is that I found an old set of rudder pedals in the garage. I live in Texas, USA. If you are interested, let me know.
Image Howdy Ya'll!