Progress report: "falling feels like flying... for a little while"

All information about our Campaign and the Joining Process can be found here.

Moderator: Board of Directors

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Re: Progress report: "falling feels like flying... for a little while"

Post by Kit Pepper » Mon May 14, 2018 1:38 pm

Good News! The good people at Delan are on Holiday until 20 May... as a consolation, and if you don't mind a little wait, they are offering 15% off all orders before the 20th. And the price is pretty low to begin with. I plan on ordering it this week! Just use the code word "holiday" with your order for the 15% discount.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue May 15, 2018 10:19 am

:nice:

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Tue May 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Update: I ordered the Delan head tracking and I should get it in a few weeks. It's useless trying to have situational awareness without it. You just can't keep track of what is going on around you and have flight control at the same time.

In the meantime I have been trying to work out the kinks in my set up. First off, I'm having trouble losing all my flight control settings when I log back in. I think it's a Steam issue, so I'm looking into that. Yes, I saved the settings, but they don't reload when I open the files. Not sure why.

I was on TS, but them my headphones crapped out on me. No audio. So there is another piece of gear I need to replace.

But the biggest issue for me really is my old crappy PC. All my controls have a slight delay.... for example, when I push my rudder on my CH pedals, the pedals in the on screen cockpit are a slight half second late. I'm hoping that a new faster, more powerful PC will solve this problem... if not, I'm screwed! Saving up for that, and should have it by the time ACG moves to Russia.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of flight time lately. The beautiful ginger haired lady that nicknamed me 'Kit' when I was a babe (my mom), is now 93 and on her very last days. There is nothing we can do when the time is up... it's just the way it goes. She'll be with dear old dad soon.

For me, I'm a year away from retirement, and I hope to be flying with the ACG soon and into the future. I'll have the time and the gear sorted out by then and can join the bloody fray.

Salut

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog » Tue May 22, 2018 2:54 pm

Very best wishes to you and your family Kit, in this difficult time. Our thoughts are with you sir...

:(
BD
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further; it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow across that angry or that glimmering sea

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Tue May 22, 2018 9:26 pm

Thanks BlackDog, I appreciate the kind thoughts. I'm sorry to say she passed away this morning. She died peacefully. She was a proud Air Force wife to my dad's 33 year career, and they were like a team. She never complained when my dad got a new assignment every couple of years. She just loaded up the 5 kids and made a new home at the next base. She's with dad now, and my sis Karen. We'll meet again.

Nev

Post by Nev » Tue May 22, 2018 10:21 pm

All the best Sir! Really sorry about your mom :(

Always above, seldom on the same level, never underneath.

- Edward Mannock 73 victories

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Tue May 22, 2018 10:21 pm

My condolences, Kit.
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

BlackDog

Post by BlackDog » Tue May 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Kit Pepper wrote:Thanks BlackDog, I appreciate the kind thoughts. I'm sorry to say she passed away this morning. She died peacefully. She was a proud Air Force wife to my dad's 33 year career, and they were like a team. She never complained when my dad got a new assignment every couple of years. She just loaded up the 5 kids and made a new home at the next base. She's with dad now, and my sis Karen. We'll meet again.
Blue skies and tailwinds to them sir...

Our condolences...

As the old saying goes.. 'they dont make em like they used to!'

:salute:
BD
We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further; it may be beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow across that angry or that glimmering sea

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Wed May 23, 2018 10:41 am

Condolences to you and your family from all here Kit.

The 1/2 second lag is normal. Everybody has it.

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Wed May 23, 2018 1:09 pm

Thank you Gentlemen and all at ACG. You are a great group of chaps and I'm happy to know all of you. I'll get through this and be back flying soon.

Dickie, if everyone has that 1/2 sec lag... I don't know how you do it! It requires such a delicate touch and balance to keep from over adjusting... I guess I'll have to practice more to get the feel. I must say, after flying these few weeks I have more respect than ever for the pilots of the ACG. I just hope I can measure up, not get in the way, and perhaps contribute a little.

Thanks again gents, and I'll see you in the sky.
Kit