Progress report: "falling feels like flying... for a little while"

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Progress report: "falling feels like flying... for a little while"

Post by Kit Pepper » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Well, It's been a couple of months since I happened on "Introduction to the ACG" on Youtube. When it piqued my interest in the ACG I didn't have a clue where to begin. I had nothing but my old laptop, no gear, and no idea what to get. But thanks to the ACG member's forum and tons of tutorial vids, I've learned a lot. I still have more to learn than I already know (like how to land) but I'm making progress. Here's what I've done so far...

1. borrowed an old PC from my brother, the geek, till I can save enough money for a more powerful PC.
2. found a used (good as new) CH joystick, throttle, and peddle kit on line, dirt cheap!
3. purchased CoD Blitz from IL2

I started flying last week! I have actually survived more crash landings than not. The 109's however didn't fare as well. My best landing was wheels up on my belly (gee... I thought they were down?). But after watching more tutorials, I'm getting a better idea what to do. I absolutely must get a head tracking device (probably the Delan). It will make a huge difference (not having to fumble with the hat).

The way I figure it, by the time ACG moves to the Russian front, I'll have my new PC, head tracker, purchase BoM (hopefully on sale), have enough flying hours to qualify and be good enough fodder for the big boys.
Till then...this week's goal is to take off and land... in one piece.

Thanks for all the help and advice gents. Keep'em flying!
Salut,
Kit

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Re: Progress report: "falling feels like flying... for a little while"

Post by Dickie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:07 pm

Good good. We can train you though, it'll be much much easier for you and we can get you in campaign then so please come into TS and ask, or arrange to meet in the training thread.

See you soon ~S~

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:20 pm

That sounds great Dickie, my only hesitation is that I doubt the old PC from my brother could handle the online action. It seems to work well enough offline, but I would imagine it would have quite a bit of lag online. But the only way to tell is to try I suppose. I would hope however to make a better showing than I'm capable of just yet.
I know that the ACG depends on new recruits to sustain the group into the future, and I want to do my part as quickly as possible. So I'll get on TS soon and get acquainted. Thanks for all the support. I'm looking forward to some real flight training (god knows I need it).
As far as aircraft are concerned, I get the feeling there is a shortage of 109 pilots, so I've been concentrating on that. I'm told it's a tricky plane to fly (it is for me) but if I learn on it, I would think other types would be easier... or maybe not? But, I'll go where I'm most needed. I'll TS soon I hope.

Shadepiece

Post by Shadepiece » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:14 am

The 109 is difficult, but that makes extremely dangerous if used correctly. See you in the skies soon.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:35 am

If it works offline then it'll work online, and if not it's your internet connection at fault and no PC will handle it. Don't think you need to be a particular standard before coming into TS, we will train you and then decide from that, and often only takeoff is required because the enemy will provide 'automatic landing' :twisted:

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:51 pm

Ouch! you're probably right. I didn't think of that... perhaps I should be practicing bailouts instead of landings.

You did bring up a good point that I was worried about... will my internet connection handle the game?... If not, what do I do then? I have no clue what my band width is or if I can upgrade it to handle online gaming. I do know that my girlfriend's son played some sort of multiplayer game online before... he did complain about a bit of lag occasionally. I guess I won't know until I try. Well, next step will be TS and hear what the pros think I should do. We'll talk soon gents.

Huff Duff

Post by Huff Duff » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Just try it with us online. I have shity Internet as well- 900kByte/s down. Flying works fine for me! As a side note: For the case that You also speak German. We have 6th and 8th Staffel to offer in ACG! Colabaroteurs are also welcome as well :nice:

Carbs

Post by Carbs » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:54 pm

I usually use 'auto-land' - courtesy of the Luftwaffe...! And there's always the parachute if you're desperate...

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Tue May 01, 2018 6:04 pm

notes, May 1;

I DID IT! My first successful landing in a Bf 109 e. I made 7 landings today and walked away from them all... although all of the aircraft sustained damage... 2 were a total loss. But on my last attempt I had it right... lined up... all instruments perfect.... airspeed just right... floating... waiting... keeping my hands and feet calm... trying to breath... "where the hell's the ground?!"... back on the stick all the way... seconds like eternity... "this is it!"... perfect 3 point touchdown! not even a bounce! Christ my heart was actually racing. What a thrill to finialy put her down in one piece! You guys make it look so easy. I was so happy, I thought I might taxi up to the hangers and show the crewchief that I didn't hurt his 109 this time. Then... Damn! I bent the prop trying to taxi. The little bitch waddles like a duck. Something more I have to work on. The chief wanted to kill me!
Oh well... May 1 was a good day. The chief was mad but what the hell... there's a war on.
Salut gents

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Wed May 02, 2018 9:06 am

Great job. Now you are ready for war :D