Form 540 Reports for Desert Campaign - 14 October 2012

Anything to do with the Desert Campaign goes in here. Please post your flight reports into this forum.

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Form 540 Reports for Desert Campaign - 14 October 2012

Post by Dickie » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:52 am

Date: 16th June 1941
A/C: Hurricane Ia L for London

The squadron was short handed today, ie it was just me, and Jerry had been pushing hard and Tobruk was under pressure, as were our chaps in the 8th. I took off leading the Ai to the battle area in the west between Tobruk and El Sollum since we had been told that Jerry was active with his Stuka's attacking the front line. I led my flight to angels 18 after heading out to sea and then westward. The other flights were in sight but all disobeyed all of my orders, I'll tear a strip off them for this!
The RT went haywire when those idiot AI got themselves in a fix so I drove my flight down to help, but looking around my own flight had left me - fucking useless. I spotted a Hun 4k ft below me from angels 10 and made an attack but he spotted me and split -S, then I lost everything. After climbing a little northward I picked up a fight on the ground, an idiot trail was going on with a 109 being chased by Hurricanes and his wingman trying to help. I dived in and got some hits onto a 109 as he broke left. I then caught him again at the top of his climb and hit him heavily but these 303's are just too light - we need cannon! I re-engaged again but was attacked from astern myself so I broke away out to the sea and 4 enemy 109's followed me, but I evaded them because I was fast and swung back south and they must've lost sight of me. There an Me-110 fired on me and missed, I out maneuvered him and scored hits onto his starboard engine where he began to smoke. He dived low for home base so I pulled the tit and went for him. Just as I was closing again and started to fire on him tracers flew past the cockpit and I had to disengage. I had caught a packet in the engine which started smoking so though it best to get out, low over the village on the coast north out to sea. The Hun followed so I turned into him for a head on, he didn't like that, I pulled the trigger and scored hits all over his front but we clashed wings. Both AC went in but I got out in time, without a scratch - my lucky day. It was then a local fishing boat picked me out of the water, grateful for the gold sovereigns and blood chit information he took me back to base. During the trip he tried to sell me his daughter but that just wasn't cricket.

On getting back I heard that Hitler had turned on the Russians - what a treacherous snake! Well good, what a clot. He'll find out the hard way like old Boney did, the Bosh will had a hard time against those Bolsheviks.

Damaged
1x Bf110
1x Bf109

Destroyed
1x Bf109

Lost
1x Hurricane Ia