Progress report: "falling feels like flying... for a little while"

Come in, welcome to ACG. Why don't you have a seat and tell us a little about yourself.

Moderator: Thaine

Kit Pepper
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Re: Progress report: "falling feels like flying... for a little while"

Post by Kit Pepper » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Vranac wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:37 pm
There should be no input delay, Kit. Could you post what CPU and graphic card you have?
Another question, are you training offline or online on some server?
I'm asking that because there is some buggy 'anthropomorphic' thingy in the settings and if you're training in SP and that is checked you might get these problems.
I'm not sure of any of the specs really... all I know is it's an old HP 110 Desktop Series . I'm surprised that it even runs the game at all.

I've been doing most of my "flying" solo on the game, but have gone on "Lead Farm" server a few times as well. They seem to be the same as far as controls are concerned. But I'll check that that is disabled.

Another very annoying problem which cuts into my flight time is that I lose all my control settings when I log off. Sometimes it's just the joystick and not the throttle and rudders, and sometimes it's everything. Keyboard stays the same though. I have to spend 15 minutes resetting everything. I have looked into Steam as the problem but so far haven'y figured it out.

Vranac
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Vranac » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:55 pm

Click on the Start button > System to see what CPU you have.

When you're there you have Device manager up on the left, click there and double click on Display adapters and you'll see what graphic card you have.
You probably have a weak CPU and Blitz increased the CPU load a lot.

Regarding controls go to Steam settings and under the Cloud tab disable 'Enable Steam Cloud synchronization.. '.

Kit Pepper
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by Kit Pepper » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:05 pm

I made the settings changes Vranac, but still have the delay. I did notice that the mouse cursor has a delay on the Steam page as well. It makes me think that the problem is not just in the game. I think it just comes down to having an old slow PC.
All I could gather is it's a HP 110 series, Intel Core i3-3220T@2.80GHz, Speed 2794Mhz, Windows 10 (64 bit), DirectX Card Intel HD Graphics, RAM 16254 Mb, Monitor Refresh Rate 60Hz. All I know about computers is that more is better, and I doubt if this one has enough. But it's all moot when I get my new PC and monitor.
Also, the game crashed when I was spawning, and I lost all my control settings again. I'll try again today and see how far I get.

Onebad
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel
ACG Staff
Contributor

Post by Onebad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Your PC barely meets the requirements of the OS itself (if even) so the game is going to run like shit too.
Once you upgrade to something that can run the sim well everything is going to become much easier once flying is the only thing that you need to focus on.

Shroud of flight sims
Straight Outta Dvoevka

Kit Pepper
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by Kit Pepper » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Yeah. I know it's a piece of shit. It was a throw away I got from my brother. I was surprised it ran the game at all.
But It's all I have for now. The way I figure it... I'll practice as much as I can till I get the new PC. If I get competent enough flying with the delay, I should be better when I get the instant response time of a new powerful computer. By then I should be ready for the Russian meat grinder.
I got the Delan Tracker Clip. So I want to work on getting that set up too. I've come a long way, but still have a long way to go with my setup and gear... not to mention I need tons more flight time and training.

Onebad
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel
ACG Staff
Contributor

Post by Onebad » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Once you get geared up and ready to rock and roll start asking around for help with training.
If you want to become a good pilot then it's not something that's easily done alone - it will take you lots of times to learn obvious things that somebody might just tell you straight up. Lots of folk around, myself included, will be glad to help you get going.

Shroud of flight sims
Straight Outta Dvoevka

Vranac
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Vranac » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Kit Pepper wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:34 pm
I was surprised it ran the game at all.
Me too, if you're sure that you have looked up in Device manager properly, you're running Blitz on the integrated graphic core in your CPU. It seems that you don't have a dedicated graphic card in that PC.

There is a problem with your CPU also, it has only two physical cores and two 'virtual' but these could be used only if there is a free 'room' on these real cores. The problem is all these flight sims are very CPU dependent and they need at least three physical cores.

What you could do is to buy a graphic card first and see how the things are, I'm sure that would be a massive improvement for you. You could look for the gtx 1050 but it would be better if you could afford the 1060. You would be able to use that card with your new PC when you upgrade it.

Regarding your settings, you have conf.ini, confUser.ini and user.ini files in your Documents "C:\Users\'your user'\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover"

Copy and save these files somewhere and you can just paste them back in the folder there if you lose your controls again.

Kit Pepper
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by Kit Pepper » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks Vranac,
I'm of the mind not to sink any money into a sinking ship, and save it for a completely new PC (and monitor) that will have more than enough juice to run the sim smoothly... probably by August... just in time for a cold Russian winter.

In regards to the controls... I have saved them, but when I select the files and load them in the game, nothing happens. Am I missing a step or two?

In the meanwhile, I'm practicing takeoffs and landings. I figure if I can do it with this much lag, it should be a breeze when I have instant response from a good PC. I'd love to train with some of the fellas on the server. Lots of things I'm learning the hard way (trial and error) I could be told once. I'll have my evenings free in the summer, so I hope to hook up with anyone for training. I'm still wondering If I'll be assigned to a 109 group, or if I'll have to lean a new airplane. I read in the forum that the need was in the Luftwaffe... and some of the guys said if I can fly a 109 then I can fly anything... so I'll keep at it till I'm told otherwise. I must say, I do like the 109, despite it's nasty tendencies to try to kill me.

Dickie
Air Commodore
Air Commodore
ACG Staff
Contributor

Post by Dickie » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:30 am

Vranac I'd like to see this "No input delay" for myself from your rig. Can you do a little video showing your physical stick with the screen showing the stick in the background? You don't need to take off, the ground will do. I have a 1/4 second of lag and always have, and I have an overclocked 4500K and 970 card, so my kit is good.

Vranac
Flight Lieutenant
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Vranac » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:28 pm

Dickie wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:30 am
Vranac I'd like to see this "No input delay" for myself from your rig. Can you do a little video showing your physical stick with the screen showing the stick in the background? You don't need to take off, the ground will do. I have a 1/4 second of lag and always have, and I have an overclocked 4500K and 970 card, so my kit is good.
Sure. Are you using a TV? These could have big input lag.