starting from scratch

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Re: starting from scratch

Post by Kit Pepper » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:03 am

Thanks Dickie, I'll try to do a good job as well when I get up and running. Although I must say, after watching some of the "Ape of the Year" vids (damn that guy's good!), I'm beginning to question my sanity. Pilots like those are going to eat me alive! The more vids I watch, the more nervous get,... but what the hell, I guess I am a little insane. It just makes me want to nail that Jerry even more.... some day perhaps... (dream on son). Actually my goals are more realistic... my intention is to be a good student and learn from the veterans. I hope I can measure up and be a quick learn.

As I said, my first flight sim was EAW (in the prehistoric age), against the AI. I was competent enough I guess, but that was a forgiving flight model and no real opposition. From what I'm seeing, Il-2 is going to be a LOT harder. All I can say is I'm up for it. Meanwhile, I'll watch and wait.

The cool thing about the ACG is, that even getting prepared to join, train, and fly that first mission reminds me of what they must have felt like, which is the point I suppose, and why I want to join. At least that's how I feel about it.

Well, one step at a time. Salut.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:04 am

Ape left us a long time ago. He was a decent pilot for sure, but there are better here :twisted:

HotLunch

Post by HotLunch » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:10 pm

You'll get used to getting shot down. Take it from me. :lol:
More vodka Comrade!

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:21 am

Better that the ape? oh Christ! I'm in for it now.

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Here's the latest progress report. I'm picking up the used CH set (fighter stick, throttle, and pedals), saving more than 60%! The kit has never been used! I'm pretty excited about getting them. The next item is the big ticket... the PC. I have seen lots of high end ones for sale, so I know I'll find one that suits the specs I need. I always believe that more is better. I'll keep posting my progress. When I finally have all the pieces of the puzzle, I'll should join TS and perhaps see if anyone can help me get in the sky.
Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying the forum. I find answers to a lot of things that puzzle me, without me having to ask too many dumb questions (although I still have plenty). And if anyone has favorite Tutorial vids they would recommend, send me a link... please and thank you. I love watching them.
cheers

Ros

Post by Ros » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:49 pm

Glad you are having fun and congrats on getting a good deal.
As for tutorial vids the Air Combat Tutorial library:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwV5RL ... 5gTIiuwGmg

Lots of great stuff there.

Online resources to read, very helpful for background.
a. "Air To Air Gunnery - Theory and Application" by Molders, this goes into great detail and is very useful.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98CP ... 19wN0piWTA

b. "The Art of the Kill" by Pete Bonnani, while written for Falcon 4, this is a great theory book, he even talks about problems of tunnel vision when in a dogfight...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98CP ... 1dqLWI0YnM

c. "In pursuit" This book goes into detail about online WWII fighter tactics.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98CP ... 0thMExXUFE

d. Regarding Shaw's "Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering" a book considered "the bible", here are two good videos covering the Guns and Gunnery sections of the book.

Part 1

Part 2

This should keep you busy for a while, cheers!