Questions by possible 3 new Members

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Hannibal

Re: Questions by possible 3 new Members

Post by Hannibal » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:35 pm

"Possible member" no2 here:
At first i wasn't that much into playing flight-simulation again, but watching your videos kind of motivate me to give it a try. :nice:
the thing is: my laptop is now more than 3 and a half years old. it has never been high end, but was one of the better ones at the time i bought it. CPU is still great but one problem it always had was its GPU: its a nvidia geforce gt 525M (1GB). new games are pretty slow or laggy (and by "new" i mean everything that got released since 2013 if its poorly optimized). for example, i play company of heroes 2 on mostly low to medium settings and its sometimes pretty laggy if there are many explosions and other effects. but it runs smoothly most of the time.
and as some of you play arma3: i gave up on it since its always running at ~20 FPS maximum.
i seriously give a shit about the 60 FPS "dogma" for pc-games. i dont mind playing at 30 or dropping below 24 in some extreme situations, but i should be able to play smoothly without experiencing too much lag.
is it possible to play CoD with this GPU (maybe with graphics between low and medium)?

thanks a lot!
(hopefully) see you sometime soon!

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:52 pm

Hey Hannibal,

What CPU are you running on your laptop?

The problem with CloD it's that it's not optimised too great and even with a high spec machine you're prone to getting micro stutters. Most members on the forum will tell you that CloD won't run on laptops full stop. I play CloD on a laptop however it's a new gaming laptop which is better than a lot of desktop PC's.

If you post your full specs we may be able to determine if you can run/what needs to be done so you can play.

Hope this helps.
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:05 pm

GPU will be a bottleneck, not CPU, but I get where you are coming from on COH because in RTS the CPU gets hammered with all of the AI shit going on. My gut thinks that you will not get a decent flight experience, and I totally get your point about 24 fps being usable.

I would buy it anyway because it's 10 euros, then have a go. If it doesn't run then you still have the game for when you upgrade in the future, or you upgrade immediately.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:59 pm

Thank you for the quick answers!

TL;DR-version: tested game: it is okay if set to low graphics. i have 2 more questions: 1. do the team fusion mods affect the graphics? if so, i have to install them and try again. 2. do large dogfights (20-30 planes or whatever the size of those fights you play may be) have a major impact on the GPU (i don't really think this will be the case, its just to be sure)

total specs are:
4 GB RAM
GPU: Nvidia 525M
CPU: Intel i7-2670QM (8 cores, 2,20 GHz each)

thanks to Lif and steam's game sharing option, i was able to test CoD and mess around a bit.
i did not install the Team Fusion mods so far, please tell me if the mods change the graphical requirements for the game (especially if they're higher than before). i used the preset missions (like flying over london, france, england etc)
the game is okay if:
- set most of the settings to low, especially forest- and building details
- i do not fly over a large city (the london flight was laggy as hell, might be okay if i just have to fly, but unplayable in dogfight). small citys are okay even on lower altitudes (~400m) without lag and few lag if i get closer to the ground).
- altitude is above 200m, anything below that will lead to high-detail rendering of multiple objects, regardless if its a small city, forest or pasture -> little bit laggy, but i don't think that the purpose of the game is almost plowing the fields (some agriculture sims may be more suitable for that).
- shadows are turned off.

i also tried a small dogfight (10 planes) over the sea and it worked out well. as i was indestructable, i even rammed an enemy plane and it looked totally smooth. please tell me if larger numbers of planes could cause lag.

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:23 am

Here's the specs for Cliffs. To be honest it looks like you check out. You may get some lag in heavy fighting but as Dickie said you should pick the game up and give it a go by joining a game online.

Operating system: Windows® 7 / Vista SP2 / Windows XP SP3
Processor: Pentium® Dual-Core 2.0GHz or Athlon™ X2 3800+ (Intel Core i5 2.66GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 2.6GHz recommended)
RAM: DirectX® 9.0c compliant, 512Mb Video Card (1GB DirectX® 10 recommended) - See supported List*
Video card: DirectX® 9.0c compliant, 512Mb Video Card (1GB DirectX® 10 recommended) - See supported List*
Direct X: DirectX® 9.0c or DirectX® 10 (included on disc)
DVD-Rom drive: 8X
Sound card: DirectX 9.0c compatible
Hard disk: 10GB
Peripherals: Mouse, keyboard (joystick with throttle and rudder control recommended)
Multiplay: Broadband connection with 128 kbps upstream or faster
*Supported cards at time of release:
ATI® 4850/4870/5830/5850/5770/5870/6870/6950/6970
NVidia®: 8800/9800/250/260/275/285/460/465/470/480
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Lif

Post by Lif » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:03 pm

Ok so thanks to training by Mauf, me and a friend manage get in the air alive in about 50% of the cases, depending on airplane ect.

We would like to join you in your sunday campaign, if possible :-)
The only problem is: We flew around a bit on your server yesterday, but it proved to be really really hard to hold even a loose formation mid air. So I don't know if we can be of real value to you as of yet, as we would most likely lag behind, are still unable of proper combat group maneuvers ect.

But we can look really scary, that's a skill too :-D

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:16 pm

Lif wrote: But we can look really scary, that's a skill too :-D

Lifs Warface

Post by Lifs Warface » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:33 pm

That's a Tommy's heart...

Wiesel

Post by Wiesel » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:18 pm

Lif wrote:Ok so thanks to training by Mauf, me and a friend manage get in the air alive in about 50% of the cases, depending on airplane ect.

We would like to join you in your sunday campaign, if possible :-)
The only problem is: We flew around a bit on your server yesterday, but it proved to be really really hard to hold even a loose formation mid air. So I don't know if we can be of real value to you as of yet, as we would most likely lag behind, are still unable of proper combat group maneuvers ect.

But we can look really scary, that's a skill too :-D
Minimum requirements for campaign participation are the following abilities:
  • take off and land
    engine management
    formation flying
So, just give it a little more practice and get ready for your baptism of fire tomorrow.
It is likely that tonight are some people online in TS and on the server you can practice with.
III./JG26 "Schlageter" | 8./JG51 "Mölders"

Dave

Post by Dave » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:22 pm

Eh, I'd say knowing how to land is optional. :P