Progress report: "falling feels like flying... for a little while"

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Re: Progress report: "falling feels like flying... for a little while"

Post by Kit Pepper » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Hello all,
I just wanted to signoff on this thread.
The finial progress report is that I have made it into the ACG! I'm honored to be with a great group of fellas. It was a learning experience getting here and an even greater learning challenge as I go forward. I'm a proud member of 1/JG51 and I'm a work in progress. My 1st Staffel mates have been great. Patience and encouragement always, and excellent instruction.

My missions so far? I've flown six BoM missions (five officially, first one as a guest), and incredibly have survived them all. You either have to be very good or very bad to do that, and I'm certainly not very good... just dumb lucky. Actually I was lost most the time. Staying in visual contact is extremely challenging. I hadn't even fired a shot until mission 7 when I nipped the tail of a Mig, and was promptly dismissed in flames by his comrade. But I bailed and escaped to our lines. What fun!

I just wanted to thank everyone in the ACG for the help getting me started. I might have given up if it weren't for all the encouragement and expert advice.
And really I hope that anyone that reads these forums and is thinking to join, that what I went through might encourage them to get started too. I came here with zero experience, zero equipment, and zero knowledge, just a passion for WW2 aviation history and a desire to maybe feel what it might have been like for the guys that flew these awesome airplanes in combat. And the ACG is all of that.
So I hope you join too, and we'll see you in the skies.

Salut,
Kit

Elos

Post by Elos » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:25 pm

Kit Pepper wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:39 pm
And really I hope that anyone that reads these forums and is thinking to join, that what I went through might encourage them to get started too. I came here with zero experience, zero equipment, and zero knowledge, just a passion for WW2 aviation history and a desire to maybe feel what it might have been like for the guys that flew these awesome airplanes in combat. And the ACG is all of that.
So I hope you join too, and we'll see you in the skies.
Well said Kit. For all of you guys out there lurking and hesistant of taking the leap, it actually isn't that hard you just need a bit of persistence.

Gelobt sei, was hart macht.

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:00 pm

1000 HOURS!!!

I noticed on my calendar that it's been about 1000 days since I started flight simming. I figure I average about 1 hour a day flight time, that puts me at about 1000 hrs flight time.
I've learned a lot since I wrote this introduction below, and I've learned a lot, although I get humbled often and feel Like I haven't learned a thing. Maybe after 2000 hours I'll start to get the hang of it. One thing for sure... I'm not quitting! (my dad had over 10,000 hrs real time in the USAF).
Kit Pepper wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:43 pm
Well, It's been a couple of months since I happened on "Introduction to the ACG" on Youtube. When it piqued my interest in the ACG I didn't have a clue where to begin. I had nothing but my old laptop, no gear, and no idea what to get. But thanks to the ACG member's forum and tons of tutorial vids, I've learned a lot. I still have more to learn than I already know (like how to land) but I'm making progress. Here's what I've done so far...

1. borrowed an old PC from my brother, the geek, till I can save enough money for a more powerful PC.
2. found a used (good as new) CH joystick, throttle, and peddle kit on line, dirt cheap!
3. purchased CoD Blitz from IL2

I started flying last week! I have actually survived more crash landings than not. The 109's however didn't fare as well. My best landing was wheels up on my belly (gee... I thought they were down?). But after watching more tutorials, I'm getting a better idea what to do. I absolutely must get a head tracking device (probably the Delan). It will make a huge difference (not having to fumble with the hat).

The way I figure it, by the time ACG moves to the Russian front, I'll have my new PC, head tracker, purchase BoM (hopefully on sale), have enough flying hours to qualify and be good enough fodder for the big boys.
Till then...this week's goal is to take off and land... in one piece.

Thanks for all the help and advice gents. Keep'em flying!
Salut,
Kit

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:34 pm

Point of last post... JOIN!

Rex
Leutnant